Christie beats Palin by a half point, steals the headlines
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:13:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Christie beats Palin by a half point, steals the headlines
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Christie beats Palin by a half point, steals the headlines  (Read 3965 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 02:25:13 PM »

What are you even trying to prove, that Palin is just as popular among New Jersey conservatives as Christie?  Or that New Jersey conservatives aren't that conservative so that's why they don't like Palin as much as you do?  Either way you're wrong.  Christie was the candidate of the moderates in 2009, Lonegan was the wingnut candidate.  Lonegan did so well because the New Jersey Republican Party has an extremely conservative wing.  That's why it kept losing in the last decade, because it couldn't connect with the state as a whole.  Christie's effective governing and straightforward style have resonated with the whole state and now the conservatives want him on their team.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »

Vick,

How's the injury?  Unfortunately, I don't do talking points, so I cannot go along with your talking points.  You might as well write that Lisa Murkowski is very popular in Alaska.

I am having my cake and eating it too.  New Jersy conservatives are more liberal than conservatives in any other state and yet, they almost like Palin just as much as they like Christie.  I am arguing both assertions are true.  rutgers-eagleton found their net favorables to be similar among the very pro-abortion conservative electorate of New Jersey.

Your argument that the New Jersey electorate has a very large conservative contingent may be true....but then again, every Republican electore has a very large conservative contingent.  The point is that New Jersey GOP likely has one of the smallest "very large conservative contingents" in the country.  What that means is that a repeat of the Lonegan-Christie matchup in 35 of the 50 states would have been a victory for Lonegan.  Look at how badly Rossi, hack Kirk, and Ehrlich won their matchups and compare it to Christie.  None of those electorates are as liberal as New Jersey's GOP electorate with the exception of possibly Maryland.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »

Thanks for playing True "Republican" but that's an "exit poll."

An "exit poll" is a poll of actualy voters.  So it is more accurate than pre-election polls.

No, because it is still using a sample.

NJ voters do not like Palin. NJ GOPers have disregarded her AFTER the 2008 election. She is a POS, and the whole state knows it. I wanted her recruited by the McCain campaign, because she did not show signs of delusions of grandeur or taking "family values" to the extreme. That obviously changed. She is no Republican, because she favors control over people.

Christie did not accept Palin campaigning in NJ, because he would have lost.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »

A tree stump would have defeated Jon Corzine, who was an absolutely dreadful candidate.

Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »

A tree stump would have defeated Jon Corzine, who was an absolutely dreadful candidate.

...but Palin would have lost.

If she campaigned with Christie, he would have lost.

A tree stump campaigning for Christie would have not hurt Christie.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »

Vick,

How's the injury?  Unfortunately, I don't do talking points, so I cannot go along with your talking points.  You might as well write that Lisa Murkowski is very popular in Alaska.

I am having my cake and eating it too.  New Jersy conservatives are more liberal than conservatives in any other state and yet, they almost like Palin just as much as they like Christie.  I am arguing both assertions are true.  rutgers-eagleton found their net favorables to be similar among the very pro-abortion conservative electorate of New Jersey.

Your argument that the New Jersey electorate has a very large conservative contingent may be true....but then again, every Republican electore has a very large conservative contingent.  The point is that New Jersey GOP likely has one of the smallest "very large conservative contingents" in the country.  What that means is that a repeat of the Lonegan-Christie matchup in 35 of the 50 states would have been a victory for Lonegan.  Look at how badly Rossi, hack Kirk, and Ehrlich won their matchups and compare it to Christie.  None of those electorates are as liberal as New Jersey's GOP electorate with the exception of possibly Maryland.

Hahaha ok, all you do is talking points, just like your candidate.  They're almost as weak and delusional as hers also, so congrats on emulating your putrid hero.  There is still no point to your ramblings.  Anyone with a general clue about New Jersey politics knows that it has a very conservative Republican Party, so go ahead convincing yourself it's not true.  And they still don't like Palin, so double-sucks for you.  Good luck in 2012, we'll all be laughing.

Claiming Corzine would have lost to anyone is comical considering the almost universally known power of the Democratic machine in New Jersey.  Republicans DON'T win in Jersey, especially not when they have anything to do with or in common with someone like Palin.  If she were somehow the candidate against Corzine, he would have smashed her.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 04:32:07 PM »

53% of New Jersey's Republican electorate is pro-abortion:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/index.html#NJREP

As for being a hack, whoever this Hamilton guy is is the same hack who claimed PPP was right about Alaska even though they showed Murkowski at 77% favorables in a poll.

Multiple polls showed Murkowski winning by 30.  Only one poll showed otherwise and guess what, that one poll turned out to be right.  The "outlier" was correct while everyone else was wrong.

Republicans accept SurveyUSA as gospel except for its polling on Christie.

Interesting results from the exit poll, I'll admit but I don't know of any other polling that shows the state's Republicans consistently stating that they are Pro Choice.

I'll echo the comments of others in the thread: I don't even understand your point here.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »

I'm trying to figure out who is worse, him or Pbrower?
Poundingtherock
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »

Well Hamilton, I'm trying to figure out which is dumber:

1) The idea that an exit poll is equivalent to a pre-election poll.

2) The idea that the New Jersey Republican electorate is very conservative despite all the polling cited in this thread, including the FDU poll cited by "True Republican" that he hilariously thought would prove his point about the NJ electorate being very conservative.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »

I'm trying to figure out who is worse, him or Pbrower?
Partisan is as Partisan does.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »

Well Hamilton, I'm trying to figure out which is dumber:

1) The idea that an exit poll is equivalent to a pre-election poll.

2) The idea that the New Jersey Republican electorate is very conservative despite all the polling cited in this thread, including the FDU poll cited by "True Republican" that he hilariously thought would prove his point about the NJ electorate being very conservative.

You are now mixing up people's responses and refusing to take in what people are actually trying to tell you.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 02:48:31 PM »

Interestingly, Ann Coulter was on Huckabee's show over the weekend, and she said that Christie is "[her] candidate in 2012".  Of course she also said that he's pro-life, which I don't believe is quite correct.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »

Interestingly, Ann Coulter was on Huckabee's show over the weekend, and she said that Christie is "[her] candidate in 2012".  Of course she also said that he's pro-life, which I don't believe is quite correct.

He is Pro Life.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 03:02:31 PM »

I thought he was in the Tim Kaine camp of "I think abortion is wrong, but the government shouldn't make it illegal"?  I may be misremembering though, as I didn't follow the 2009 NJ gov. race closely.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »

I thought he was in the Tim Kaine camp of "I think abortion is wrong, but the government shouldn't make it illegal"?  I may be misremembering though, as I didn't follow the 2009 NJ gov. race closely.

He has said that he wouldn't press the issue but would support restrictions.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »

He has said that he wouldn't press the issue but would support restrictions.

...that will probably never come up.

This thread really is entertaining, and poundingtherock... (or floggingthedeadhorse) really has been become a new highlight.

So to paraphrase the way I read PTR's general posts... "the only true Republicans are those who hold the same views as me - therefore moderates are not Republicans... only psychotic, anarcho-libertarian, social fascists may apply" "Sarah Palin will win!"... oh course forgetting the fact that she'll be chewed up and spat out electorally...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2010, 09:14:51 AM »

Guys, at this point who is leading and who not in a very early polls: it's doesn't matter. Just ask John Kerry, Howard Dean, Joe Lieberman, Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain etc. etc.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »

Guys, at this point who is leading and who not in a very early polls: it's doesn't matter. Just ask John Kerry, Howard Dean, Joe Lieberman, Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain etc. etc.

Of course they don't matter but it's a good sign that could push Christie towards a run.  Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 09:58:05 AM »

Of course they don't matter but it's a good sign that could push Christie towards a run.  Smiley

Well, it's quite rare to see a first-term Governor to run for President.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »

And probably just as rare (if not even more rare) that a first term U.S. Senator runs for President but...  Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 10:05:18 AM »

And probably just as rare (if not even more rare) that a first term U.S. Senator runs for President but...  Wink

From recent Governors or former Governors who run, Bush was in a middle of his second term, Clinton has been a governor for 12 years (10 continiously). Romney was one term, but he completed it. Huckabee was a former two plus something termer. Carter, like Romney (lol) was one termer and out of office. Reagan, two termer and out of office for 6 years. Richardson, in a middle of the second term... etc. etc.

Well, not saying that Christie have no chances due to being recently elected, just saying that's rare, if he runs.

As of Senators, Kerrey in 1992 had exactly the same number of years served as Obama had in 2008. Edwards had one term almost completed and did not run for reelection (he'd lose anyway, just like Romney would lose reelection in MA). Biden, Kerry, Dodd... multiple termers.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »

If Christie only beats Sweet Sarah by a half-point, that ain't nuthin' to brag about.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »

If Christie only beats Sweet Sarah by a half-point, that ain't nuthin' to brag about.

For him to beat the supposed biggest star of the party, I think it's notable.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 11:33:48 AM »

Perhaps.  I'm not sure Sweet Tea Sarah is that well-loved in VA......but I might be wrong.  Just thinking out loud.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »

Perhaps.  I'm not sure Sweet Tea Sarah is that well-loved in VA......but I might be wrong.  Just thinking out loud.

She's the reason why Christine O'Donnell is the nominee in Delaware so I'm thinking she has a following in Virginia.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies