I hate kids....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:51:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  I hate kids....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I hate kids....  (Read 7236 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
« edited: June 22, 2012, 01:04:40 PM by His Great Device Makes Him Famous »

I saw the video. Some observations. We need to bring back the cane, and fast. These kids think they're funny? They're not. Permissiveness is bad. Tolerance is good, but different.

Moral relativists, or anyone here, please justify this behavior. I know at least one person has to be the contrarian? opebo? Tweed? Lief? Al? Xahar? 20RP12? Foucaulf?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »

Yes, let's punish verbal torture with physical torture. Wonderful.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »

A mild belt lash or hit is hardly torture. Strawmen are bad.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 04:05:59 PM »

Many would argue that name calling is "hardly torture" either.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 11:23:38 PM »

While it may be the job of a bus monitor to discipline misbehaviour, I don't think any sort of training can prepare you for that sort of mob mentality. Had it just been one kid, it might be easier to deal with. But when every child around you in participating in this, what can you do? Especially when you've got kids talking about the knives they've got. I doubt there's much she could have done to stop it without escalating the situation even more.

Perhaps it happened like this because whenever it was just one kid, she ignored it and didn't take action (which she as much as admits in the interview). Notice what she does when the taunting begins: Nothing. She sits in her seat and stares forward.

Kids notice these things. And in response, they'll do whatever they think they can get away with.

But don't you think it's obvious that those kids were actively trying to get a reaction out of her? Had she snapped back at them or called them out, I get the feeling they wouldn't stop. Hell, it might get worse. They were trying to rile her, and I almost think her non-action was admirable.

The problem is, she has no official authority. Teachers can send a kid to the office where phone calls home can be made or a kid can be suspended. I doubt the same chain of communication exists for a lowly bus monitor. Sure, she could have called someone... but would anyone really take it seriously?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 11:40:57 PM »

Then what's the point of the position if there is nothing they can do?  Are schools so flush with money that they can throw it away on totally pointless things?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:29 AM »

Then what's the point of the position if there is nothing they can do?  Are schools so flush with money that they can throw it away on totally pointless things?

School administrators have terrible GRE scores. Not surprisingly, some of them are bad at running schools.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »

I saw the video. Some observations. We need to bring back the cane, and fast. These kids think they're funny? They're not. Permissiveness is bad. Tolerance is good, but different.

Moral relativists, or anyone here, please justify this behavior. I know at least one person has to be the contrarian? opebo? Tweed? Lief? Al? Xahar? 20RP12? Foucaulf?

I'm accustomed to corporal punishment from firsthand experience, so I don't think I'm really a good person to speak on this matter.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »

Yeah Tumblr was blowing up over this. This is absolutely disgusting.

F**k off.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2012, 01:43:29 PM by His Great Device Makes Him Famous »

I'm accustomed to corporal punishment from firsthand experience, so I don't think I'm really a good person to speak on this matter.

And your thoughts on it?

I know you often are contrarian. Sorry.

Many would argue that name calling is "hardly torture" either.

Well what should be done?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 04:32:24 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/karen-klein-students-bullied-bus-monitor-suspended
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »

Why would I ever justify being a bad human being? I can say that corporal punishment is disgusting and foreign to me though.
Foucaulf
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »

Personally, I think a thousand death threats are more debilitating than corporal punishment anyways. The self-loathing of the millenials could power the nation; using the rod is a waste of energy.

I also agree with dead0man: why was she put in that position? The more I think about it, the more tragic it is that her retirement has to be funded by a Kickstarter.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »

I love how this turns into a discussion on the devolution of 'manners' 'decency'  etc etc... fact is, the kid was a little douchebag... there have always been douchebags.

And you know what? generally little douchebags don't get anywhere in life worth being.

Also, she seemed really ill-equipped for the job...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies