Why does Bernie Sanders do horribly with African American voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:52:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why does Bernie Sanders do horribly with African American voters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why does Bernie Sanders do horribly with African American voters?  (Read 6884 times)
hopper
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »

I don't think it's so much disdain for Bernie (let alone anti-semitism) as it is love for Hillary, at least for 2016.

The Clintons are held in high repute amongst the black community (AFAIK); black incomes and household wealth soared as poverty plunged during the late-1990s, so why go against someone who you know and trust to do what's right for you?

True, Bernie also has been an advocate for the black community in terms of civil rights and economics for decades, but he's never built up the reputation and recognition that Hillary has. They don't know him and they don't trust him. Most black voters probably made up their mind about who to support years ago, and don't really care for any new challengers. She just towers over him in this regard.

EDIT - Mister Mets beat me to it while I left in the middle of typing
That too.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 05:13:51 AM »

Because they always support the establishment candidate, with 2008 being the only exception for obvious reasons.

Ahem

Jessie was never the Dem Nominee for the President. He did finish 2nd to Dukakis in 1988 in the Dem Presidential Primary though.

That's not the point. He was a non-establishment candidate supported by the African American voters, so 2008 was not the "only time".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 05:22:34 AM »

Because they always support the establishment candidate, with 2008 being the only exception for obvious reasons.

Ahem

Jessie was never the Dem Nominee for the President. He did finish 2nd to Dukakis in 1988 in the Dem Presidential Primary though.

That's not the point. He was a non-establishment candidate supported by the African American voters, so 2008 was not the "only time".

There might be something he has in common with Obama, but I can't quite place it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 05:51:01 AM »

1. Much higher name rec.
2. They don't care about his pet issues.
3. He's Jewish.

If I were black -- the non-black people that I would most easily trust, except for those who have made a marital commitment to a black person, would be Jews. Jews were disproportionately represented among whites in the Civil Rights struggle and were disproportionately rare among segregationist pols even if participating in segregationist politics would have been economically advantageous.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 07:57:58 AM »

Because Hillary's husband was the first black US President.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 09:28:03 AM »

Perhaps because they're pragmatic and know Hillary has a better chance in the general. As someone else pointed out, they only switched to Obama when he proved white people would vote for him (Iowa). I don't know if I really buy the theory that it's because Sanders has never had to pander to blacks before. He's never had to pander to most of the people supporting him either.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies