UK leaves the EU... will Scotland get another referendum? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:12:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK leaves the EU... will Scotland get another referendum? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: UK leaves the EU... will Scotland get another referendum?
Scotland wins independence in a new referendum

Scotland remains in the UK if there's another referendum

They won't allow another referendum

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: UK leaves the EU... will Scotland get another referendum?  (Read 1608 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: June 23, 2016, 09:36:59 PM »
« edited: June 23, 2016, 09:42:55 PM by Beef »

If the UK leaves the EU (looking almost certain with the vote margin right now)... will Scotland get another referendum?

If it does, will Scottish independence win this time? Many of the Scots who voted to stay in the UK did so to keep the UK in the EU.

I think it's inevitable, and I think Scotland will leave the UK.  Meanwhile Northern Ireland will have a closed border (Edit: I mean, not a free border, but one with customs, etc.) with the Republic, having been dragged away from Europe by Unionists.  That won't cause any tension at all.

God help us all.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:53:43 PM »

I think we can organise this while working out means to join the EU/take Britain's slot and hopefully join the Euro, which sorts out the currency issue.

In the 2014 referendum they said they would keep Sterling, lol.  Certainly joining the Euro is the sensible solution, even if there are drawbacks to monetary union.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:52:17 PM »

If I were a Scot living in England, or an English living in Scotland, facing the prospect of a hard national border, this would be a very sad day for me.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »

If I were a Scot living in England, or an English living in Scotland, facing the prospect of a hard national border, this would be a very sad day for me.

There are now 1.2 million Britons and 3 million EU residents now facing the prospect of hard national borders between the EU and the UK so it's sad days all around.

Very true.  But EU residents have only a few decades of integration and free movement.  Scotland has been one nation with England and Wales for over 300 years.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies