CA: 2010 Initiative General Election Result (Prop 19) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 09:48:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA: 2010 Initiative General Election Result (Prop 19) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA: 2010 Initiative General Election Result (Prop 19)  (Read 2289 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« on: November 05, 2010, 03:19:42 AM »
« edited: November 05, 2010, 03:27:40 AM by phknrocket1k »

Strange map. San Luis Obispo is not the sort of county that would be expected to vote for this when Santa Clara and Los Angeles didn't. Interesting that Yolo (UC Davis) voted against. Mono is also strange, although it's more Democratic than many of the surrounding counties. IIRC, Mono is very male (although that might have been Inyo).

Mono voted for it, as well as Alpine. Nothing weird there. I was surprised by Yolo as well, but don't forget it's got some Sacramento suburbia in addition to Davis. And although West Sacramento votes reliably Democrat, it wouldn't surprise me if they handily voted against Prop 19.

The proposition seemed to do bad in places with lots of moderates, as far as I could tell. That to me would explain Santa Clara and Contra Costa. Maybe more Asians voting in Santa Clara could be another reason. Los Angeles was liberal West LA versus the rest of the county, which is basically moderate. San Diego was a bit of a surprise to me, though I should have expected it.

San Luis Obispo makes sense to me. It has those sorts of areas which are both favorable to Republicans and Marijuana legalization. Not too many places like that in California, but most of them are by the coast in Southern California. Helps explain SD as well, and I can't wait to see how it did in Rohrbacher's district.

Edit: I don't know how much of an effect it really had on the final numbers, but it seems like anywhere where Marijuana is almost de facto legal/ medical Marijuana is not under attack, Prop 19 seemed to do bad. It did horribly bad as compared to prop 215 in the bay area, northern coast, Sacramento. On the other in places where there have been crackdowns on dispensaries, such as San Diego......

According to exit polling males aged 18-29 were the strongest supporters.

In terms of race, Asians were the most against, Whites in the middle and Blacks/Hispanics the least against.

In terms of the university factor. Cal Poly SLO is a mostly an engineering and business school, which means its more male oriented than what universities in general are (UC Davis especially). Also its less Asian than UC Davis. So that explains why it would be favorable to the GOP and marijuana legalization.

For San Diego. In terms of individual neighborhoods I could see it passing where the age-sex cohort of males 18-29 are 15%+ and Asians are minimal. Maybe Pacific Beach or Hillcrest. Likely flop in La Jolla or Kearney Mesa. All these areas are Democratic anyway. In terms of other cities in San Diego County that would be friendly to voting Yes would be Oceanside and National City. Likely a flop otherwise (Escondido, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Santee, Vista, Poway). Chula Vista could be a draw.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies