Michigan gay marriage ban struck down (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:37:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Michigan gay marriage ban struck down (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Michigan gay marriage ban struck down  (Read 3423 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 21, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »

Tsk. Tsk. Another liberal, activist Reagan appointee. Smiley

It's weird how all the Bush and Reagan appointees are proving to be the biggest obstacles for socons.  Do they only put consideration into their judges if it's for the Supreme Court? Tongue

Actually, it's because give the ruling in Windsor, any judge who has any respect for the pronouncements of the Supreme Court is going to have to rule to strike under the standard Windsor established for how to consider whether a government can treat same-sex marriage differently from opposite-sex marriage.  While they are ruling faster than I thought they would, the rulings themselves are utterly unsurprising.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »

The will of the people activists in black robes prevails again. The people via their reps banned it.

And the people, via their courts, repealed it.

The will of the people in 2014 matters more than the will of the people in 2004. And upholding the U.S. constitution trumps both.

Not quite.  Judges are not there to express the will of the people, legislatures are.  Some of our worst decisions have come about because of judges trying to impose their view of the current will of the people as inviolable precedent.  It's all good and well to apply Kennedy's reasoning in Windsor to these bans.  But they should be doing it regardless of the will of the people being in favor of or in opposition to that being done.  So while your latter two sentences are spot on, I find fault with your first.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »

the end result of this is that gays are joining the post-WW2 Jews as the most privileged group in world history: not disadvantaged at all by any demonstrable economic statistic, yet enjoying multiple "extra" protections under the law.

Congrats on vomiting out one of the dumbest sentences I've ever seen on the Forum. I give you my accolades.

To the extent that gays are a financially privileged group, I suspect it is largely due to those who are financially privileged being more able to endure coming out and thus skewing the statistics.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 07:10:34 AM »

the end result of this is that gays are joining the post-WW2 Jews as the most privileged group in world history: not disadvantaged at all by any demonstrable economic statistic, yet enjoying multiple "extra" protections under the law.

Congrats on vomiting out one of the dumbest sentences I've ever seen on the Forum. I give you my accolades.

Gay post-WW2 Jew here.  I personally love all my extra protections.  I got bumped up to first class on my last flight and I've almost saved enough gay post-WW2 Jew platinum reward points to pay for a trip to Barcelona!

Flight eighteen?

If so, you'd be in good company.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 04:59:45 AM »

No, gay people weren't hanged from trees. No, being gay isn't some sort of arbitrary social construct on which for decades determined what you could and could not do, where you could not go, and so forth.

What the hell are you talking about?
Being gay is a fundamental biological trait.

Race is a meaningless social construct.

Do not add extra sentences that I did not type to my posts again. (I took it as an inadvertent mistake, which I've used my mod powers to fix. - TF)

And my question was directed more to your absurd statement that gay people have never been lynched or segregated.

What did I add?

You had placed your first sentence, "Being gay is a fundamental biological trait." where it appeared to be something Joe had written instead of you.  I fixed your error.  It's not the first time I've seen something like that happen with various posts from various users, but please do be careful.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies