Do liberals deserve what they get? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:15:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Do liberals deserve what they get? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do liberals deserve what they get?  (Read 8954 times)
Shira

« on: November 08, 2004, 10:05:43 PM »
« edited: November 08, 2004, 10:25:26 PM by Shira »

Dionne didn't break down in tears or anything. But he was whining that the president had cynically exploited moral and cultural issues like abortion and gay marriage to win the votes of millions of nutballs on the Christian and NASCAR right.

Unfortunately that's exactly what happened.
Shira

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 10:24:40 PM »

Now, Dionne worried, with the help of an even more dangerously Republican Congress, we're all going to get things like Social Security privatization shoved down our throats!

The Conservatives hated Social Security and Medicare since they were founded by FDR and LBJ. They know very well that they can not kill these programs. What they can do, is to gradually starve them.
That’s exactly what Margaret Tacher tried to do in GB with the national health care system that she hated so much.
Shira

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 10:57:46 PM »

We will kill Social Security this administration though, and privitize it into accounts like it or not. 

Why is the president afraid to explicitly say it?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

According to your assertion, most of European countries are Communist dictatorships.
Shira

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 11:03:51 PM »

Now, Dionne worried, with the help of an even more dangerously Republican Congress, we're all going to get things like Social Security privatization shoved down our throats!

The Conservatives hated Social Security and Medicare since they were founded by FDR and LBJ. They know very well that they can not kill these programs. What they can do, is to gradually starve them.
That’s exactly what Margaret Tacher tried to do in GB with the national health care system that she hated so much.

One of the people in favor of this served in LBJ's administration, former New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, a Democrat. 

Shira, this is typical of the outright lies that the loony left puts up.

Listen carefully to Conservative commentators, talk show hosts and some house representatives and senators who are not careful enough in shutting their mouth.
Shira

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 11:29:00 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Cons like the example of someone who was born poor and became rich. (And there are some examples)
In reality the vast majority of rich people are rich (guess why)…… because they were born rich.
The poor are poor because they were born poor. The Cons, however, are trying to indoctrinate the theory that the poor are poor because they are lazy or because they are “failing to initiate”.
Shira

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 11:49:37 PM »

Shira, it is an absolute fact that 90% of rich people earned it themselves. You can spin it all you want, but that's the statistic.

By the way, some of the exceptions would be the entire Kennedy family.

One who was born with $100,000 and died with $10,000,000 is not exactly “poor who became rich”. One who was born with $0 in a poor neighborhood and became a millionaire does meet the definition of “poor who became rich”. These are rare creatures but in many cases they are famous.
Shira

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 12:03:32 AM »

Shira, it is an absolute fact that 90% of rich people earned it themselves. You can spin it all you want, but that's the statistic.

By the way, some of the exceptions would be the entire Kennedy family.

You are correct  about Kennedy ( you can add Bush and Kerry to this list as well) but these are not exceptions, they are like the vast majority of rich people.  A better example could have been J.Edwards, but he also did not exactly start from a deep poverty.
Shira

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 12:33:22 AM »

I am sure that every one of us knows personally at least 20 individuals who are worth 1 M or more. Try to go into the economical history of this person and find out why this person is wealthy. In the last year (since I became interested in this issue) I had the opportunity to observe 17 people like this (two of them are good friends of mine). Out of these 17 in my non-scientific sample, only one really deserves the title “A self made person”.
Remember that a usual problem with these kind of observations is, that people tend to better remember the exception than the common.
Shira

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 12:54:08 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2004, 01:28:09 AM by Shira »

Disproving your theory that all Republicans are rich.

Most of them are not. Many are low middle class, close to the poverty line and some are even below.
The problem is that ignorance and religion are playing major roles in the behavior of low income people.

Shira

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 01:27:04 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2004, 01:29:52 AM by Shira »

I don't even I can come up with a list of 20 millionaires I know personally. 

If you don't personally know, try to look into public figures ( Bush, Kerry, Kennedy, Rockefeller, Cheney etc.)

BTW: Bill Clinton does belong to the very small but famous group of "self made people". The people are famous because they are the rare exception but the group is tiny.
Shira

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 01:35:53 AM »

I don't know a single person who inherited big wealth. I do know a lot of people who earned it, however.

I don't know how Bush won...I don't know anyone who voted for him!

I would recommend to you to  read the messages in this thread. The mindsets of these people are very interesting.
Shira

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 01:44:08 AM »

Life wasn't completely handed to them on silver platters.

Wrong.

Life was completely handed to them on silver platters.
Shira

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 01:54:53 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2004, 02:03:20 AM by Shira »

Life wasn't completely handed to them on silver platters.

Wrong.

Life was completely handed to them on silver platters.

Not really.  Very few people have life handed to them on silver platters.  Sure, they may have been some extraordinary circumstances.  Being the son of a president.  Being married to the ketchup lady.  But they could have given up.  They could have not tried.  They could have failed miserably on the campaign trail.  Explain your reasoning.  Or at least your definition of life handed to someone on a silver platter. 

The Bush family was very rich long long before H.W Bush became president. Barbara's family also was very rich for generations.
Shira

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 06:06:50 PM »

America loves the Henri Ford story of a poor who became rich.
The matter of the fact is that millions of people did exactly what H.Ford  had done, but they never became H.Ford  and no one know their names. These people are the vast majority, while the Fords are the tiny-but-famous minority.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies