How do the happiest people vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:14:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do the happiest people vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How do the happiest people vote?
Democratic

Republican

Don't Vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: How do the happiest people vote?  (Read 648 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2024, 09:04:28 PM »

I can see arguments for all 3:

One could argue happy people are more likely to lean Republican because in general, happy people are less likely to be actively facing big hardships in terms of finance, health, or social status, all things which tend to make people more liberal. The lack of these concerns may make them lean more right.

One could argue happy people are more likely to lean Democratic because today a lot of Republican messaging is based on populism that invokes fear and anger which probably be way less effective on a truly happy person. Furthermore, Democrats increasingly do better with college educated voters, and generally more educated people are happier.

One could argue they don't vote because being engaged in politics is a large part of the reason many people are unhappy. Basically "ignorance is bliss".
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 09:05:14 PM »

I think there's research saying that happier people tend to be more politically conservative, no?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 09:07:11 PM »

I think there's research saying that happier people tend to be more politically conservative, no?

I've seen that before, but I think it's self-reported which makes things tricky; Conservatives are significantly less likely to say if they're unhappy, struggling mentally, ect.

Furthermore, that research could be a bit outdated by now as the GOP has leaned into full Trumpism.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 10:50:07 PM »

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S009265660800175X (from 2009)
we predicted that political conservatism and liberalism would relate to less negative and greater positive affect, respectively. As hypothesized, stronger political conservatism and liberalism predicted greater life satisfaction. Whereas stronger liberalism predicted greater positive affect, stronger conservatism predicted less negative affect. Thus, both political conservatism and liberalism are related to components of happiness.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886914004553 (from 2015)

Highlights
• Political conservatism and religiosity positively correlate with happiness.
• Political conservatism and religiosity interact in predicting happiness.
• Religiosity has a greater effect on happiness for political conservatives.
• These results were found in the General Social Survey [2012] and World Values Survey [2005].

Cross-culturally, higher social trust seems more strongly correlated with increased happiness in more individualistic societies, e.g. liberal democracies with a Western cultural legacy. So partisan realignment along social trust may mean that the D coalition is becoming happier relative to the population as a whole, even though ideological conservatives may also continue to have above-average happiness as well.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886921008308 (from 2022)
Highlights
• All types of social trust positively predicted individual level well-being.
• National culture conditions the effects of personal contributors of well-being.
• Social trust more strongly associated with well-being in individualistic cultures.
• The well-being benefits of social trust may be enhanced by individual autonomy.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 10:56:56 PM »

I feel like this is relevant:

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 11:17:55 PM »

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S009265660800175X (from 2009)
we predicted that political conservatism and liberalism would relate to less negative and greater positive affect, respectively. As hypothesized, stronger political conservatism and liberalism predicted greater life satisfaction. Whereas stronger liberalism predicted greater positive affect, stronger conservatism predicted less negative affect. Thus, both political conservatism and liberalism are related to components of happiness.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886914004553 (from 2015)

Highlights
• Political conservatism and religiosity positively correlate with happiness.
• Political conservatism and religiosity interact in predicting happiness.
• Religiosity has a greater effect on happiness for political conservatives.
• These results were found in the General Social Survey [2012] and World Values Survey [2005].

Cross-culturally, higher social trust seems more strongly correlated with increased happiness in more individualistic societies, e.g. liberal democracies with a Western cultural legacy. So partisan realignment along social trust may mean that the D coalition is becoming happier relative to the population as a whole, even though ideological conservatives may also continue to have above-average happiness as well.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886921008308 (from 2022)
Highlights
• All types of social trust positively predicted individual level well-being.
• National culture conditions the effects of personal contributors of well-being.
• Social trust more strongly associated with well-being in individualistic cultures.
• The well-being benefits of social trust may be enhanced by individual autonomy.

This sort of aligns with what I'd imagine. My stereotype of the happiest people in the US would be high social trust moderate/conservatives who are religious, financially well-off, have children and generally good family bond, ect. Probably a lot of Romney-->Biden voters in this group.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 11:39:17 PM »

Ignorance is bliss
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 11:56:49 AM »

I've seen that before, but I think it's self-reported which makes things tricky; Conservatives are significantly less likely to say if they're unhappy, struggling mentally, ect.

This is literally what it means to be happy.  To be resilient to negative feelings and external stressors.  A conservative worldview is correlated with all sorts of cognitive behaviors (i.e., increased religiosity, more moral clarity, better sense of self-empowerment, etc.) that are demonstrated to improve mental well-being.

The idea that Republican messaging is so overwhelmingly negative that conservatives must be angry, scared, depressed is a Democrat fantasy. And even if it was true, are liberal messages about climate change or the future health of U.S. democracy very positive?
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 12:53:59 PM »

One could argue they don't vote because being engaged in politics is a large part of the reason many people are unhappy. Basically "ignorance is bliss".

There’s also the factor of them not really feeling the need to make their voices heard in the democratic process because they’re fine with things just the way they are.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 04:08:44 PM »

It's worth saying that there's a certain type of neuroticism or constant worrying present in a lot of far-left thought.  Like that's the only way to describe a lot of #ZeroCovid people.  My guess would be the happiest people tend to be conservative-leaning, but also not hyper political.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 04:44:14 PM »

Whatever the status quo is.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 09:50:22 PM »

This is literally what it means to be happy.  To be resilient to negative feelings and external stressors.  A conservative worldview is correlated with all sorts of cognitive behaviors (i.e., increased religiosity, more moral clarity, better sense of self-empowerment, etc.) that are demonstrated to improve mental well-being.

The idea that Republican messaging is so overwhelmingly negative that conservatives must be angry, scared, depressed is a Democrat fantasy. And even if it was true, are liberal messages about climate change or the future health of U.S. democracy very positive?

There may be some truth to this, but happiness isn't always the type of thing where you can fake it till you make it - I think liberals are just way more likely to be blunt about if they're actually happy or not. I also think in modern day politics, those who actually are religious, have high moral clarity, and a good sense of self-empowerment may not be as Republican friendly these days as we might expect - for instance religious Trump voters tend to not have good church attendence.

I generally tend to believe people on either extreme of the political spectrum tend to be less happy - the far-right types of who believe in the great replacement theory type stuff and those on the left who doom over capitalism and social justice sorts of things.

wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 11:13:52 PM »

It depends, but I feel like it has been trending democrat since 2012.
kwabbit

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 10:04:38 AM »

Probably conservative but definitely trending Dem as said above. I don't think the religiosity itself is that big of a factor, it's just being part of a religious community is the most common way to be apart of one's local community which brings happiness.

Other factors, such as having children and being wealthy, are associated with being conservative as well.

So a wealthy, religious person with children is the model. This person is likely to vote GOP, but definitely feels more at home in the pre-Trump GOP.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2024, 11:52:05 AM »

From my experience, if you are talking overall happiness with life, definitely leans right ... most of the left-leaning political types I know (including many VERY good friends) are just more angsty people in general with fewer non-ideological staples in their lives to fall back on.  Even their social activities and friendships have political undertones.  However, I find that - strictly in our current climate - the conservatives I know are more bitter about politics, culture and the news in general.

Final answer?  Your average Republican is happier than your average Democrat, but your average Democrat is infinitely happier and less angry as he enters the voting booth!
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2024, 06:54:55 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies