Trump hates health, likes salmonella (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:11:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump hates health, likes salmonella (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump hates health, likes salmonella  (Read 966 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 15, 2016, 10:43:54 PM »

Unfortunately this will resonate with his base.  "Stop big business regulations on our food industry! Down with the FDA!"

Well, until they're getting sick and seeing their country transformed into India or Africa.

It'll be Obama's fault, and further prove government can't do anything right, cut regulations and oversight, rinse and repeat.

I have no love for the Donald. This is crazy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »

FDA food police? how dumb is this guy?

The FDA literally are the food police.  But Democrats can keep calling farmers who worry about it stupid and wonder why they are losing rural America.

those poor farmers, they have to make food people can actually eat without getting sick. if the shrinking-by-the-day rural america thinks that standard is too strict than I really don't care about their votes.

If you prefer our food to be grown by an ever smaller number of producers relying on tightly controlled factory farming, that's fine. But when the hollowing out of rural America is accompanied by declines in life expectancy, I question whether that is helpful to the goal of people not getting sick.

Life expectancy isn't falling because we aren't getting norovirus in our bacon.

try reading what I said again.

Your argument appears to be more food safety --> less farmers --> more people in cities --> less life expectancy, which isn't exactly wrong, but cutting regulations isn't the way to solve it. It would be better to clean up urban areas instead of trying to do what Trump wants, which wouldn't increase health at all.

It isn't actually about more people in cities.  It's about the people who remain in rural areas not having productive livelihoods or thriving communities, and people everywhere relying on a certain type of agriculture for their food.  I'm not against some sort of food safety regulation, I'm against the way the FDA has tended to approach it, especially since the FSMA passed by Congress.
http://inthesetimes.com/rural-america/entry/19012/the-food-safety-and-modernization-act-has-consequences-for-small-farmers

The biggest threat to family farms isn't regulation per se, it's that flouting regulation is to a substantial degree permitted more for large agribusiness with powerful friends in government and corps of lobbyists that family farmers lack.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies