Who will be the Libertarian and Green Party nominees?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:24:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who will be the Libertarian and Green Party nominees?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who will be the Libertarian and Green Party nominees?  (Read 2087 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2016, 06:12:10 PM »

I highly doubt Johnson or Weld run again, and I don't think either would make it out of the primary again. If I had to guess right now, Austin Petersen is the clear favorite.

As for the Greens, the only person who could wrestle the nomination away from Jill Stein is Nina Turner, but Stein is pretty beloved by the activist-left, so I think she'll get it again.

I also happen to think third-party vote share will be way down in four years, but we'll see.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 06:16:08 PM »

I think the "no step on snek" wing of the Libertarian party (the one my dopey brother likes) will win but it won't matter.
For the Green party, I don't think Stein will run again and/or win. It will be someone slightly more mainstream than Stein imo.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 10:44:56 PM »

GP will be Stein or a no name but the libertarian will be Rand Paul who challenges Trump like Reagan did to Ford in the Rep primary but unlike Reagan will leave the party over Trump and get the libertarian nom
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 10:53:40 PM »

Greens: Some activist or minor celebrity.

Libertarians: Either Austin Peterson or some ex-GOPer running a protest campaign
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 12:23:34 AM »

Re: the Libertarian party, I read somewhere that Johnson said he's not running again in 2020.
Re: the Green party, Jill right now is the Green party.  Ten years ago, the party had candidates running for mayor in San Francisco, and people in various state legislatures, but that's not the case anymore.  Jill had said that if Bernie was the Democratic nominee, she would have stepped down and endorsed him, so lets wait and see who the Democratic party nominee is first.  Regardless, I don't think she will run again.  She did it twice, and it's probably time to move on.  Honestly, if I were her I would run as a Democrat.

To answer your question, I think it will be no names for both parties.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 12:26:34 AM »

GP will be Stein or a no name but the libertarian will be Rand Paul who challenges Trump like Reagan did to Ford in the Rep primary but unlike Reagan will leave the party over Trump and get the libertarian nom

No it won't be Paul, unless he leaves the Senate, or becomes an independent (hint: he won't).  You can't run against the Republican candidate when you're a member of the Republican caucus in the Senate.  That's why the only Republicans willing to run against Trump were people who were not active members of the party like Johnson, Weld or McMullin.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 12:41:37 AM »

I don't know if the libertarians are ready to nominate a pro-lifer yet, which is what Petersen is. They do seem to be heading in that direction, but I don't know if they'll be there in 4 years.

Adam Kokesh will probably get it.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 11:22:55 AM »

No it won't be Paul, unless he leaves the Senate, or becomes an independent (hint: he won't).  You can't run against the Republican candidate when you're a member of the Republican caucus in the Senate.  That's why the only Republicans willing to run against Trump were people who were not active members of the party like Johnson, Weld or McMullin.

I think he can, he definitely can primary the president like Ted Kennedy did to Carter. But yes, I am not sure if caucus rules will be supportive of him contesting with the Libs - He will have to surely let go of the GOP Senate seat. Or if he doesn't he will be considered a traitor & will find re-election difficult.

He is a smart guy & he wouldn't do it. I think he will run again in 2024 when he will be 61 only.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 03:24:50 PM »

Gary Johnson and Jill Stein both lost any credibility this election.

Johnson had the chance to be a legitimate third party alternative but couldn't put the bowl down long enough to prepare.

Stein spent the whol election insisting there is no difference between Trump and Clinton, and then scammed foolish leftists out of $7M when things...went awry.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »

Green: David Cobb, Roseanne Barr, Gayle McLaughin, Cheri Honkala, Howie Hawkins, Luis Rodriguez, Nina Turner, Chris Hedges
Libertarian: Nicholas Sarwark, John Monds, Robert Sarvis, Austin Petersen, Ruth Bennett, Larry Elder, Carla Howell, John Moore, Mark Madsen, Mary Ruwart, Steve Kubby, Kerry Bentivolio, Justin Amash
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 09:07:50 PM »

Green: David Cobb, Roseanne Barr, Gayle McLaughin, Cheri Honkala, Howie Hawkins, Luis Rodriguez, Nina Turner, Chris Hedges
Libertarian: Nicholas Sarwark, John Monds, Robert Sarvis, Austin Petersen, Ruth Bennett, Larry Elder, Carla Howell, John Moore, Mark Madsen, Mary Ruwart, Steve Kubby, Kerry Bentivolio, Justin Amash

Nina Turner isn't running as a Green.  If she runs for something it will be as a Democrat for Ohio governor in '18.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »

I don't know if the libertarians are ready to nominate a pro-lifer yet, which is what Petersen is. They do seem to be heading in that direction, but I don't know if they'll be there in 4 years.

Adam Kokesh will probably get it.

The only reason I'm not calling you crazy is because the audience booed Petersen and Johnson for saying that you shouldn't be allowed to sell heroin to a five-year old.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 01:05:20 AM »

Jill Stein still has plenty of recount money left over and has gotten a name recognition boost so the Green nomination is hers again if she wants it.

The libertarian party should be interesting with Austin Petersen(Pro-life and pro-religious freedom laws) and Adam Kokesh( self-described anarchist) being radical movements away from the centrist almost American version of "red toryism" that Johnson and Weld ran on. Maybe if Trump is very unpopular a republican officeholder like Thomas Massie or Tom Coburn could run. Though there's always the chance the party gets hijacked by white nationalists and nominates Richard Spencer or something
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 03:00:49 PM »

Libertarians: Either Austin Peterson or some ex-GOPer running a protest campaign

Yeah, but I think the only two GOPers that could get the nomination in a protest campaign is Rand Paul or Justin Amash.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 11:00:12 PM »

Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 01:23:37 AM »

It would be funny if Jill and Gary are nominated yet again and eventually become the Norman Thomas of their respective parties.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »

Greens: Some bernie or buster
LP: Peterson
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »

Please please please let it be Perry.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »

Libertarian: Austin Petersen. He placed 2nd in the LP race against an experienced Governor who has declined to run again (so, a + there) & an eccentric millionaire. Knock on wood, but I think he's got this in the bag.

Green: Jill Stein. I mean, her exploiting of Democrats' hopes & fears w/ the election audit in late Nov. kinda shows that she already appears to be gearing up for a 2020 run
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »

For the LP: Gary Johnson and Darryl W. Perry will likely not be options this time, because Johnson has indicated that he won't run and Perry has indicated that he'll endorse Kokesh.

Austin Petersen has to be the most likely option, despite his limited credentials, although he's said that he'll step aside if a "hero" of his runs. He's even named some heroes: Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel, and Justin Amash. I think that there will be a draft movement for Napolitano, although he is old and likely will not be interested. Stossel isn't a politician and Amash is better served remaining in the GOP, so I don't think they run either. Petersen may enter and win by default, but I hope somebody with some experience steps up instead.

Petersen should beat Kokesh in a head-to-head matchup, as this year's Johnson and Petersen delegates would go to Petersen and McAfee delegates would split, while Kokesh can only count on Perry delegates. That's something like an 80% to 20% landslide.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »

Austin Petersen & Jill Stein.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 11:31:40 PM »

Only 1 person mentioned Hawkins and no one mentioned Jorgenson. LOL.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies