Is Malaysia an apartheid state? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:48:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is Malaysia an apartheid state? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Malaysia an apartheid state?  (Read 956 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« on: August 17, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »
« edited: August 17, 2017, 03:41:03 PM by Santander »

If any state could be called apartheid (or at least proudly and institutionally segregationist) it seems to me that uMNO ruled Malaysia is it.

Yet the Chinese & Indian populations are prosperous despite the systemic advantages given to the majority Malays. We have some friends who are ethnic Chinese Malaysian and I've worked with an Malaysian of Indian descent and none have mentioned about 'apartheid'.  
Yeah, but the Chinese have historically been the majority in the main commercial centers of KL and Penang. They also have advantages in JB because of proximity to Singapore and in Sarawak where they're the elite minority in a land of minorities much like the Japanese in Hawaii.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »

If any state could be called apartheid (or at least proudly and institutionally segregationist) it seems to me that uMNO ruled Malaysia is it.

Yet the Chinese & Indian populations are prosperous despite the systemic advantages given to the majority Malays. We have some friends who are ethnic Chinese Malaysian and I've worked with an Malaysian of Indian descent and none have mentioned about 'apartheid'.  
Yeah, but the Chinese have historically been the majority in the main commercial centers of KL and Penang. They also have advantages in JB because of proximity to Singapore and in Sarawak where they're the elite minority in a land of minorities much like the Japanese in Hawaii.

Is that the fault of the Chinese? Do you want to discriminate against them or Indians for that matter because of their business success?

In many places outside of China including the US the Chinese don't immediately seek power via government and political representation and policies to benefit their group on the whole. They are different from for instance the Irish in the past in not seeking political means to prosperity.

... where did I say it was their fault? I am merely saying that it's inaccurate to describe Chinese Malaysians as an oppressed minority, since they aren't a minority at all in the major economic centers. Malays only enjoy cultural and political supremacy, which they would have anyway by virtue of being the majority in a mosaic state, regardless of government policy, and which the Chinese could care less about as long as they retain their economic freedoms. Hell, the Chinese dominate Singapore, yet they retain a national anthem they don't even understand the words to.

I'm not even going to touch the crypto-Hibernophobic part of your post.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies