Professor fired for criticizing Israel files suit against University of Illinois (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:38:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Professor fired for criticizing Israel files suit against University of Illinois (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Professor fired for criticizing Israel files suit against University of Illinois  (Read 2816 times)
MalaspinaGold

« on: January 29, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »

They left off the more colorful ones... like "Israel: turning anti-semitism from something terrible to something honorable since 1948."

Also, he wasn't actually fired. Given that fact, I'm not sure he actually has a case. Too bad such a big fuss needs to made over so irrelevant a figure.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:35:21 PM »

The guy advocated mass murder and put the blame for anti-semitism on the victims. He can go to hell, and the hypocrisy of the far left has never been clearer when it comes to "speech has consequences".

So I take it you are equally offended when Alan Dershowitz et al basically advocate Third Reich tactics in eliminating Palestinians at all costs?
Dershowitz of course belongs in an institution- a mental institution. This does not change the fact that the university should have been allowed to fire Salaita.

A nice parallel is how one would have responded to the Brandeis-Ayaan Hirsi Ali fiasco. I can't speak for Ray Goldfield I of course supported the revocation of the honorary doctorate offer.

The guy advocated mass murder and put the blame for anti-semitism on the victims. He can go to hell, and the hypocrisy of the far left has never been clearer when it comes to "speech has consequences".

Did he? Neither, surely, follows from those tweets cited above.
I refer to the tweet I referenced above where he put "anti-semitism" and "honorable" in the same sentence.

And the point I was trying to make about him not actually being fired is purely legalistic. If he doesn't have a legal basis for this current suit, then it's a frivolous lawsuit, and it makes him more of an attention-monger than he already is.

I'm not familiar with all the legal complexities when it comes to the case, but assuming they didn't enter a final contract together, I don't see how he "fired" in the legal sense. Of course he was essentially fired, but not in the legal definition, and thus not in a way that the courts could recognize as a firing.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:45:43 PM »

I refer to the tweet I referenced above where he put "anti-semitism" and "honorable" in the same sentence.

Arguably, he was being deliberately provocative in that statement. There is no suggestion that this was anything but a fairly common rhetorical device. I could understand a computer taking this for an approval of anti-semitism, but an actual human being would have to think first before taking that point of view.

In any case, if tenure was created for some purpose, this was the purpose - to protect unpopular and provocative speach. A university that feels firing is justified in this case should simply abolish tenure.
If there's one thing I hate, it's saying stupid and racist things simply for being provocative and/or edgy. Ayelet Shaked got in hot water for doing the same thing. This is the same reason why Snowstalker is such a scourge to the forum.

If anything, this strengthened the allure of tenure, rather than weakened it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies