PA 13
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:17:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA 13
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 68
Author Topic: PA 13  (Read 328276 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: August 03, 2004, 11:23:58 AM »

Schwartz is (IMO) the favourite to win PA-13... it's worth remembering that Montgomery county-based Hoeffel still beat Brown in the NE Philly part of PA-13 (despite the merger of two districts the results were very similer in both halves of the district) and that that part of PA-13 was a de facto open seat.

However, 1) Schwartz is not as well known as Brown. 2) Brown is well known and popular in this area. 3) Schwartz is further left than Joe Hoeffel and the reason why Hoeffel was re-elected was because he can portray himself as a moderate (with his voting record, I have no idea how anyone could believe he's a moderate. After this Senate race, maybe the voters statewide will see just how liberal he is.) Schwartz will have a very hard time making herself out to be a moderate.

Brown is going to win this race. PA13 - GOP pickup.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #326 on: August 03, 2004, 12:46:10 PM »

Schwartz has represented parts of the Northeast at various times.  She is somewhat known.  To say she's unknown is false.  I know what Brown's positions are and I don't generally like them.  From reading letters in the Northeast Times there are tohers that share my opinion.  Sorry dude, Dem hold.  As consolation you guys will also hold PA-8 and 15.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #327 on: August 03, 2004, 01:06:16 PM »

Compared to Brown, she is not as well known and you can't argue that.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #328 on: August 04, 2004, 02:11:02 AM »

News for those who have been staying tuned....  The Philadelphia FOP has endorsed Melissa Brown.  Ok KeystonePhil, she got another union.  BIG DEAL! Allyson Schwartz is still CRUSHING Brown in that department.  The catfight has yet to begin.  I'm disappointed in the union for not thinking twice about the issues.  It must seem they could care less about other workers and their only worried about their own hides here.  They get the best benefits and are only concerned about well???  Who knows?  Schwartz has a HUGE machine behind her and the Armageddon has yet to begin.  I have confidence Schwartz will prevail in the Fall.      
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #329 on: August 04, 2004, 03:03:54 AM »

To timsadem (more applies to you) and KeystonePhil:

Have both of you read the positions of both candidates running for Congress.  I know I have and I found Allyson Schwartz is far more clear, concise, and detailed about her stances and what she plans on doing.  I just got done finishing a 5 page report on what Allyson Schwartz plans on doing about freeing our dependence from foreign oil.  Allyson Schwartz has plan to raise fuel efficincy standards and appropritate tax credits where applicable in concise detail.  She also mentions what she has accomplished as a State Senator.  Please note that finding alternative energy soucres plays a key role in our national security.  

I have also read Melissa Brown's.  What are they?  She doesn't want to offend her buddies now does she?  I did mention in a previous post that Melissa Brown did indeed receive a hefty endorsement from the Philadelphia FOP.  Now that were on the subject of political contributors, here they are.  The source is straight from Melissa Brown's website:

Senator Rick Santorum, Pennsylvania:

Front and center.  Wow, Pricky Boy really says what he believes in "family values" in endorsing another pro-choice candidate. He is also a great supporter of workers' rights... NOT!  Voted to cut overtime pay, but hey the Philly police need not worry.  If their OT was voted out by a candidate a President endorsed, surely he would have a brick hurled through his window!  He also supported Jack Ryan a guy that loves to have sex in public clubs.

Congressman Dennis Hastert, U.S. House Speaker

Another winner.  Wants to eliminate the IRS in favor of a Value-added tax or a national sales tax.  IRS elimination would put a lot of Northeast Philadelphians out of work one way or another.  

Congresswoman Deborah Pryce, House Republican Conference Chair

Congressman Eric Cantor, House Chief Deputy Whip

Congressman Roy Blunt, House Majority Whip

Congressman Thomas Reynolds, Chairman, National Republican Congressional Committee

Congressman Tom Davis, Chairman, House Government Reform Committee

Congressman Bill Thomas, Chairman, House Ways & Means Committee

Congresswoman Kay Granger, House Appropriations Committee

Congresswoman Candice Miller, House Armed Services Committee

Congressman Phil English, PA-3

Congressman Jim Greenwood, PA-8

Congresswoman Melissa Hart, PA-4

If Rick Santorum were a woman, this would be it!

Congressman John Peterson, PA-5

Congressman Don Sherwood, PA-10

Congressman Pat Toomey, PA-15

Another guy that sticks to his beliefs. only when it benefits him!!

Former Congresswoman Tillie Fowler, FL-4

Former Congresswoman Susan Molinari, NY-13

Republican National Committeeman Robert Asher

A convicted felon.  Gee and why did the Philly FOP endorse Melissa Brown?  Something must be up or there was some kind of payoff!  Time will tell.

Republican National Committeewoman Christine Toretti-Olsen    

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #330 on: August 04, 2004, 05:58:38 AM »

Schwartz is (IMO) the favourite to win PA-13... it's worth remembering that Montgomery county-based Hoeffel still beat Brown in the NE Philly part of PA-13 (despite the merger of two districts the results were very similer in both halves of the district) and that that part of PA-13 was a de facto open seat.

However, 1) Schwartz is not as well known as Brown. 2) Brown is well known and popular in this area. 3) Schwartz is further left than Joe Hoeffel and the reason why Hoeffel was re-elected was because he can portray himself as a moderate (with his voting record, I have no idea how anyone could believe he's a moderate. After this Senate race, maybe the voters statewide will see just how liberal he is.) Schwartz will have a very hard time making herself out to be a moderate.

Hoeffel didn't win because he was seen as a moderate... PA-13 isn't exactly Texas ya know...
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #331 on: August 04, 2004, 12:23:24 PM »

Hoeffel didn't win because he was seen as a moderate... PA-13 isn't exactly Texas ya know...

Economy is sour here and Melissa Brown thinks it's so rosy and vibrant and the Bush tax cuts were attributable to it.  For having an MBA from St. Joseph's which is a fairly prestigious business school, her positions on economic issues from her website were pathetic.  She maybe had a paragraph with NO full position paper.

http://www.melissabrownforcongress.com  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #332 on: August 04, 2004, 03:05:15 PM »

Oh really? Please tell me why then? I say this with all due respect, I live in this district and people here like to think Joe Hoeffel is a moderate Dem. Unfortunatley, some still believe this even though he has never received above a 10 in the American Conservative Union ratings.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2004, 03:44:55 PM »

To timsadem (more applies to you) and KeystonePhil:

Have both of you read the positions of both candidates running for Congress.  I know I have and I found Allyson Schwartz is far more clear, concise, and detailed about her stances and what she plans on doing.  I just got done finishing a 5 page report on what Allyson Schwartz plans on doing about freeing our dependence from foreign oil.  Allyson Schwartz has plan to raise fuel efficincy standards and appropritate tax credits where applicable in concise detail.  She also mentions what she has accomplished as a State Senator.  Please note that finding alternative energy soucres plays a key role in our national security.  

I have also read Melissa Brown's.  What are they?  She doesn't want to offend her buddies now does she?  I did mention in a previous post that Melissa Brown did indeed receive a hefty endorsement from the Philadelphia FOP.  Now that were on the subject of political contributors, here they are.  The source is straight from Melissa Brown's website:

Congresswoman Melissa Hart, PA-4

If Rick Santorum were a woman, this would be it!

...and you want your points to be taken seriously?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #334 on: August 05, 2004, 01:02:27 AM »

I'm sorry Mr. KeystoneGOPTroll did I hit a nerve?  I actually provide a basis for my reasoning besides listening to the brainwashing of a Catholic high school or that neighbor or relative that sounds like Archie Bunker which you seem too eager to regurgitate on the Forum in different terms.    
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2004, 01:08:16 AM »

I'm sorry Mr. KeystoneGOPTroll did I hit a nerve?  

Ha...I'm the troll? Last time I checked I don't flip out like you. I mean seriously, what was your EXCELLENT argument saying that if Rick Santorum was a woman, Hart would be it. What was the reasoning there?

Don't accuse me of being brainwashed, either. I form my own opinions and just because you are angry that a conservative like myself resides in NE Philly doesn't mean that conservative is "brainwashed."
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #336 on: August 05, 2004, 03:25:41 AM »

I'm sorry Mr. KeystoneGOPTroll did I hit a nerve?  

Ha...I'm the troll? Last time I checked I don't flip out like you. I mean seriously, what was your EXCELLENT argument saying that if Rick Santorum was a woman, Hart would be it. What was the reasoning there?

Don't accuse me of being brainwashed, either. I form my own opinions and just because you are angry that a conservative like myself resides in NE Philly doesn't mean that conservative is "brainwashed."

The Melissa Hart comment was merely an auxiliary talking point.  She is from the same part of PA, has almost carbon copy views both economically and politically, about the same age, and really don't look that much different.  If you haven't noticed, the brunt of my argument were the first two schmucks that are endorsing Brown.  You have not at any point given me a good argument as to why I should vote for Melissa Brown.  Furthermore, considering some of the @ssholes listed above, I stand by Allyson Schwartz even more now than ever!  Please Keystone, I'm sorry Melissa Brown is worthless after Section 8 as far as I'm concerned.  You are defending a loser that has more complex thoughts about Section 8 than she does taxes, the economy, or alternative energy sources combined!  As much as I would like to see the program fixed, I personally think it's pathetic she can not articulate the issues on a website.  Melissa Brown's accompishments show more endorsements than issues.

I hate to bust your balls here, but your arguments have been very weak in Melissa Brown's defense.  Your thoughts regarding these issues are a mere amalgamam of crap from Archie Bunker-like neighbors and the brainwashings of conservative, sometimes religious zealot, Catholic high school teachers, and maybe some poorly educated white men writing articles in the Northeast Times.  I have heard every argument in Melissa Brown's defense many of times before I even entered this forum.  You have not said anything new here.  Any grown adult that trumps the Section 8 issue above all else has an Archie Bunker mentality.. I'm sorry, but I'm telling the truth!  Considering all of this issues that are facing us, I can not afford to be so narrow minded.  As for the Catholic high school teachers, many of them only see two things.. right and wrong.  You and a lot of people in Northeast Philadelphia, parts of my own family included, have no idea about WHY a person needs an abortion.  The people that design the tenets of the Catholic faith haven't a clue to what American society is like.  I have at Catholic school come across very socially conservativve, yet very book-educated Oblates of St. Francis of DeSales.  The problem is many are over the age of 60 and only see things in black and white and what things were.  These people have never had children to show them other ways of thinking.            
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2004, 11:08:47 AM »

Oh please tell me Handzus, why does someone NEED an abortion? I think I know why...they get willingly get pregnant and have no way out so they think ENDING AN INNOCENT LIFE because they didn't want to get pregnant is the way out. Give it a rest, Handzus.

And I have to point out something that really amuses me...you say you want reform in Section 8 but you are supporting a candidate who won't even address the issue! Do you think Schwartz will mention Section 8 during the campaign? Unless asked about it during a debate, I HIGHLY doubt she'll ever mention it.

Oh and please move past your cliches about poorly educated white men that write to the NE Times and the Archie Bunker religious zealots that you always talk about. Why is it that the conservatives always "brainwash" people? I think you don't want to believe that there are conservatives here, Handzus and we aren't brainwashed. I find that to be an excuse whenever I talk to a liberal. They always think that a conservative my age didn't reach the conclusion to be a conservative on my own. Well let me make it known to you Handzus and anyone else, I AM A CONSERVATIVE AND I CHOSE TO BE A CONSERVATIVE. NO ONE made that decision for me.

Also, if you think Brown's only issue is Section 8 you really don't know the candidate. Medical malpractice and tort reform are other big issues she is focusing on. What's Schwartz's message? Is it something like.. I'm not a Republican. I don't support the Bush adminstration. Wow! That's a GREAT platform! Sure. Go to her site and you'll see she has a poll about Cheney being VP. Where is the focus on the ISSUES, Handzus?
Demoteen04
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2004, 09:24:07 PM »

Hello Everyone, This evening I met Allyson Schwartz. She is the nicest lady I have ever met. She is a strong women in politics and I feel she will win PA 13. She has a lot of strong views that I support such as giving the Veterans Benefits back, improving the No Child left behind act, creating jobs in NE Philadelphia and Montgomery County, and lastly a hot topic affordable prescription drugs for all. In response to you Phil, She has never even mentioned the topic of Section 8 reform because she doesn't want to use scare tactics to win this election. She however wants to win on real issues that we her future constituents are faced with everyday. So Phil maybe you should tell your good old friend melissa to stop stressing that issue because I myself frankly is sick of hearing about it and I get the drift that many are sick of hearing it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2004, 09:26:31 PM »

In response to you Phil, She has never even mentioned the topic of Section 8 reform because she doesn't want to use scare tactics to win this election.

...Or she just doesn't want to discuss the issues important to the PA 13 voters...

Oh and Demotroll, I don't think anyone cares about what you are sick of hearing. You don't live in PA 13, you obviously don't know what they voters care about so saying that you are "sick" of hearing about Section 8 means very little to anyone.
Demoteen04
Rookie

« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2004, 09:35:38 PM »

Section 8 housing is not an important issue.To the people of Pa 13 an important issue would be Affordable Prescription Drugs, Revision of the No Child Left Behind Act. I know I do not live in PA 13, but I have relatives, friends, colleagues, and neighbors that do live in PA 13 so I hear their concerns and they are sick of hearing  Stop Section 8 housing vote melissa brown for congress. Melissa has no pryor political experience why do you think she will do so great in washington.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #341 on: August 05, 2004, 09:40:08 PM »

Section 8 housing is not an important issue.To the people of Pa 13 an important issue would be Affordable Prescription Drugs, Revision of the No Child Left Behind Act. I know I do not live in PA 13, but I have relatives, friends, colleagues, and neighbors that do live in PA 13 so I hear their concerns and they are sick of hearing  Stop Section 8 housing vote melissa brown for congress. Melissa has no pryor political experience why do you think she will do so great in washington.

Having prior political experience would been good but because she has none doesn't mean she'll do bad in DC. She'd be a much stronger voice than Schwartz and has great knowledge on the issues. Section 8 is not the only issue. She is discussing medical malpractice reform, tort reform, job creation and homeland security. So you and Handzus should stop thinking her ONLY issue is Section 8. Also, you still don't get that Section 8 IS a major issue here. I don't need to here from someone that's not in this district what is and what is not important to the voters here. Maybe your friends and relatives (colleagues? You have colleagues in what?) might not care about it but they certainly don't speak for voters in Mayfair and Bridesburg who are DIRECTLY effected.
Demoteen04
Rookie

« Reply #342 on: August 05, 2004, 09:51:12 PM »

First of all Phil I have colleagues in the Dept of Recreation and Free Library of Philadelphia in the city. Second of all Phill how will Melissa know how to make job creation when she lived on a farm in RURAL TN. She barely worked a day in her life. So how is she going to make job creation. Homeland protection well tell her good friend Bush to get us out of Iraq and maybe the terrorist will leave us alone by having a presence over in Iraq we are pissing off the terrorist and therefore we will not be safe until Bush is out of office and Melissa is recked in November.Fourth of all my grandmother passed away recently and my grandfather who is still living but moved recently to the suburbs lived in Mayfair and didn't have one problem with section 8 housing. People in Mayfair and Bridesburg who think they have section 8 housing on their block really dont. It is people buying houses and renting/selling houses who are bringing bad people into their neighborhoods. A good realtor in Mayfair told me that. She also told me Section 8 isnt a concern anymore, the real concern are these people buying homes and selling/renting them for half their value and the neighbors think it is section 8 when it is people, not the government/city.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #343 on: August 05, 2004, 10:09:50 PM »

First of all Phil I have colleagues in the Dept of Recreation and Free Library of Philadelphia in the city. Second of all Phill how will Melissa know how to make job creation when she lived on a farm in RURAL TN.

WHAT? First of all, I guess they don't have JOBS on FARMS? That was the most idiotic comment I have ever seen. Secondly, she only lived in RURAL TN for about a year or two as a CHILD. Why don't we talk about Schwartz living in NYC and not even living in PA13. Brown has lived and raised her family here.

And also, what are you talking about Section 8 isn't a problem? Go talk to the actual people EFFECTED by it, Demotroll, not some realtor. Also, saying that people claim Section 8 on their block and really don't is also an idiotic comment. People know when its Section 8 and they know that it needs REAL reform, not just talk. (Actually, like you said, Schwartz won't even discuss it. Hmmm ignoring a concern of the voters?) I think you guys want to downplay the problems of the district. You want to ignore the problems that exist. That is why Schwartz won't talk about it. We have real concerns here in PA 13 and we will have a REAL leader address these concerns in Congress. Her name is Melissa Brown.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #344 on: August 06, 2004, 01:23:01 AM »

I share many of the concerns Demoteen04 just stated on here.  Considering the pitfalls of the Bush Administration, I do not feel any candidate echoing them regardless of their views on Section 8 housing can sway my vote.  I live in PA-13 adn I am voting for Allyson Schwartz.  Prescription drugs need to be more affordable for ALL.  The growth of Section 8 housing has been null since 2002 and  housing prices are skyrocketing in many places.  I fully understand the program has ruined once good neighborhoods such as Frankford, Juniata, Feltonville, Olney, and Harrowgate sour, but there is little if anything Brown can do about it.  Most of what Melissa Brown will provide would be anohter vote for the DeLay-Hastert agenda.  Allyson Schwartz has EXPERIENCE in the political process.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #345 on: August 06, 2004, 01:24:02 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2004, 01:24:11 AM by Keystone Phil »

I live in PA-13 adn I am voting for Allyson Schwartz.    

I would have never thought... Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #346 on: August 06, 2004, 01:32:00 AM »

Considering the pitfalls of the Bush Administration, I do not feel any candidate echoing them regardless of their views on Section 8 housing can sway my vote.

Let me say that though Brown supports President Bush in areas, she does not echo anyone. She is her own voice. If you won't support Brown, fine but don't accuse her of just an echo. She has strong beliefs and she will voice what she believes.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #347 on: August 06, 2004, 01:44:01 AM »

Oh please tell me Handzus, why does someone NEED an abortion? I think I know why...they get willingly get pregnant and have no way out so they think ENDING AN INNOCENT LIFE because they didn't want to get pregnant is the way out. Give it a rest, Handzus.

And I have to point out something that really amuses me...you say you want reform in Section 8 but you are supporting a candidate who won't even address the issue! Do you think Schwartz will mention Section 8 during the campaign? Unless asked about it during a debate, I HIGHLY doubt she'll ever mention it.

Oh and please move past your cliches about poorly educated white men that write to the NE Times and the Archie Bunker religious zealots that you always talk about. Why is it that the conservatives always "brainwash" people? I think you don't want to believe that there are conservatives here, Handzus and we aren't brainwashed. I find that to be an excuse whenever I talk to a liberal. They always think that a conservative my age didn't reach the conclusion to be a conservative on my own. Well let me make it known to you Handzus and anyone else, I AM A CONSERVATIVE AND I CHOSE TO BE A CONSERVATIVE. NO ONE made that decision for me.

Also, if you think Brown's only issue is Section 8 you really don't know the candidate. Medical malpractice and tort reform are other big issues she is focusing on. What's Schwartz's message? Is it something like.. I'm not a Republican. I don't support the Bush adminstration. Wow! That's a GREAT platform! Sure. Go to her site and you'll see she has a poll about Cheney being VP. Where is the focus on the ISSUES, Handzus?

I was about to respond to this earlier today, but our power got cut off.  I am going to first answer WHY a woman needs an abortion.  First and foremost, it could be because of the life of the mother or rape, which if I'm not mistaken you agree with me on.  However, I will emphasize where we DON"T agree.  I can not fully evaluate, as a rational human being, the motive for why a woman needs an abortion for I am not a woman.  I would like to keep that option open for whatever reason a woman chooses.  As for the argument of economic inconveniece, yes it holds water.  I'll start by saying our sex drive fully comes into play at about age 17 or 18.  In the post-WWII era, people dated their high school sweetheart then married at ages such as 18, 19 , or 20.  Most were lucky to even have a HS diploma and worked in a neighborhood factory.  This is coupled with the fact that real estate values were much cheaper and less education was needed to afford necessities.  Unfortunatuely today's economy requires more education and puts students in massive debts they're paying until age 35 in some cases.  This is a major hindurance to having the capabilty to raise a family.  Meanwhile between goign to college and about age 30 when you can finally afford to get married, you will want to have sex.  The "self-control" argument holds no water with me.  A wealthier person can easily affrod to get married at an earlier age... I FREAKING CAN'T!!  Why should a poorer person be denied the pleasure of sex because they can ill afford the consequences thereafter?  In many pre-martial pregnancies, it is better for both mother and baby to terminate a preganancy.  This can not be an easy thing for the mother, but it should be her decision as to whether it is in her best interest. Prime examples include a girl finishing high school or college.  If a girl's education is interrupted, this severly hinders her ability to raise the child and if her partner also has to drop out, potential earnings to better care for the child severely decrease.  This is not an individual decision I feel I can make.

I know the Roman Catholic tenets mean well on this matter, but the Republican party clearly wants to keep the poor.. poor in this case.  The GOP likes to use issues such as this to say "Haha, you got pregnant now you're poor.. boo-hiss for your moral failing and you should have to live with that scar forever."  They LOVE people that have large families becasue it is statistically proven that the educational opportunuites and well-being of childrem DRAMATICALLY decrease after 3 kids.  The GOP loves the fact that kids are less likely to go to college under these cirumstances to they can either be their peons or join the army as the only way out.        
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #348 on: August 06, 2004, 01:47:09 AM »

Considering the pitfalls of the Bush Administration, I do not feel any candidate echoing them regardless of their views on Section 8 housing can sway my vote.

Let me say that though Brown supports President Bush in areas, she does not echo anyone. She is her own voice. If you won't support Brown, fine but don't accuse her of just an echo. She has strong beliefs and she will voice what she believes.

Oh, Brown supports President Bush IN THE MAJOR AREAS!  Abortion has always been a moot issue for me so her pro-choice stance means absolutely nothing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #349 on: August 06, 2004, 01:52:44 AM »

Why should a poorer person be denied the pleasure of sex because they can ill afford the consequences thereafter?

Why? I'll tell you why...because ending a life is more serious than someone fulfilling their own desires. That's a problem in society that you fail to realize. It's this belief that someone's desires come before more important things. It is DISGUSTING to think of someone saying something along the lines of...well I can fulfill my desire and then just get an abortion. No big deal. Now tell me that is not sick. That innocent life is more important to me than anyone's desires.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies