Day 39: Democratic Republic of the Congo (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:06:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 39: Democratic Republic of the Congo (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 39: Democratic Republic of the Congo  (Read 2197 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« on: March 03, 2006, 01:38:48 PM »

So, do you insist on calling Germany - Deutschland, Russia - Rossiya, Finland - Suomi, Albania - Shquiperia, Egypt - Mysr, India - Bharat, etc.?

Touché. Of course not; it was merely to illustrate that it's not entirely ridiculous to decry the use of "Cambodia", although it is inaccurate. I freely admit my error, in any case.

My point on Myanmar stands, though. Smiley

Not really, I don't think the US recognizes the government that made the name change as legitimate. Nor would I, frankly. The "Myanmar" government is pretty darn despicable, and the name is about as arbitrary as Zaire was. The people are 'Burmese' or alternatively whatever the local ethnic group is.

I prefer to call the state 'Burma' (although what I'd call it irrelevant; I would prefer to call Iran 'Parthia', Syria 'Assyria',  Iraq 'Mesopotamia', and Pakistan 'The Islamic Republic of West India' but no one would follow my lead. One day, I'll rename half the world the way it SHOULD be....  maybe redraw a few national boundaries too Cheesy).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies