Did you ever attend a school with any of the following?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:11:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did you ever attend a school with any of the following?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Check a box for each thing you ever had at your school (pre-university), even if it was in different schools or grades.
Cheerleaders

A class valedictorian or class rankings in general

Hall passes and/or hall monitors

Prom as a romantic or "dates" event

Shop class (wood, metal, anything)

Home Economics class

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 91

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Did you ever attend a school with any of the following?  (Read 1703 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2021, 05:28:37 AM »

2, 4, 5, 6. (though two was only really publicised in the graduating class).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2021, 06:22:42 AM »

voted all.  FTR, I went to largeish (my freshman class had 650) urbanish HS in suburban St Louis from 87-91.

We didn't have students "monitoring" the halls, but we certainly had "hall passes" that you're supposed to have on you.  If it was during one of the lunch periods (10:30 to 1:30) you were "free" (we had an "open" campus, which meant you could walk uptown to get lunch or drive to a fastfood place), but they still didn't let kids roam the halls where classes were going on.

Everyone took Home Ec and shop in middle school to get a taste.  There were a lot of shop type classes in high school.  They built an entire building for it in the 50s, then built another building a few miles away in the 70s exclusively for it.  It had a huge garage, an old jet and an old helicopter, but I don't think they ever actually worked on them at least not while I was there.   I don't know what Home Ec classes were available in HS, but there were certainly some.

They gave out the class rankings on every report card, but I'm not sure anyone cared, certainly none of my friends.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2021, 09:02:49 AM »

They gave out the class rankings on every report card, but I'm not sure anyone cared, certainly none of my friends.

That's something I've never heard of before.  I wonder how common it is.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2021, 10:12:37 AM »

All of the above.  I actually was a cheerleader thru middle and high school (big surprise, I know). 
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2021, 10:13:36 AM »

No
and i think was not possible in Italy
not common people in my classes
elementary school: a Eritrean girl, the son of a murderer
middle school: a Hungarian girl (we are talking of iron curtain time), the niece of math teacher, the 8th grade italian teacher was secretary of him town communist party chapter (not this was so strange at time) and he said that i was a old guard commie (old guard at 8th grade), a boy from the Bronx, NYC
high school: last year (here 13th) a girl with a daughter (she came to school without the daughter),
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2021, 10:45:55 AM »

That's something I've never heard of before.  I wonder how common it is.

My school had quarterly cumulative updates like this when I was in school - or at least halfway and final updates
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2021, 11:50:04 AM »

I don't remember whether or not my school had a Home Economics class (although it did have a Culinary Arts class). But yes, we had cheerleaders, who were, with the "jocks" (that is, the star athletes) and the top members of the classes, the most popular and well-known students in the school. We did have hall monitors, consisting primarily of the security guards and some of the faculty members. I remember that prior to the start of school, and on "Cougar Connection" days, that monitors would be stationed in the hallways, and would demand to see a pass or to know where a student was headed.

There was one elderly man, a faculty member, who worked at the school for more than thirty years (and retired at the end of my Junior year, if I recall correctly). I had to go to a awards recognition event held by the Dean, and the man demanded to see my pass for it, which I showed him. There was also an older female security guard, who rigorously enforced the "no hat" rule indoors.

My school did have a prom, for Juniors and Seniors, although I was not interested and never went to it. And I didn't have anyone to go with anyhow, since I never dated or had any relationships in high school (or in college). Finally, the school had a woodworking class and an auto class as well, if I recall correctly (or it may have been a metalworking class). Obviously, I was never in either of those classes, or in Culinary Arts. And I wasn't in any of the school's music classes, bands, or choirs either, nor was I ever involved in athletics. I am not a musician, handyman, or an athlete.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2021, 02:22:51 PM »

When I started junior high (grades 7-9) /high school (grades 10-12), we had of those things, but the early seventies were a time of change, driven by Title IX (1972) and the rising power of the teachers union.

In grades 7 and 8 we had quarters of shop classes alternating with art, shop including woodworking, plastics, and electronics. In anticipation of Title IX my eighth grade (70-71) had cross over weeks where the boys got a sampling of home economics and the girls got shop. So I had a week of cooking, a week of sewing, and a week of typing/shorthand. Ninth grade provided for more shop electives, but they also opened up registration for boys to take home ec and vice versa. I signed up for cooking, but it was full and I was told that girls had priority for the class. Not so much progress after all.

Hall passes were always required, but by my junior year, teachers weren't checking them anymore. They decided that it was an unreasonable requirement that was not in their job description, and if the school board and administration wanted to check hall passes they could do it themselves.

There was a traditional prom until my senior year (1975) when it was replaced by a senior dinner. Many felt it inappropriate to expect boys to be asking girls out to dance by then. Some still came as dating couples, but many came with groups of friends. Three buddies and I rented a limo, and somehow convinced many of our classmates that it belonged to one of our fathers who was incredibly wealthy (fake news - he wasn't).
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2021, 02:49:46 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2021, 06:07:37 PM by pool water is very cod 🥶🥶🥶 »

1. Yes
2. Have no idea
3. Yes, duh
4. Yes, though I haven't been asked out  Cool
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. No
SInNYC

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2021, 03:25:31 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2021, 03:33:28 PM by SInNYC »

All of them. Not only that, but shop/homeec were required - girls were automatically enrolled in homeec and boys in shop. I had to subject my parents to a pathethic little thing I made in shop class.

Schools dont have these anymore (minus the gender based requirements)?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2021, 04:36:38 PM »

Cheerleaders: Yes, at the high school level.
Valedictorians or public rankings: The names of the top ten finishers, and their rankings, were published every year.
Hall passes or hall monitors: Hall passes were ubiquitous prior to high school.
Prom as a romantic or "dates" event: Yes, absolutely. There were a number of rituals around it, and based on the reminiscences of the teachers, this seems to be getting more rather than less important over time.
Shop class: Yes, at the high school level, but as an elective and not taught at the actual high school but somewhere off-campus.
Home economics class: Yes, but only at the middle school level. Was mandatory for both genders.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2021, 08:48:50 PM »

Cheerleaders: Yes
Class Rankings/Valedictorians: Yes, but only the graduating class receives ranks
Hall Passes/Hall Monitors: Yes, both in middle + high school
Prom being romantic: Yes
Shop and Home-Ec: Yes. They were both mandatory for both genders in middle school, and are electives in high school
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies