Santorum loses big in one on one with Romney (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:50:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum loses big in one on one with Romney (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum loses big in one on one with Romney  (Read 2613 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 20, 2012, 11:57:50 PM »

Santorum has some problems:

1.  The exit poll showed that a large number of people what the nomination process to be over.  The will support the person who is most likely to do that, not the guy trailing by more than 300 delegates.

2.  He advertized his strength as appealing to working class voters in the "rust belt."  So far, he's not winning them and he has lost three rust belt states in a row, MI, OH, and now IL.

3.  While Santorum won ND, KS, AL, MS (arguably), OK and TN, he only netted 54 delegates.  On his best day, Santorum only brke even with Romney.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:21:59 AM »

1.  The exit poll showed that a large number of people what the nomination process to be over.  The will support the person who is most likely to do that, not the guy trailing by more than 300 delegates.

2.  He advertized his strength as appealing to working class voters in the "rust belt."  So far, he's not winning them and he has lost three rust belt states in a row, MI, OH, and now IL.

3.  While Santorum won ND, KS, AL, MS (arguably), OK and TN, he only netted 54 delegates.  On his best day, Santorum only brke even with Romney.

His MS win was "arguable"?

It was, on election day 1 delegate, 13, 12 and 12.  AP is now showing Romney with 14 (presumably RNC delegates).  Greenpages is showing Mitt and Rick each with 13 (RNC delegate).  Certainly, in terms of delegates, it wasn't victory.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:44:01 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Forgetting MN, CO and MO apparently.

I can see why. After that drubbing it sort of spoils the narrative.

MN and CO were in February, not March; So was MO, and that netted Risk no delegates.  I didn't cite Romney's FL, NH, or NV wins either, or even SC where where Romney had 2 and Santorum had 0.  I also hadn't factored in WY, where Romney expanded his lead.

The last day when Santorum actually gained on Romney in terms of delegates was February 7, six weeks ago.  He will possibly get a second one on 3/24, but even that will likely be in single digits.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »

His MS win was "arguable"?

It was, on election day 1 delegate, 13, 12 and 12.  AP is now showing Romney with 14 (presumably RNC delegates).  Greenpages is showing Mitt and Rick each with 13 (RNC delegate).  Certainly, in terms of delegates, it wasn't victory.

LOL, you're such a tool.

No, I can do simple math.  I'll try to explain this to this way.  13 = 13.  14 > 13.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »

Are we talking MI here?

MS

Yes, that is why I said Santorum "arguably" won MS.  Santorum does not get, as of yet at least, a plurality out of MS.  AP shows Romney getting 14 to Santorum's 13 and Greenpages shows it 13/13.  That is due to the RNC members, but they have a vote at the convention.

It's the same reason Romney has 22 delegates out of PR instead of 23.  One RNC member supports Gingrich.

In terms of the delegates, the best thing that could happen to Santorum would be for Gingrich to get out of the race (preferably by Friday) and endorse Santorum.  He'd pick up the bulk of Newt's delegates.  Some, like that PR RNC member, that are unpledged, may shift to Romney, but Rick could have a net gain 120-155 delegates.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »

So, Santorum did win the delegates that were available in the MS primary, despite polls showing Mitt up 7. Thanks again winfield.

Yes Phil, Santorum won delegates in MS as did, Gingrich and Romney.  In terms of delegates out of MS, Santorum has 13, and Romney has 13 or 14.  13 = 13 13 <14  What part don't you understand?

No double counting and those, as noted, are now pledge (though they can change their minds).  Ah, so can the entire PA delegation, so I'm wondering why Santorum is putting so much emphasis on it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »

J.J., I know you make quite a few errors in each post but don't refer to Ben as "Phil."

Well, he referred to me as Winfield.  Smiley

Ah, you don't think the PA delegates are pledged, do you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies