Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 04:26:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission  (Read 6347 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: January 22, 2010, 08:16:15 AM »

I basically agree with you on the opinion.  I also agree with requiring disclosure for corporations.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:19:27 PM »

It's impossible for the vast majority of people to understand what this decision really means right now. It'll be 15 or 20 years before the full impact begins to be apparent. By that time I expect the skepticism towards this decision will be much greater. But for now it's as if the Supreme Court struck down laws against child labor. "Child labor? What's that? Why's that so bad?"

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard.  I'm really surprised to see you say this.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:37:44 PM »

It's impossible for the vast majority of people to understand what this decision really means right now. It'll be 15 or 20 years before the full impact begins to be apparent. By that time I expect the skepticism towards this decision will be much greater. But for now it's as if the Supreme Court struck down laws against child labor. "Child labor? What's that? Why's that so bad?"

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard.  I'm really surprised to see you say this.

Why?

Because it's hyperbole to the most extreme extent in terms of effect.  Legally, the Supreme Court's decision was correct here - I can't make the same argument about the child labor cases (or the minimum wage cases, etc..)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:12:49 PM »

The Justices of 1907 saw what unfettered corporate political speech meant; the Justices of 2010 never have.

I simply disagree - legal interpretation of the extent of political free speech rights (whether individual or corporate) in 1907 were extremely limited in comparison to today (and had been considerably expanded in comparison to earlier periods in American history). 

In other words, you could spend as much money as you wanted but the manner in which you could spend your money in promoting ideas was quite limited.

I know where you're coming from - the idea that corporations had rights protected by the Constitution is a Lochnerian concept.  That being said, the weakness in the logic promoted by those against this decision is the assumption that corporations are not already deeply involved in political speech, if not driving it entirely.  Lest I return to the issue of Obama's campaign contributions as a classic problem with this theory.

Moreover, present campaign finance laws inevitably choose which corporations have enhanced political speech rights and which ones don't, not to mention encouraging corporations to find loopholes in the laws to circumvent such restrictions.  I honestly believe that this would even occur even in a highly regulated system which removed all money from politics.  So, we'll end up trying the other way - corporations can spend whatever they want, but will end up having to disclose information about who created the advertising and hopefully in the laws written, disclose all those persons behind the scenes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies