If Hillary Clinton Is Too Old (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:24:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Hillary Clinton Is Too Old (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Hillary Clinton Is Too Old  (Read 2971 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »

Someone I know from Washington said that an open secret is how poorly Hillary Clinton has aged over the last few years, in terms of reaction time and energy. She responded very quickly and appropriately to the shoe-throwing incident, so the open secret might just be wishful thinking among DC Republicans. Presumably none of us knows whether or not she'll be up to the challenge, and that's something that would be more obvious over the next year as the primary kicks off.

But, when would Democrats be worried? What would indicate that her time as an ideal candidate for the toughest job in the world has passed?

Yes, Hillary Clinton will be younger than Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and John McCain when they were presidential candidates. But different people are affected in different ways. It's possible that Joe Biden will be sharper and more energetic, despite being five years older.

I'm not saying that she's too old to be a good nominee/ President. But at what point would it be a problem?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »

Republicans weren't worried about Reagan in 1980 and certainly not worried with him 4 years older in 84' We aren't worried now. Add 4 years and you have Biden's age and its clear he will run if she doesn't, and possibly even if she does.
I know vigorous people in their 80s and decrepit people in their 60s. It's not just about calendar age.

The question isn't about whether her age will be a negative, since we don't know. I'm curious about what it would take as a fan of hers to be concerned. At what point would party actors feel the same way?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »

Clinton's age is irrelevant, as others have said, it's her health that's important. Age shouldn't be a barrier in running for President - as someone who's a fan of Reagan, and as someone who backed Paul in the 2012 primary, it would be extremely hypocritical for me to grill Clinton over her age.
Age and health are tied together. You're closer to the grave at 68 than at 60.

I don't see this being an issue at all in 2016.  You just don't criticize the first woman nominee on anything that could be tied to her appearance and have your political career survive.  If she is personally concerned about her health, it might be her plan from the beginning not to run again in 2020.
A handful of potential nominees won't have to worry about a political career (Well, mainly Jeb.) And there are a lot of surrogates who could make mean comments, while distancing themselves from the Republican party's nominee.

But I don't see questioning someone's age as that significant.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »

Age/health is a valid concern, but unless she has another incident between now and the election, I don't see it being brought up. If there is another incident, she probably won't run. The only way I see her age/health being an issue is if she has another health crisis during the campaign. That could sink her campaign.
I'm not sure it would be so binary, that it wouldn't be an issue unless it's enough to sink her primary campaign.

I wonder if her lead is enough to give her more of a cushion than an Al Gore, Joe Biden or John Kerry. That could end up being problematic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies