Should Jon Hunstman Jr. run in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:54:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Should Jon Hunstman Jr. run in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should he?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Should Jon Hunstman Jr. run in 2016?  (Read 1112 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:00:04 AM »
« edited: October 21, 2015, 04:07:15 AM by RR1997 »

As you guys know, Jeb Bush and John Kaisch (two establishment candidates) have basically imploded already, and they have no chance of victory. The other establishment candidate, Marco Rubio, hasn't imploded yet, but he has a history of gaffes/embarrassing moments, and I feel like he's going to implode in the very near future. If Marco Rubio's campaign does implode, then all the establishment candidates are gone.

Should Jon Huntsman Jr. run in 2016? He's currently 55 years of age. IIRC, he's a very good debater and public speaker. He's very smooth, humanly, and natural.

His dad's a billionaire, so he could help finance a primary campaign.

He's very good-looking and charismatic. He's politically moderate, but not too moderate to the point where he's alienate the base.

He's pro-SSM, pro-immigration reform, pro-enviroment (believes that climate change is real and that we should do something about it), pro-science (believes that evolution is real), and IIRC pro-minimum wage increase.
These are really the only issues that he agrees with Democrats on.
He's Republican on nearly every other issue. I believe he's moderate, but not too moderate. The base will turn out for him and he could win over many swing voters.

I think that he should run in 2016. What do you guys think?
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:11:56 AM »

I wish he would. He was my #2 in 2012 and he would be either my #2 or #1 now.
But the primary electorate is bonkers, this year more than most and he would probably fail in the same way Bush and Kasich are.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 05:30:42 AM »

He could take Trump out...Huntsman is technically an outsider, doesn't hold political office. But he has experience governing, what does Trump have?....nada!  Huntsman knows foreign policy, so could go toe to toe with Hillary Clinton. He's right on the issues!...yep he'd be my guy...if Jeb doesn't or can't do it!😢😩😨😭
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 06:35:43 AM »

Jon Huntsman is one of the dumbest politicians currently around. What kind of idiot accepts a nomination from Obama before running in the Republican primaries? No.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:07:24 AM »

Yes he definitely should
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 07:23:16 AM »

Is this thread for real? Saying that he's "moderate, but not too moderate to the point where he alienates the base" only to then go on to mention that he's pro-gay marriage pro-immigration just makes me wonder about the intentions of the original poster. Huntsman was too liberal 4 years ago. What makes anyone think the guy could be in a better position today?
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 07:29:53 AM »

And Trump is a true blue conservative? ....New York? Hello! ....This guy has no credentials...why should we believe him or trust him....it's all about Trump....anyone believes otherwise is so seriously deluded. ....Trump only believes in the bottom line....there's no evidence of any core values. He just got this idea in his head, that he wanted to be President, does anyone believe the crap that pours out of his mouth....he's a showman....no substance whatsoever😮
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »

He'd probably be stuck at Graham-level polling.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 10:01:29 AM »

Huntsman/Webb as an independent ticket?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »

Classic Atlas.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »

The problem is that primaries aren't won by candidates simply listing their achievements, and their views. They need to have a story, a purpose and the ability to actually inspire people. As cliche as those three are Huntsman always seemed like a paper tiger
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 10:36:46 AM »

I'd love to see him run eventually, but it's too late for 2016, and he can only really damage himself at this point.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 10:58:57 AM »

Why would he run?

I like him in 2012, not because he was a moderate, but because he was actually an incredibly successful conservative governor who had widespread approval from members of both parties in his home state.  He had something like the highest approval % in the nation and his state had the #1 economy or something like that.

The guy was the real deal for conservative governance, not some hack like Jindal.  He should have played that to the heavens.  Instead he went out and became a moderate and flopped.

Also I have heard from several sources that in person he is kind of whiny and immature.

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »

It's still too crowded now, but maybe in 2020 (if we lose 2016) or 2024 (if we win 2016).
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2015, 12:41:17 PM by Simfan34 »

I'm his most ardent supporter, but I don't think it would be a good idea, no. He should run to succeed Hatch in the Senate and look ahead to 2024.

Also I have heard from several sources that in person he is kind of whiny and immature.

What sources are these?
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »

And Trump is a true blue conservative? ....New York? Hello! ....This guy has no credentials...why should we believe him or trust him....it's all about Trump....anyone believes otherwise is so seriously deluded. ....Trump only believes in the bottom line....there's no evidence of any core values. He just got this idea in his head, that he wanted to be President, does anyone believe the crap that pours out of his mouth....he's a showman....no substance whatsoever😮

Trump is a hardcore nativist. That's good enough to sweep all his other shortcomings under the rug. What sort of issue can Huntsman use to get anyone in the GOP excited?
defe07

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »

Huntsman would be either a good compromise GOP candidate or could run for President as an independent with Jim Webb! Cheesy
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 02:34:50 PM »

As you guys know, Jeb Bush and John Kaisch (two establishment candidates) have basically imploded already, and they have no chance of victory.

In October 2007, McCain was polling around 10 percent, and I would argue McCain had a harder path to the nomination since the people polling ahead of him were actually somewhat qualified to be president. It's fair to say that Bush is underperforming, but he certainly still has a chance at victory.

Also, I don't think Kasich has imploded at all. His strategy has always been to break out in New Hampshire, and he still has a chance to do that. You could say that he's sixth in polls there, but he's really in a four way tie for third behind two candidates who have never won an election in their lives.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies