Do you calibrate your political commentary to influence peoples voting behavior?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:40:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you calibrate your political commentary to influence peoples voting behavior?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you calibrate your political commentary to influence peoples voting behavior?  (Read 260 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:52:26 PM »

I am not talking about situations where you’re acting in an official capacity for a campaign or activist organization.  Only talking about what you say about politics as a private citizen, either to people you meet in daily life, or on an online forum like this one.

And I’m not talking about obscuring your true political beliefs because you’re trying to be polite or not offend people, or even just because you don’t want to get into a big argument right now.  I’m specifically asking if you ever obscure your true political beliefs or choose your words carefully because you would like to get someone to vote the way you want them to vote.

I ask because I’m seeing more and more commentary these days (both on this forum and elsewhere) from Dems suggesting that ordinary Democratic voters (not just Democratic politicians like Hillary Clinton, but regular Dem. voters) drove a certain segment of the voting public into Trump’s arms by not being sufficiently respectful of them or something.  I am skeptical of the idea that regular people have that much power to flip other people’s votes, or that even if they did, they could stop doing so via some kind of collective decision to start talking differently about politics.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 02:58:21 PM »

Yes, but not on Atlas of course. In one on one conversation with a swingy voter, I'll take a very light persuasive tone but I'm not super invested in it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 03:11:36 PM »

Maybe. I tend to talk about issues I care about, and if I care about them, I tend to have strong opinions that will inevitably bias my understanding. But thats pretty much everyone.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:57:46 PM »

Only if I absolutely abhor a candidate or person's ideology.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »

Depends on the context and there are obviously limits.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies