Impact of Russian attack on Georgia on American Presidential election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:54:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Impact of Russian attack on Georgia on American Presidential election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Impact of Russian attack on Georgia on American Presidential election  (Read 5168 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: August 10, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »

None.

I love how this somehow hurts Obama despite his having nothing at all to do with it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »

the opening act on a drama authored by Vlad Putin to reconstitute a Russian empire, with himself as emperor (in fact, if not in name).

he's gonna have a pretty tough time doing that given that NATO seems to be surrounding him to the west

Not really.

First, Russia will absorb Byelorussia.  No problem from NATO.

Then, they'll take back the 'stans.  Again, no real opposition from NATO.

Then, it will turn out that the baltic republics will somehow "provoke" the Russians, which will force the Russians to attack and aborb the baltic republics.

Question is, will a President Obama have the cojones to oppose Russia seeking to recover Alaska?

Don't tell me you believe this. Belarus seems reasonable, as do (to a far lesser extent) Ukraine and Kazakhstan. But the rest of Central Asia is a very long shot. The Baltic states hate Russia, and it'd mean another Korea. And what the fuсk are you talking about with Alaska?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:24:45 PM »

I am ignorant about a great deal of things. I am not ignorant about history. Certainly not Russian history. Not after all the time I've spent poring over Volkogonov and Khrushchev's memoirs and the transcripts of the show trials of the Great Purge.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:14:02 PM »

I am ignorant about a great deal of things. I am not ignorant about history. Certainly not Russian history. Not after all the time I've spent poring over Volkogonov and Khrushchev's memoirs and the transcripts of the show trials of the Great Purge.

You've seriously read those?

Aye. Great reading.

CARL, I now full well what Russian imperialism means. I know what happened at Katyń. I also know that Putin will practice realpolitik. Like him or not, he's certainly very intelligent. You had to be to get ahead in the dog-eat-dog world of Soviet politics. He's learned from Gorbachev's mistakes, and Brezhnev's mistakes, and Khrushchev's mistakes, and Stalin's mistakes. And he doesn't need hard power. He wants soft power. Ukraine 2004 proved that conclusively. He won't attack the United States. That would be stupid, when he can dominate the world economically instead. And there are no irredentist Russians in Alaska. Russia irredenta does not include Alaska. It has been centuries since the bear looked east. If there was a movement, we would've seen it in the last 150 years.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 01:58:30 PM »

First, the Russians seized the islands of northern Japan after World War II.

Second, the Russo-Japanese war was the result of Russian building railroads and other facilities in Manchuria.

Third, in 1969 the Russians were planning on hitting China's nuclear facilities in Sinkiang.

All of these events have happened in the last hundred years, and there are more.

Now, no one I know of doubts that Putin is intelligent, or thoroughly ruthless. 

He will use whatever force he deems necessary to obtain his objectives.

Do you have any idea of his background?

Finally, you seem to believe there need to be irredentists to cause an attacks.  That is simply false.  All that is needed is for a thug like Putin to believe that he can seize assets he wants with little risk.

But all these examples of Russian imperialism have been aginst weaker countries. I agree with most of what you say, but then to say that he would attack Alaska is an amazing leap of faith.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:19:02 PM »

Also, you still have shown NO understanding of the pull of Russian imperialism.  Not simply an insult, but rather an observation of your failure to understand a key concept.

Russian imperialism is concentrated on Europe these days, in case you haven't noticed. It isn't focused much on Alaska.

Ah, the shifting storyline,

first it was 150 years (and I provided examples disproving that allegation)

now its "these days"

when the Russians intervene in one of the 'stans, what will your story be then (you really need to think ahead when providing defending aggressors as changing your story, as you have on this thread, makes rational people doubt your allegations).

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Not in the decade, most likely, but Russia could intervene there.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 05:49:03 PM »

My timeline hasn't changed. I asked you to give an example of Russian aggression against Alaska in the last 150 years. You haven't provided one, have you?

I never denied Russian imperialism. I denied that it would extend to Alaska.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies