We had Ohio and Wisconsin; now republixans go after unions in Indiana. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 05:36:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  We had Ohio and Wisconsin; now republixans go after unions in Indiana. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: We had Ohio and Wisconsin; now republixans go after unions in Indiana.  (Read 4229 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: January 07, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »

I dont that they're gonna win Indiana this time. The Democrat bench here is rather weak in comparison to what the GOP has. Most Hoosiers want Right to Work legislation to pass.

What are they, stupid?

They hear 'Right to Work' and don't have a very clear idea of what it means, nor care.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2012, 01:38:59 AM by Nathan »

So they're just like the other side?

Yes in that vast majorities of any given political ideology are grossly uninformed. No in that 'Right to Work' is significantly more disingenuous than any leftist terms used in labor politics that I can think of (although all this really says is that the right is currently better at political messaging in this country).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »

So they're just like the other side?

Yes in that vast majorities of any given political ideology are grossly uninformed. No in that 'Right to Work' is significantly more disingenuous than any leftist terms used in labor politics that I can think of (although all this really says is that the right is currently better at political messaging in this country).
Conservatives win because they have better social skills? Then again, a lot of them can't get laid...so....

Back to the point. When I first heard "Right to Work", I thought it meant that you were guaranteed a job, not that people could work without paying union dues.

Seriously, though. If you have Right to Work, then we should have card check laws. 

I really don't understand how one can oppose card check laws and claim to be respecting the wishes of the majority. The applicable majority is the majority of the workers who did card check indicating that they want a union.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »

It turns out that the 2 states that lost the most manufacturing jobs are right to work states.  Right to work is one of those political terms that sounds good to people who don't bother to figure out what it actually means, like pro-life or Patriot Act.

How can manufacturing output be increasing when manufacturing jobs are decreasing?

Technological gains in productivity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies