Trump immigration megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 01:40:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump immigration megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump immigration megathread  (Read 4222 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: February 28, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »

I would support this, as it's the best we're likely to get out of Trump. An underclass already exists, and this would, despite not providing full citizenship, give them some more security vis-a-vis their employers than they currently have. Perhaps more importantly, if he actually signed this, it would prove that he's not a total monster, and that would be by far the biggest relief I've had since election day.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »

Good. It's crazy and harsh to round up 11 million people, many of whom have been here for years, have citizen family, friends, coworkers. If he actually pushed this through it'll be harder to see him as a racist, it shows he has some compassion. But I'm still highly skeptical he's serious about it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »

I knew it. The man who is setting up an agency to publish a list of crimes by immigrants is not going to support a path to legal status, even if it does prevent these people from voting.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »

I knew it. The man who is setting up an agency to publish a list of crimes by immigrants is not going to support a path to legal status, even if it does prevent these people from voting.

The path to legal status is for non-criminals (sans the crime of entering illegally) . 

But did he mention a path to legal status for these non-criminals? This report suggests he didn't.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:52:11 PM »

Immigration reform without a path to citizenship which instead reduces legal immigration was not something featured prominently in Trump's campaign enough for there to have been considered any sort of mandate for it. It certainly wasn't featured anywhere near enough to be a first legislative priority.

Further, it undercuts arguments against illegal immigrants, that rely on the notion that "legal immigrants waited in long lines, so they are deserving." This would make those lines even longer.

It would also put the U.S. out of step of countries like the U.K., which have about the same percentage of foreign born residents as the U.S., despite the U.S. being a country of immigrants, unlike the U.K. In Australia, 28% of the population is foreign born, 20% in Canada, versus only 13% in the U.S. The only groups it supports are wealthy corporations who want skilled labor, and Bannon/Miller types who don't want the wrong types of people in the country, regardless of any other factors.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 01:07:17 AM »

I disagree.  An intelligent person always takes a strong bargaining position to start a negotiation.  I don't think Americans are against a path to legalization.  In fact, I think Republicans would support a path to legalization, as evidenced by Reagan.  There needs to be some sort of mechanism to prevent the mass illegal immigration to the United States that was promised in the 80s.  

Trump is correct about the open borders.  The crime that has flooded here from Mexico and other Central America countries is absurd.  Take an hour or two to investigate the situation.  Do you really think that illegal immigrants commit less crimes than citizens?  Bull****.  Watch an episode of Gangland.  The most violent gangs in America are comprised of illegal immigrants.  

Today, a Democrat claimed that 5% of crime in this country is committed by illegal immigrants. Wrong.  5% of incarcerations in federal and state prisons equates to illegal immigrants.  This stat is nonsense, because many states do not accurately categorize inmates as legal or illegal citizens.  However, the Federal Government finds that 22% of inmates are illegal immigrants.  Why?  Because the Federal Government deals with the accurate determination of legal status.  

If this is just a bargaining position to negotiate towards a path to legal status, then of course I take back what I said. I still await any evidence that it is, though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies