Republicans are now planning to kill the endangered species act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:11:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans are now planning to kill the endangered species act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans are now planning to kill the endangered species act  (Read 1584 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: January 25, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »

Nixon founded the EPA but the Democrats in Congress are the people who actually originated the EPA. Not that I like it; I'd like to return to Teddy Roosevelt's pro-environmentalist leanings and Gov. Reagan's environmental record in CA.

My point is that they weren't always this extreme.  What happened all of a sudden?  We're probably the only country in the world where one of the two major parties is so anti-environment and anti-science.

It may have been a puzzle before, but by now it is all very obvious. The Grand New Trumpist Republican Party is just the US analog of the French National Front or another similar European ultra-right organisation, just a tad more radical. That is it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »

1) This would be a terrible move, and I would love to see CONSERVatives adopt CONSERVation as won of their principles.  Protecting the environment should never, ever have been adopted as a strictly "liberal" position.

2) The GOP has historically pretty much done what business wanted it to do, so long as it didn't directly conflict with its moralist base, LOL.  Its environmental policy has not exactly followed a principled pattern.

3) Every five years, the threshold for when Republicans were "sane" gets bumped up five more years into the future, LOL.  In 80 years, Democrats will be talking about how Reagan was a liberal for his time because the Democratic Party of his day had two Senators from Alabama or some bullshlt like that, and they'll say Reagan would be a Democrat today.  You can make your case about the current GOP - an institution that I have as much issue with as most any Republican - without feeling the need to praise Republicans from history that still represented the basic conservative principles that you would take huge issue with.

Listen, I am a conservative: a conservative liberal, of course, but no damn Commie for sure. You do not have to keep loyalty to the party that has left you: there is no place for a conservative in the GNP.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 04:49:30 PM »

Uh, I don't like this. Leave animals alone!

DavidB: "Save the wolves, kill the Muslims"

There was another guy with similar tastes. I do not remember his name, though. May be, somebody here will help?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies