New Democratic Coalition is Complete Inversion of New Deal Coalition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:13:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New Democratic Coalition is Complete Inversion of New Deal Coalition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Democratic Coalition is Complete Inversion of New Deal Coalition  (Read 2886 times)
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 02, 2016, 02:37:01 AM »

Coalitions change and adapt to developments, which are constantly ongoing. What was one party's coalition 50 years prior, likely won't be yhe identical coalition anymore. Personally, I don't object to the changes in the Democratic coalition, which had really begun to slowly shift starting in the late 1960s with the rise of liberals like McGovern. If anything, Democrats today are essentially a more liberal version of Rockfeller Republicans and their coalition (friendly to labor interests, allied with big business, focused on education, environmentalism, and efficiency, supportive of immigration and civil rights reforms, internationalist in foreign affairs, and centered in the Northeast and urban areas among college educated and minorities). Sound familiar? I would generally consider myself a supporter of the Rockefeller wing of the GOP (which has long been dead) and gladly welcome a coalition of white educated and minority voters. This shouldn't be a terribly surprising development either considering the white working class and minorities have typically been at odds politically.

Wait, is your username ironic then?  It'd be pretty surprising for someone who reads The Jacobin to support Rockefeller Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies