SENATE BILL: Promoting Responsible Foreign Investment Act of 2014 (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:57:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Promoting Responsible Foreign Investment Act of 2014 (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Promoting Responsible Foreign Investment Act of 2014 (Failed)  (Read 1717 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: June 28, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »

To the contrary, Section 2 mandates job creation and job growth. This is how a lot of European countries rebuilt their industrial economies after World War II, and I don't see a reason why not to use our power to control trade to do the same here. You assume that these multinational corporations will go on strike and not sell anything in the Republic; I believe that is a naive assumption, given that the Republic is the largest market for those products and said corporations would be shooting themselves in the foot by not selling products in that market.

Section 3 is designed to prevent our debt from being essentially taken over by foreign powers. I don't know about you, but I don't feel entirely comfortable knowing that both the Japanese and the Chinese hold the amount of Atlasian debt that they do. It would be far better that, assuming we cannot sell our debt abroad, we sold it at home (as was the case Pre-1970s) to stakeholders here. Let's let Treasury bonds flow to union pension funds, community groups, schools, etc. Why should we let tyrannical regimes abroad (China) fund our operations when the Atlasian worker can do the same?

This bill is designed to promote responsibility in foreign investment. Section 1 deals with the fact that foreign companies march into the U.S. and then run union-free, anti-labor workplaces. If you don't believe me, I'd point you to Nissan, Toyota, and all the auto magnates in the South. That part of this bill would require that those companies not resist if their workers decide to form a union. I think that's fairly little to ask from them, personally, since we're letting them build cars in the states and have access to our internal markets.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »

Aye FTR.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies