2014: The Rise of Liberty Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 09:18:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2014: The Rise of Liberty Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2014: The Rise of Liberty Republicans  (Read 5729 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »

Great!
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »

What does the Gubernatorial scene look like?
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 11:13:06 PM »

The Push for Electoral Reform

(Senator Mark Warner, advocating electoral reform on the Senate floor.)
We need serious electoral reforms, in the past 20 years, twice a man has become president without full support of the American Electorate. I cry no more to this broken system! We need to have standards in national elections, so that everyone is on the same playing field. No more plurality rules, a true majority should be required to win a national election. That is why I am bringing to the floor, The Majority Rules Act, requiring all candidates for national office to receive 50%+1 popular votes to be elected. I am bringing it to the floor in this way, so that we may have open debate, and amendments to this bill. The American people deserve to hear our ideas, and hear what their representatives have to say.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 06:54:09 PM »

I would imagine that Peter Kinder would win in Missouri and that Bill Maloney would win in West Virginia. All in all, there would be a net gain of two Gubernatorial seats for the Republicans in this TL if my assumption is correct.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 11:44:52 PM »

I would imagine that Peter Kinder would win in Missouri and that Bill Maloney would win in West Virginia. All in all, there would be a net gain of two Gubernatorial seats for the Republicans in this TL if my assumption is correct.
Correct, though in 2014, Governor Deal of Georgia lost to Jason Carter, and Governor Corbett lost to Tom Wolf. All the rest were Republican holds.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »

(Vice-President Larry Pressler addressing the Senate on electoral reform)
After many weeks of deliberation, I believe we have finally found ourselves a compromise. Some have suggested eliminating the electoral college, but no, that was not the solution. Others supported a national reform that would have implemented the system both Maine and Nebraska use for deciding their electoral votes, but that would be overstepping the bounds of the Constitution. Instead I believe we have a real solution. For any Presidential election, the system of Instant Runoff Voting will be utilized. I would ask that all states implement similar systems in all elections, allowing for a much more fair and equal system. But I will now bring this bill to a vote here in the Senate.

Senate Results:
Aye: 33 Dem, 40 Rep, 14 Ind.
Nay: 6 Dem, 7 Rep, 0 Ind.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »

IRV House Results:

322-113

President Jeb Bush on IRV bill:

I will not sign this bill into law, as it is a violation of our constitution, and will undermine the American electoral system. I am in favor of state-by-state electoral reform, but this measure goes too far. We need sound policies, and I am vetoing this bill.

President Jeb Bush Approval rating after vetoing bill:
Approve: 34%
Disapprove: 60%
Unsure: 6%

The congress then re-votes (with the same results) on the bill, overriding the president's veto.
Vice-President Larry Pressler has basically been shunned by the White House because of his support of the bill.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies