Do you mostly hold the same religious beliefs as your parents? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:36:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you mostly hold the same religious beliefs as your parents? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Don't know/sort of/maybe one parent

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Do you mostly hold the same religious beliefs as your parents?  (Read 10649 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« on: April 17, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »

This could be interesting.

If you have no religious beliefs, then you can vote yes if your parents are also atheist. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:26:31 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2014, 08:48:01 PM by TDAS04 »

No for me.

My background is extremely mixed.  My dad is a life-long Hindu (originally from India), while my mom was raised Lutheran here in the Upper Midwest.  She is now very flexible religiously, and her beliefs combine aspects from many traditions.  She likes Unitarianism, and holds some beliefs from the eastern religions.

I was never really raised to belong to a certain tradition, but my personal beliefs fit in most with liberal Protestantism.  The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America seems to be a good fit for me, and I plan to join after getting certain church positions clarified to me by a pastor.

My mom would be fine with that.  While she no longer holds the traditional beliefs, she doesn't have a problem with liberal Christianity, and certainly not with the Lutheran denomination she was raised in.  My maternal grandmother did want me to get baptized, so I was baptized at the Episcopal church in my neighborhood during my young childhood.  I was never confirmed though, and I've hardly ever been to church.  Being Episcopalian would certainly be a possibility if it turns out that the Lutherans are just too conservative to me, but at least some ELCA congregations seem to be what I'm looking for.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »

On some of the more traditional beliefs, such as the Trinity, the divinity of Christ, and the Resurrection, I don't have a problem with.  Two major issues that I would like my church to be fairly liberal on are the acceptance of gays (obviously) and at least openness to the possibility of universal salvation.  The latter issue could be a reason for caution regarding traditional Lutheran doctrine, since Martin Luther probably had views on hell and predestination almost as harsh as those of Calvin.  However, while the ELCA doesn't take a firm position, there does not seem to be any discouragement against its members from at least hoping that God's grace is for everyone.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies