Opinion of Jim Lehrer as moderator (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:59:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Opinion of Jim Lehrer as moderator (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Just curious
Good

Bad

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of Jim Lehrer as moderator  (Read 1860 times)
RJ
« on: September 26, 2008, 11:30:25 PM »

Lehrer did something I haven't seen in debates on TV before: he let the debate actually happen.

In the past, there was this format in which one candidate gives an answer while the other then gives an answer, and by the time the issue has past viewers can't see exactly what the differences are between either of them are; each debater bores the audience with some long drawn out explanation. This time, the debaters actually addressed each other(Lehrer actually encouraged the candidates to engage each other.) Each style has its perks. With the traditional way, you don't have all that interrupting or someone trying to talk over someone else(I really like that part of it---giving each person the chance to speak.) The two interrupted each other and interjected frequently, and it became difficult to sort out who was saying what. On the other hand, the contrast between the two was more apparent, and it was easier to distinguish who said what. I think this style was more beneficial to Obama than McCain.

Overall, Lehrer's style of letting the candidates have at it was effective enough, but I don't know if I'd like to see every debate in this format. Lehrer did a good enough job of it. I think he did so because he recognized the fact that the electorate is polarized and the public wanted to see the two snipe at each other directly and not through some campaign ad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies