Hypothetical Policy Question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:12:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Hypothetical Policy Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you vote to fund the conflict? (PLEASE READ BELOW)
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (D)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Hypothetical Policy Question  (Read 760 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »

Assume for a moment that you are a member of your national legislature. You have been elected on a platform opposing the use of force in a potential military conflict concerning your own nation and another in an election wherein this was the major issue at hand. The vote for war has come and you have already made your opposition to the war known by casting a resounding 'no' vote on entering the conflict, along with your fellow party members.

Unfortunately, you have been outvoted, and war has been declared. Now at question before the legislature is funding for the conflict. You voted against declaring the conflict and entering it, but now you must vote of funding the conflict and allocating troops for it. Do you vote in favor of funding the conflict and allocating troops for use in it, risking alienating your own supporters? Or do you vote in against funding the conflict and allocating troops, at the risk of said vote being turned into a bludgeon whereby your political opponents can attack you and your party when you run for re-election?

I would vote against funding for the conflict. Voting in favor of funding a conflict essentially makes any previous stand or vote against it meaningless, and ultimately shows a pretty shallow opposition to said conflict in the first place. Beyond that, I would actively try and corral members of my own party to defund the conflict in a bid to stop it entirely.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »

No (I/O)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 06:31:53 PM by CrabCake »

The annoying thing is that what is done cannot be undone. Although I opposed the conflict initially, it would put my country in a tremendously poor moral position if troops had entered a foreign country, destabilised it and just ran away. I would grit my teeth and pass the bills (although I might also capitulate to national polls, assuming I wanted to get elected again).

I suppose it also depends on how destructive the war was. In this hypothetical example, did my country have a moron installed who (hypothetically) dissolved the entire army and dismembered the civil service? Because if that's the case, I'd vote to keep troops in for quite some time (unfortunately).
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 06:31:23 PM by Deus Naturae »

I'd vote no. I'm not an insane power-hungry type, so the only reason I would ever hypothetically run for political office in the first place would be to vote for stuff I support and against crap I don't. Voting in favor of something I oppose would defeat the purpose of me holding office in the first place.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »

The annoying thing is that what is done cannot be undone. Although I opposed the conflict initially, it would put my country in a tremendously poor moral position if troops had entered a foreign country, destabilised it and just ran away. I would grit my teeth and pass the bills (although I might also capitulate to national polls, assuming I wanted to get elected again).
You would rather they violently occupied the country for years?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wouldn't that create something of a moral hazard? If someone is a moron who refuses to defend himself, guaranteeing him long-term protection would likely just encourage him to continue his moronic behavior.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »

Depends on the conflict. If it is a trivilal matter like our last three interventions in Iraq ('91, '03, '14), than I would not vote for it. Yet, I wouldn't vote to defund a larger war like the Vietnam War as long as our armed forces were in arms way and would seek to reduce our role in the conflict before voting to tie the army's hand behind it's back. Does this make sense to anyone? I feel like I worded this poorly.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 06:44:32 PM »

I would probably take an extra long bathroom break when the vote came up.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »

You would rather they violently occupied the country for years?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wouldn't that create something of a moral hazard? If someone is a moron who refuses to defend himself, guaranteeing him long-term protection would likely just encourage him to continue his moronic behavior.

1) Preferably not violently. I would try and refocus towards peacekeeping. I'd even accept the country easting humble pie, admitting they screwed up and asking for UN peacekeepers to be introduced. I'm not an idealist though. You can't just make problems and run away from them. It will just come to bite you in the backside/

2) Oh don't get me wrong. I'd want the moron we put in charge fired and his "work" hastily repealed. But some reforms are very hard to repeal. You have to remain to fix the mistakes of the blunderous oaf you put in charge IMO.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:08:03 PM »

Yes (D)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »

Yes, although I doubt I would be elected on such a platform in the first place. Tongue
With you in spirit
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »

No (D)

If I vehemently opposed a conflict, I wouldn't want to fund it just because I'd been outvoted.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »

No (D)

If I vehemently opposed a conflict, I wouldn't want to fund it just because I'd been outvoted.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 09:01:57 PM »

Yes, although I doubt I would be elected on such a platform in the first place. Tongue

You could not even envision a hypothetical military conflict that you would be opposed to involvement in?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 09:06:07 PM »

You could not even envision a hypothetical military conflict that you would be opposed to involvement in?

Of course I could. I was merely trying to be humorous by exaggerating my own political views.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »

I cannot vote in the poll because there is no suitable option for my response. What matters is not who wins the next election so much as the issue at hand. The type of conflict is important to deciding what would be in the People's best interests moving forwards.

Where is the war to be fought, how do threat analyses suggest the belligerents compare each other in their capabilities, and what are the anticipated outcomes of abruptly reversing course before the war is either won or lost? All of these considerations are relevant.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 11:45:30 PM »

Of course I could. I was merely trying to be humorous by exaggerating my own political views.

My apologies for not catching the Tongue
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »

BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »

I'd vote no. If I'm being outvoted anyway, why should I compromise my principles?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »

I'd vote No, since voting Yes is, in a big way, means supporting the conflict in question.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies