Sanders campaign attacks Clinton for hosting fundraiser with Clooney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:08:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders campaign attacks Clinton for hosting fundraiser with Clooney
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Sanders campaign attacks Clinton for hosting fundraiser with Clooney  (Read 2465 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry with this inanity. Has George Clooney become now one of those "millionahs and billionahs" ol'Bernie is railing against?

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »

It's not healthy to have such a persecution complex. Try lying down and taking a breather every once in a while.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 02:42:23 PM »

It's not healthy to have such a persecution complex. Try lying down and taking a breather every once in a while.

Totally agree with your advice to Berniebots.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:53:52 PM »

It doesn't sound like you're working on your breathing there.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 03:09:28 PM »

How dare Hillary Clinton raise money for the Democratic Party! She should attack it at every opportunity and sue it, like Bernie does.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »

I'm really curious how Sanders and other people who berate Democrats for taking donors money plan on funding viable campaigns if raising money like this is bad. Seriously, how? Not every candidate can bring in small donors like this. In fact, very few can run a campaign mostly on them and downticket candidates certainly can't - Not nearly enough people care about those campaigns. I seriously doubt Sanders himself could run a competitive presidential race just on the backs of small donors.

All I see are people/Sanders bashing a necessary evil with no alternate, viable strategy. I suppose they'd be happy with Democrats chronically losing to Republicans across the board because they decided to take the high road and lose every race because they were viciously outspent. That'll sure help the liberal/progressive movement!

Until we actually get campaign finance reform, this idea of unilaterally disarming is stupid and reckless as hell.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 04:22:02 PM »

I'm really curious how Sanders and other people who berate Democrats for taking donors money plan on funding viable campaigns if raising money like this is bad. Seriously, how? Not every candidate can bring in small donors like this. In fact, very few can run a campaign mostly on them and downticket candidates certainly can't - Not nearly enough people care about those campaigns. I seriously doubt Sanders himself could run a competitive presidential race just on the backs of small donors.

All I see are people/Sanders bashing a necessary evil with no alternate, viable strategy. I suppose they'd be happy with Democrats chronically losing to Republicans across the board because they decided to take the high road and lose every race because they were viciously outspent. That'll sure help the liberal/progressive movement!

Until we actually get campaign finance reform, this idea of unilaterally disarming is stupid and reckless as hell.

If there's one thing the radical left loves, it's losing. And losing in a humiliating fashion.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »

Sanders seemed to have few complaints taking the money of large ticket donors during his campaigns for the Senate.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 04:24:32 PM »

I'm now convinced Bernie is going to cause trouble at the convention. He's going down with a fight. I've lost so much respect for this man. I used to like him now he's just pathetic like every politician.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 04:37:41 PM »

The optics are terrible, seriously 353K to sit with George Clooney wtf.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »

Seriously does nobody think this isn't terrible optics. 'Hillary Clinton asking for $353k/couple to sit at table with her & George Clooney at 4/15 funder. #EverydayAmericans' https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/713066136393408512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »

The irony here is more than delicious. Really, Lyndon. You've been on this planet for 40 years, and this is the filth you spew out. You need to take a breather and figure out how you stooped so f-cking low.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 05:03:15 PM »

If there's one thing the radical left loves, it's losing. And losing in a humiliating fashion.

Yes, there is something truly pathetic about radicals (in both parties, to be fair) who treat 90% success in moving an agenda forward as an abject failure, worthy of throwing an election.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »

The optics are terrible, seriously 353K to sit with George Clooney wtf.

To be fair, I find this as morally questionable as Bernie asking people on fixed incomes to give him $100 so Tad Devine can make an ad or two for a doomed campaign.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »

Interestingly, they weren't actually raising money for her. The Hillary Victory fund is the group that has been raising money for downballot Democrats. Apparently, Clinton should be castigated for raising money so that state parties can rebuild after 8 years of Obama, but Sanders gets by without raising a penny for anyone other than himself?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »

$353k a person makes a total mockery of all the campaign finance regulations.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 08:07:21 PM »

Sanders seemed to have few complaints taking the money of large ticket donors during his campaigns for the Senate.

Did he ever take more than $2700? Yeah, I didn't think so.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »

Interestingly, they weren't actually raising money for her. The Hillary Victory fund is the group that has been raising money for downballot Democrats. Apparently, Clinton should be castigated for raising money so that state parties can rebuild after 8 years of Obama, but Sanders gets by without raising a penny for anyone other than himself?

Damn straight. Bernie hasn't done squat for the party or the downballot politicians who he needs to help enact even a sliver of his agenda. It's not enough for Bernie to just win his race, he needs to help others as well. That has been an expectation of all presidential candidates and they can't just start after they get the nomination. Hillary has been raising a lot of money for them even way before she became the presumptive nominee once again. So far, I'm not aware of Sanders bringing in anything at all. That's really, really bad strategy, if nothing else.

Though I'm sure the Sanders Cult has a million excuses or rationalizations of why this is OK. That's something they have lots of: Excuses
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 09:17:05 PM »

How can people even debate this - At this point I am convinced the Hillary hacks are just blind ignorant low information people who are not the sharpest knife in the jar Hillary would shoot someone on the street & they won't care.

I would be disappointed with my candidate - 353,400 per person entry? Are you kidding me?

She is a store house of corruption - Lobbying for Boeing while receiving Millions of $ from Boeing in Clinton Foundation & 1000's of $ through speaking fees. She has used her SOS to benefit her personally including from foreign governments.

There are so many conflicts on interest, there should be a thorough probe & she should go to jail.

Fraudulent person who pretends to be for the people & charges 353,400$ per person!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 09:23:46 PM »

Good to learn from the Berniebots that George Clooney and his wife are corrupt plutocrats like the Koch brothers.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 09:43:07 PM »

Good to learn from the Berniebots that George Clooney and his wife are corrupt plutocrats like the Koch brothers.

It's as if some people can't accept that some wealthy people give money just to support candidates whose agenda they want enacted. One of my friend's parents gave over a thousand dollars to Obama in 2012 and her family is far from wealthy. They didn't get any favors. They just wanted to help a man who they believed in get re-elected. So imagine what movie directors/stars whose net worth(s) are anywhere from hundreds of millions to even billions can give and think nothing of? Clooney, whose net worth is 180 million dollars, could give 300k and not lose a wink of sleep. Spielberg as well.

Don't people realize that a lot of these guys donate even more to charity? Helping to get a politician who supports things like climate change and environmental regulation elected president is just as worthy as some charities, because it furthers their philanthropic goals. Given the regulations Obama has been pushing in his tenure for the environment, donating to him is almost as effective as donating to other traditional environmental groups in terms of getting things done.

Yet all people see is "OH LOOK HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS - IT MUST BE FOR FAVORS. THEY MUST BE CORRUPT!".

I swear, the ignorance around the debate of campaign donations is mind-boggling
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 09:53:05 PM »

It's as if some people can't accept that some wealthy people give money just to support candidates whose agenda they want enacted. One of my friend's parents gave over a thousand dollars to Obama in 2012 and her family is far from wealthy. They didn't get any favors. They just wanted to help a man who they believed in get re-elected. So imagine what movie directors/stars whose net worth(s) are anywhere from hundreds of millions to even billions can give and think nothing of? Clooney, whose net worth is 180 million dollars, could give 300k and not lose a wink of sleep. Spielberg as well.

Don't people realize that a lot of these guys donate even more to charity? Helping to get a politician who supports things like climate change and environmental regulation elected president is just as worthy as some charities, because it furthers their philanthropic goals. Given the regulations Obama has been pushing in his tenure for the environment, donating to him is almost as effective as donating to other traditional environmental groups in terms of getting things done.

Yet all people see is "OH LOOK HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS - IT MUST BE FOR FAVORS. THEY MUST BE CORRUPT!".

You don't see a difference from giving <= $2700 in a primary and giving $353k?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »

These money will go to the Democratic party's coffers, not Hillary's.
What part exactly is so fycking difficult for your little brain to understand?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 10:04:43 PM »

Oh, I see the difference. What my posts were about, if you bothered to read, was that a fundraiser in Hollywood with donations coming from actors, directors and other types is hardly a breeding ground for nefarious corruption and a lot of these people already give money for the same causes with no real expectations of special favors.

The reason I care about campaign finance reform so much is because so many wealthy people give money expecting damaging favors. If people want to contribute for inconsequential favors or nothing at all, then that's fine by me - As long as we have these absurdly high donation limits, we have to make peace with this type of stuff.

Look, jfern, I'm going to be blunt: You're one of the biggest Bernie hacks on this board. Almost every post you make has either some pro-Sanders or anti-Clinton comment embedded in it. You never pass up an opportunity to spread your bias. I'm not going to engage in any sort of back and forth with you because you have zero interest in any rational, objective conversation. I see little chance of you actually thinking about the idea of campaign financing from any perspective but the Sanders-approved idea that "all massive donations are bad, no matter what, no matter the situation"
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:03 PM »

This is 100% standard for democrats.  Hang out with a celebrity in Hollywood and charge hundreds of thousands of dollars per plate.  All the liberal rich people get together, give money to Hillary's PAC, have a few drinks and party all night.  For some of the rich guys who are usually too busy, it's a convenient opportunity to get invited to a party where they can hobnob with celebrities usually outside their social circle.  For celebrities, they like feeling like they're friends with the president (Clooney loves this of course).  For Hillary, she gets the glamour of associating with these people (and who knows, many of them probably are legitimately fun to spend time with) and millions of dollars for her PAC.

Obama did it like every week.  Sanders is just jealous.  Maybe he can see who wants to spend time with Mark Ruffalo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies