Breaking News: New forum is up and running - sign up now! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:30:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Breaking News: New forum is up and running - sign up now! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you be interested in joining a new forum that would serve as an "Atlas After Dark"?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 107

Author Topic: Breaking News: New forum is up and running - sign up now!  (Read 17434 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 11, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »

This was my idea, so I would be Supreme Overlord (unless that is a deal-breaker for those interested).  I learned how to decently delegate in the Navy, though, so I have some ideas in mind on how to effectively run things.  Eraserhead and J-Mann would obviously run the Update boards.  Perhaps let Lief do the dirty work in the political forums.  But, really, little moderation will be needed outside of threatening or slanderous text.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »

Oh, and most importantly we would need a tech-saavy current mod to confirm the identities of those trying to register.  This board would be exclusive to people already on Atlas or have been banned from Atlas.  This is key. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »

I don't really care who ends up as Modadmin or as the moderators since they will be Mods In Name Only (MIDS) 99.9% of the time. There will be virtually no moderation outside of stopping people who are making specific personal threats.

As far as moderation goes, my only concern is Update.  I feel like J-Mann should be there for good reason. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2015, 05:53:53 PM by HockeyDude »

Oh, and most importantly we would need a tech-saavy current mod to confirm the identities of those trying to register.  This board would be exclusive to people already on Atlas or have been banned from Atlas.  This is key.  

While the focus of the forum should obviously be to attract Atlas posters and ex-Atlas posters, I'm not sure that I'm 100% against a few newbies joining up (especially if they're people that our posters can vouch for). So that point may be worth opening up for debate.

It's a rolling project.  Not everything has to be decided at the outset.  

(Oh, and it seems we have 7 people interested.  I would do it with 10.  I don't care if we have 1,000,000 noes)
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »

Go for it honey. Just how that will work as far as you managing this all, while being busy starting up your legal career escapes me, but hey, maybe you only need four hours sleep an night or something.

Won't be a lot to manage if I get a little help from our interested members.  I mean, the entire point is to have a site that needs little moderation so we don't annoy people here.  I envision some political discussion there... but for most if not all of it to be left here.  

There's really no reason for anyone to be hostile towards the idea, especially with such potential to repair the correspondence here.  

And I put my legal career on hold, Torie.  I'm not going back to law school until I can pay for it.  I have time.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »

Um, heck yes. I'd love to volunteer as a mod for this.

Congrats.  You are mod-elect of Atlas After Dark Off-Topic. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »

Oh, and most importantly we would need a tech-saavy current mod to confirm the identities of those trying to register.  This board would be exclusive to people already on Atlas or have been banned from Atlas.  This is key. 

I'd be willing to help with this

Thank you, BK.  That would be awesome.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »

10 interesteds in less than an hour.  I'm putting this into motion. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 06:11:23 PM »

I support the return of opebo, jmfcst, etc but part of their value as posters was their interaction within this community. I don't care about profanity (it's hardly enforced here anyway) and I can get explicit sexual content from plenty of other places on the internet. Update would be its main (perhaps only?) appeal. Why not start an Update subreddit? Maybe it'd start trending and you'd have a chance to show it off to the world.

Part of their value, indeed, but I'd like to have the other part back. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »

This sounds like a good idea, but I would be wary about making too many forums. I think, especially if there are only 20-30 of us, then no more than two or three sub-forums are really necessary. Maybe just "Politics" and "Not Politics" forums would be good, to start with.

Also I think Torie is confusing Eraserhead and me. Tongue

Good idea.  This is no attempt to make Atlas Proper useless.  

How does "Politics", "Not Politics", and "Update" sound?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:35:59 PM »

Sounds like the first step towards killing Atlas. I've barely been here 6 months Sad

On the 16th of this month, I'll have been here 9 years. I'm ready for a change.

The intention isn't to kill Atlas though. Just think of it as an extension of Atlas.

That's all it is.  It's just going to be more entertainment-based and a place for Atlas members to post things that might be objectionable on the main site.  Better this than constant infighting. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 07:19:29 PM »

Interested members shoot me a PM
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 07:37:07 PM »

I adjusted the settings to accept/reject new members myself.  If you don't register under your Atlas name I'm not accepting, so just make it easy like Eraserhead said.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 08:16:56 PM »

I've exceeded my limit of 20 PMs for the hour.  Please direct link requests to Eraserhead for the time being.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »

Duke and I have some experience with the trials and tribulations of spinoff forums.

My suggestion is to keep it simple and laissez faire. One board where everything goes and just keep the moderation to anti-spam. Make it a true tax haven state.

Oh and please make sure it isn't ugly.

It's no uglier or prettier than this forum is.

We'll do some cool things with the layout.  In time.  I gotta play around with the options and see what I can do, first.  Tonight is just about getting the ball rolling.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 09:38:43 PM »

30 members and counting.  

Very excited about the interest.  It's best for everyone if we can keep our dumb stuff away from this forum and still get to internet chill with each other and BS around.  Everyone wins.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 03:53:35 PM »

I think it's perfectly fine and preferable for people to stick with Atlas Proper.  Atlas After Dark doesn't appeal to everyone, nor should it.  It has its purpose.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »

Yeah, it's cool, perfect compliment to this place. Basically, it's the lighter side of Atlas.

It's a PERFECT compliment to Atlas Proper.  Who knew snowstalker had such an Aubrey Plaza obsession?  It's all he ever posts in the Hot Girls Thread!  Praise AAD!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies