Rhode Island passed SSM an hour ago, Governor expected to sign within minutes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:09:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rhode Island passed SSM an hour ago, Governor expected to sign within minutes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rhode Island passed SSM an hour ago, Governor expected to sign within minutes  (Read 3354 times)
Benj

« on: May 03, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »
« edited: May 03, 2013, 12:40:10 PM by Benj »

Remaning states which have neither gay marriage nor a constitutional amendent prohibiting it:
Hawaii
Wyoming
New Mexico
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
New Jersey

Of those, I'd say Illinois and Hawaii could happen by years end through legislative efforts. New Jersey and Minnesota will probably have something by 2016. Pennsylvania & New Mexico won't get anything as long as Martinez/Corbett are in charge. Indiana and West Virginia will probably get cracking on a constitutional ban pretty soon if the SCOTUS doesn't stop them first.

And Wyoming is a mystery.

Minnesota is much further along the legislative process than Hawaii. I don't think Hawaii will manage it this year, but Minnesota probably will. Same with Illinois. New Mexico and New Jersey need new governors. Oregon will probably happen sooner than either if they have a referendum to repeal their constitutional amendment in 2014 as planned. The others on that list will probably have to wait for a court decision.

Would my state like to step up, please?

Disgusting human filth infests your governor's mansion unfortunately.

There are much worse Republicans than Chris Christie... but his needless pandering to veto our last attempt was a piss poor showing of leadership on an equality issue.  

Hopefully by now he realizes he has no shot at the GOP nomination so he will do the right thing instead of pandering to the foaming at the mouth Primary crowd.

What pandering? He's offered to allow a referendum on the matter, and that's the way he'll allow it: through the people. The foaming mouth crowd is already outraged by that idea anyways so he could not possibly be pandering to their interests.

And he hasn't been pandering to that crowd EVER. Do you think he would speak so strongly for his muslim nominee to the courts if he did? The guy, while not completely honest in every way, has shown that he speaks out against wackos on his side, not moving to their side. Maybe he won't be running for President, because unlike that slithering snake skinned Rand Paul, Christie hasn't made a marked effort to compromise his ideas to them.

He was pandering because he didn't want to have to defend signing gay marriage. And referenda are the last refuge of the foamers--who do you think forced Maryland and Washington (and Maine in 2009) to vote on the issue?
Benj

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2013, 02:32:37 PM by Benj »

Maryland? You mean the state with no Republicans? Come on man. Washington? The state with striaght Democratic Governor's since the 80s? I'll give you Maine, but that's it. Whats wrong with letting the people decide on such an issue? I think it's a better compromise than having to sign something you're honestly against.

Didn't matter that Democrats controlled the governorship and legislatures in both states. Both states have citizen referendum provisions in their constitutions. The legislatures in both states passed gay marriage without any provision for a referendum. Conservative anti-gay advocacy groups used the citizen referendum provisions to force public votes (as happened in Maine in 2009).

Apparently you're just ill-informed and want us to know.

And, what's wrong with "letting the people decide"? Imagine how such a vote would go in Oklahoma! Or perhaps you think all civil rights should be put to a public vote. I think the 1950s and 60s would have looked quite different, and not in a good way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies