What do you think God is? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 02:46:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What do you think God is? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you think God is?  (Read 2025 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: November 19, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »

What is God?

Simply, that which we lack the ability and frame of reference to explain at any given point in time.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »

I recorded a program today on the Star of Bethlehem and am looking at it now. They talked to a bunch of historians and astronomers, to make a long story short. The Magi were clearly demonstrated to be stargazers with knowledge of what we would call astrology. The star itself was possibly Jupiter doing something odd, or a supernova. The point was that it attracted people who watched the sky.

In any event, it made me think how people personalize the cosmos and can quickly assume God when they simply don't have an explanation or are somehow not satisfied with the mundane.

. . . To me, God is a beautiful woman, the mother of earth.

God is also not kind. The God that a lot of people subscribe to is one that directly conflicts with the God we all know and love in the Old Testament, the God that burned down villages and slaughtered women and children. I think God is involved in our lives, but allows us to do anything we want. Sometimes she will play tricks on us. Sometimes she'll teach us lessons. Sometimes she will do nothing. It's all a game to our dear Lord, for her entertainment and ours. There have been too many coincidences recently for there not to be a higher power at work.

Sounds like a significant other! Wink
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2014, 11:37:50 AM by DemPGH »

Was this too wordy or too obvious to get a response?

Well first off, God is love and not a stranger.  The rules God uses are simple so that we can all know them.  God offers a full commitment you won't get from anyone else.  God tries to communicate this in ways we all can understand.

God never gives up on us.
God never disappoints us.
God never leaves us.
God never makes us cry.
God never says goodbye.
God never tells a hurtful lie.

We all recognize God and our hearts ache for God, but we're shy about acknowledging that need for someone else.  But God sees inside us and knows that, so God goes along with the game we insist upon. If we'd but ask God how God feels about us, we'd see the love we blind ourselves to.

Anyway, here's a video that explains it better than I can.

It was too old a meme Smiley

Tbh, I heard that when I was ten, or something very like it, and the older I got the more I realized that it really didn't mean anything to me. It had no meaning.  

To be honest, the strongest reason I have for believing in God is my inability to take the leap of faith that we humans have divined enough of the universe to know that we are only a bunch of biochemicals trying to replicate our molecules.

Biochemical processes are what we have to go on. I suppose I don't see why it's necessary or even desirable to infer some agent behind it that we know literally nothing about.

I think astrology is an excellent example as to why myth and science are simply on different trajectories. You can't conclude unscientific things from scientific information, I guess.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies