End Sports Profiteering Act of 2014 (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:58:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  End Sports Profiteering Act of 2014 (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: End Sports Profiteering Act of 2014 (Law'd)  (Read 3347 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: July 15, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »

I've stayed out of this heretofore because it's been like, "Ehh, I'm missing something."

I have it.

As to the original proposal. . . Uh, purchasing every professional sports team and their stadiums and then turning them over to local authorities? [Cough, choke, ahem]. Does anyone have any idea what that would cost? (IRL look at the The Yankees, The Patriots, the Redskins, the Steelers. . . and I've just begun). Aaaaah! Haha. Don't think that will work. Ain't signin' that check, fellas. Tongue Not unless I'm missing something.

Could it be possible to encourage or provide incentives for local municipalities to purchase franchises? My guess is the goal here is to turn everyone into the Green Bay Packers, which is very noble, but I don't know that we can legislate or afford that. I'm open to suggestions, though. The case of the Packers was also a very unique situation. They were in really dire financial straits and facing some kind of legal action, so the city of GB saved them, basically.

I'm also not sure how all of this would impact TV deals.

Does the fed government even contribute to stadiums?

No.

Way back the Washington Redskins may have had federal help, but that was unique, of course.

Usually it's a mix between private and state or city public funds via a tax if a referendum is passed.

Yeah.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

X DemPGH, President

I think this is wise, but I could support giving municipalities incentives or rewards, whatever that might look like, to purchase franchises on their own. As I mentioned, in the rare event that this happened in the past, it was because of really dire straits.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies