The method to the madness: Trump's post-convention strategy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 09:47:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The method to the madness: Trump's post-convention strategy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The method to the madness: Trump's post-convention strategy  (Read 963 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »

I think I finally get Trump's post-convention strategy:

1. say so many outrageous things that his opponents drown in their thoughts of trying to select which ones to campaign against

2. keep saying more outrageous things so his opponents stay unfocused and have to change messaging each day

(or he seriously lacks sanity)

Thoughts?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »

This.  For a long time I thought Trump was just a blowhard and a narcissist.  But the events of the last week or so have me actually wondering about his mental stability.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:14:05 PM »

Occam's razor.

Either this is part of some sort of convoluted attempt at 12-dimensional chess.

Or

He's an idiot.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 07:18:50 PM »

Occam's razor.

Or

He's an idiot.

This is way beyond being an idiot. Being an idiot would be so tame and safe compared to what Trump is or has become.

Mad genius... or mad genius without the "genius" part.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 07:19:46 PM »

There is no strategy.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:20:09 PM »

Since a big portion of his base is "the poorly educated," maybe his strategy is to make those of us in the college educated group, go insane before November.
Think about it .... we read and debate in these threads daily, we read articles on politics daily (things the poorly educated don't do), increasing our stress levels and hearing trump do the maddening and disturbing things he does. All this just might make us have an aneurism or stroke, or be admitted to a psychiatric ward. Eliminating us a vote for Hillary.
I don't know about you guys, but he almost has me there now .... and it's only early August.

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »

Its pretty simple.

1.) Trump is a complete narcissist.  Its always about him, everything he does is genius, and he's always right.  I'm certain all of this 'nimble navigator' talk has only fueled this.

2.) Trump has an incredibly thin skin.  He's a man who can be baited with a tweet. He literally cannot help but respond when attacked or criticized in any way.  He has to punch back.

3.) Trump has no filter.  When Trump responds to an attack, it literally is whatever he first thinks of.  Again, he just can't help it.  Most people have some sort of filter to prevent us from saying embarrassing/insulting/poorly though out things.  Trump just shoots from the hip constantly, because that's all he can do.

4.) He also is pretty racist/sexist and generally a not-nice person. 

So this is what happens.

Step 1: Trump is attacked. 
Example: Khizar Khan's DNC speech.

Step 2: Trump responds by saying the first thing that comes to mind (no filter).  This is often something offensive or downright mean (because he's just that kind of person).
Example: Trump claiming sexism, saying he's made sacrifices equivalent to the death of his son.

Step 3: Backlash.  People criticize Trump for his response.  Trump, being so egotistical, can't admit he made a mistake.  He HAS to be right.
Example: Republicans like Ayotte, Ryan, and McCain criticize Trump for what he said about the Khans.

Step 4: Trump, being so thin skinned, lashes back at those who criticized him, and the cycle continues.
Example: Trump refuses to endorse Ryan and McCain, and attacks Ayotte.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »

There's no genius. When Trump shut his mouth and didn't have a controversy for a whole month (May 3rd-June 7th) or so, he gained in the polls.

Then he blows it by saying something stupid. Now he has no guaranteed opportunity to fix it.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 09:36:32 PM »

I honestly think hitting the establishment Republicans like Paul Ryan could be an attempt to appeal to more Democrats/Independents. It probably won't work, but it would be a rational explanation.
egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:03 AM »

Occam's razor.

Or

He's an idiot.

How did it happen that an idiot became one of the main presidential candidates? America is full of idiots? No sane people left? Is this the main result of Obama's rule?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:54 AM »

Occam's razor.

Or

He's an idiot.

How did it happen that an idiot became one of the main presidential candidates? America is full of idiots? No sane people left? Is this the main result of Obama's rule?
We've have idiots nominated before. You've had idiots run your nation before.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:53:42 AM »

Since a big portion of his base is "the poorly educated," maybe his strategy is to make those of us in the college educated group, go insane before November.
Think about it .... we read and debate in these threads daily, we read articles on politics daily (things the poorly educated don't do), increasing our stress levels and hearing trump do the maddening and disturbing things he does. All this just might make us have an aneurism or stroke, or be admitted to a psychiatric ward. Eliminating us a vote for Hillary.
I don't know about you guys, but he almost has me there now .... and it's only early August.

I've been saying he's worse than Cthulhu for a while now.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 01:09:06 AM »

Occam's razor.

Or

He's an idiot.

The GOP has spent two decades cultivating idiots and spouting idiocy. Then along came someone who was better at stupid than they were and he took away their idiots.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »

No, there is no “mastermind strategy” behind all this. The truth is that the Trumpster has serious psychological problems. He’s a thin-skinned narcissistic faker and unable to accept the slightest criticism. He wants attention, no matter at which cost. He doesn’t care about others and their opinions, because he thinks he is the king. Nobody knows anything better than he does. He’s the best business mind, the best military leader, the best economist and so on. I suspect there went something wrong during his childhood. Probably he was never good enough for his father and so he developed a deep seated mental illness. Though he likes to play the tough guy, he has probably very little self-confidence. Therefore he always needs attention. To me, it looks like he’s suffering from inferiority complexes. That’s also the reason why he likes to put himself in the victim’s role (“press treads me bad” and so on). In short: The Trumpster is mentally sick.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »

No, there is no “mastermind strategy” behind all this. The truth is that the Trumpster has serious psychological problems. He’s a thin-skinned narcissistic faker and unable to accept the slightest criticism. He wants attention, no matter at which cost. He doesn’t care about others and their opinions, because he thinks he is the king. Nobody knows anything better than he does. He’s the best business mind, the best military leader, the best economist and so on. I suspect there went something wrong during his childhood. Probably he was never good enough for his father and so he developed a deep seated mental illness. Though he likes to play the tough guy, he has probably very little self-confidence. Therefore he always needs attention. To me, it looks like he’s suffering from inferiority complexes. That’s also the reason why he likes to put himself in the victim’s role (“press treads me bad” and so on). In short: The Trumpster is mentally sick.

Interesting thoughts.  I am not sure I would go the full length to pronouncing him mentally unstable, but there is definitely something psychological there. Either, as you suggest, an inferiority complex developed in childhood, or a fundamental unhappiness with his life (in spite of the millions) resulting in the need to constantly reaffirm himself in public.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 09:40:05 AM »

He 'Gish Gallops.' It makes him impossible to engage with on any issue. Even one's he raises.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 10:03:32 AM »

Occam's razor.
Or
He's an idiot.

The GOP has spent two decades cultivating idiots and spouting idiocy. Then along came someone who was better at stupid than they were and he took away their idiots.

OUCH !
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 10:29:37 AM »

I am getting to the point where I wonder if this guy has a chemical addiction of some sort. Possibly a pill popper, coke addict or whatever. He brags about how little sleep  he needs, for one thing.  My wife has a medical background and she brought this up to me.  It's the grandiosity. We know now that Hitler was getting uppers during most of WWII which IMO led to irrational actions, perhaps including the Holocaust. Terrifying if so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies