Kentucky Governor’s Crime Plan: Volunteer ‘Prayer Patrols’ Roaming The Streets
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:30:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kentucky Governor’s Crime Plan: Volunteer ‘Prayer Patrols’ Roaming The Streets
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kentucky Governor’s Crime Plan: Volunteer ‘Prayer Patrols’ Roaming The Streets  (Read 2745 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 09:15:13 AM »

We live in an age of mass incarceration, growing racial tensions, and serious questions of justice. One Givernor is actually trying to introduce needed reforms to our law enforcement system, and you people deride it as weak or incompetent simply because he is a Republican. Let's not forget that the prison-industrial complex was a Clinton project.

Exactly why do we "need" religious police?

And I'm opposed to it because it's a step towards theocracy, not because he's a Republican. (Or are you saying that all Republicans are freedom-hating theocrats? You might have a point, there.)

Because I don't think someone should go to Hell for the petty crime of being a police officer or stealing some Jordans. I don't know why you think Heaven should be bereft of minorities or the poor, but maybe a Prayer Brigade can set you straight.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »

This might help a bit to the extent a large group of folks wandering around, might tend to stop criminal activity within their view of sight, in the way a street with a lot of pedestrians might be safer than an empty street. On the other hand, there is a risk that these prayer folks might get hurt. Policing is very high skilled job (or should be), but other than being more sets of eyes, wandering around praying for folks is not "policing."

that's a kind assessment, Torie comma and not entirely inaccurate period however comma this ignores the fact that local police departments have engaged in helping organize Community block watch and neighborhood watch programs for decades. This is absolutely nothing new. My guess is that if, and only if there are a handful of Bevin partisans who want to organize these prayer watches, they will be minimal and number and, more importantly, will fade out within a couple months when the novelty and issue dies down.

Let me add an additional observation. The communities most in need of additional neighborhood watch patrols are those least supportive of Governor Bevin. I can see all too easily where a number of Bevan zealots organize to conduct prayer Patrol in bad neighborhoods that they have absolutely nothing to do with. This is not exactly Community organizing or self defense against Crime. Little good will come of that scenario, we're a bunch of Republican religious right organizers do prayer Patrols in inner-city Lewisville, Lexington, or Covington.

As previously noted, this is simply Governor Tea Party abdicating responsibility for doing anything about crime levels and the government's responsibility to combat it. This is really no different than that idiot Congressman Walberg saying we shouldn't worry about global warming because God will find a solution for us.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »

Will they be armed?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2017, 03:15:57 PM by JA »

Yes. With the word of the LORD. Amen.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »

Not enough.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »

That's not what Jesus said (though we should probably provision them with Holy Water just in case).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »

That's not what Jesus said (though we should probably provision them with Holy Water just in case).

They have a vampire problem?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 03:57:24 PM »

Nah. It's Kentucky. The vampires they have already lost most their teeth. BAH-DUM! CHING!
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »

So it would seem
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2017, 06:08:44 PM by Torie »

This might help a bit to the extent a large group of folks wandering around, might tend to stop criminal activity within their view of sight, in the way a street with a lot of pedestrians might be safer than an empty street. On the other hand, there is a risk that these prayer folks might get hurt. Policing is very high skilled job (or should be), but other than being more sets of eyes, wandering around praying for folks is not "policing."

that's a kind assessment, Torie comma and not entirely inaccurate period however comma this ignores the fact that local police departments have engaged in helping organize Community block watch and neighborhood watch programs for decades. This is absolutely nothing new. My guess is that if, and only if there are a handful of Bevin partisans who want to organize these prayer watches, they will be minimal and number and, more importantly, will fade out within a couple months when the novelty and issue dies down.

Let me add an additional observation. The communities most in need of additional neighborhood watch patrols are those least supportive of Governor Bevin. I can see all too easily where a number of Bevan zealots organize to conduct prayer Patrol in bad neighborhoods that they have absolutely nothing to do with. This is not exactly Community organizing or self defense against Crime. Little good will come of that scenario, we're a bunch of Republican religious right organizers do prayer Patrols in inner-city Lewisville, Lexington, or Covington.

As previously noted, this is simply Governor Tea Party abdicating responsibility for doing anything about crime levels and the government's responsibility to combat it. This is really no different than that idiot Congressman Walberg saying we shouldn't worry about global warming because God will find a solution for us.

Yes, I understand it is symbolic (with a political angle that is not particularly pleasant, and clearly imprudent, and might lead to its own tragedies for the reasons you suggest), and mostly jive, and will fade rapidly if it happens at all. So I agree with you. I try to be kind these days. I don't always succeed. But I try. Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 01:22:05 AM »

We live in an age of mass incarceration, growing racial tensions, and serious questions of justice. One Givernor is actually trying to introduce needed reforms to our law enforcement system, and you people deride it as weak or incompetent simply because he is a Republican. Let's not forget that the prison-industrial complex was a Clinton project.

And I'm opposed to it because it's a step towards theocracy, not because he's a Republican. (Or are you saying that all Republicans are freedom-hating theocrats? You might have a point, there.)

People walking around the neighborhood  praying with people is theocracy, is it?  Remind me then,  what is so bad about theocracy again?
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 07:09:08 AM »

People walking around the neighborhood  praying with people is theocracy, is it?  Remind me then,  what is so bad about theocracy again?

Google "Iran theocracy" or "beatings in Saudi, stonings", etc.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 12:22:33 PM »

Quite obviously not what we are talking about here.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »

Yeah, the government-authorized religious police would have bibles instead of qurans when they harass and attack citizens. Big difference.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 04:37:38 PM »

If anyone needs a fair warning that the Republican Party is becoming an authoritarian Party, at least in some States, then here it is.  
He suggested that communities do this on a local level. This is not legislation or law, so what you are posting is a bunch of lies put together by the purposefully misleading title.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »

Yeah, the government-authorized religious police would have bibles instead of qurans when they harass and attack citizens. Big difference.

I'm confused about what you think praying with people involves Huh
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »

Again, the issue here isn't that we're going to have religious police like Saudi Arabia whacking people with sticks for not covering their heads and faces, having shorn beards, or hemlines showing ankles. It's the fact he's abdicating his government's responsibility to properly fund law enforcement and instead opting for a grossly lacking publicity gimmick.

Sadly, Bevin probably really thinks will solve everything fine for much the same reason Congressman Tim Walberg recently announced God will save us from global warming.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies