Will Bernie run and will he go Indy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:45:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Bernie run and will he go Indy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Bernie Sanders will...
run in Dem primary only

run in Dem primary and general as Independent

run as Independent

not run

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Will Bernie run and will he go Indy?  (Read 2553 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: April 16, 2015, 05:22:39 PM »

as I've pointed out before, if he ran as an Indy spoiler he would face retribution from the Dem Senate caucus re: committee assignments.  they could turn him into a backbench ghost, and it's not like he can caucus with the GOP, so he'd have zero leverage.

so even if he genuinely doesn't give a sh**t in a Clinton v Bush race he will not run as an Ind.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 07:23:59 PM »

as I've pointed out before, if he ran as an Indy spoiler he would face retribution from the Dem Senate caucus re: committee assignments.  they could turn him into a backbench ghost, and it's not like he can caucus with the GOP, so he'd have zero leverage.

so even if he genuinely doesn't give a sh**t in a Clinton v Bush race he will not run as an Ind.

he's 73. how many more senate terms does he have left anyhow? if he ever wanted to go all in, now would be the time.

as Wulfric below me pointed out, 73 is hardly all that old for a Senator.  he's a lock to be re-elected in 2018, and thus serve until early 2025.

he's also not one of these Senators who can walk out into some six-figure private sector job, and now that Feingold's out he's probably near the bottom in personal net worth among all of the Senators.  those six more paychecks of ~$175k have meaning to him.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »

Depending on how negative his relations are with Clinton by the end of the primaries, I honestly believe that he could pull a Eugene McCarthy and run as an independent in the general election.

McCarthy didn't run as an independent in '68, he ran in '76.  despite hating Humphrey more than he hated Carter (I'd suspect).

I doubt McCarthy left Chicago in '68 physically capable of running a campaign any further.  something had died there, and even Gene McCarthy, hardly a radical of any sort, could sense it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies