Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:51:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 78
Author Topic: Trumpcare Megathread: It's dead (for now)  (Read 173306 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: July 25, 2017, 09:00:54 PM »

Lee votes no on his own amendment.
Do you remember when McConnell filibustered his own bill?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #926 on: July 25, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »

Lee votes no on his own amendment.
Do you remember when McConnell filibustered his own bill?
Yes, McCaskill got very, very confused.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #927 on: July 25, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »

So their choices literally are: total repeal, get 60 voted for BRCA or AHCA, or just let people not have insurance? but that might need 60 votes, too..
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #928 on: July 25, 2017, 09:29:01 PM »

So their choices literally are: total repeal, get 60 voted for BRCA or AHCA, or just let people not have insurance? but that might need 60 votes, too..

Skinny repeal is where they are headed for.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #929 on: July 25, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »

Skinny repeal will destroy and destabilize the insurance companies

I know.

It may be the worst choice politically, because that is a premium hike on everyone. Senators are being willfully ignorant if they think they can vote yes on that and not be held responsible for the consequences.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #930 on: July 25, 2017, 09:33:56 PM »

I know.

It may be the worst choice politically, because that is a premium hike on everyone. Senators are being willfully ignorant if they think they can vote yes on that and not be held responsible for the consequences.

If people are mad about the rate hikes, they'll reply with "we gave you the freedom not to have health insurance anymore!"
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #931 on: July 25, 2017, 09:38:07 PM »

I know.

If people are mad about the rate hikes, they'll reply with "we gave you the freedom not to have health insurance anymore!"

They can try, but it won't work.

Republicans just don't understand people's feelings on health insurance. People don't give a **** about freedom or even choice, it is about security that is affordable.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #932 on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:26 PM »

If only McGinty or Feingold had won.

Bernie would have coattailed McGinty to victory. Sestak probably would have won in spite of Hillary. But the establishment got their way in both primaries, and that could make the difference in whether ObamaCare survives.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #933 on: July 25, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »

Bernie would have coattailed McGinty to victory. Sestak probably would have won in spite of Hillary. But the establishment got their way in both primaries, and that could make the difference in whether ObamaCare survives.

lol

This makes zero sense, Bernie lost the PA primary to Hillary by 12 points.
swf541

« Reply #934 on: July 25, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »

lol

Irrelevant he would have done better in rural areas compared to Clinton though his Sestak comment is much more accurate
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #935 on: July 25, 2017, 11:05:31 PM »

It's intriguing Murkowski and Collins are likely no on the final bill and that BCRA 3.0 failed with Collins, Murkowski, Heller, and Moran against it. Skinny repeal may pass, but I don't think it does.

Heller and Capito-Moore will probably be a yes on any final iteration to avoid a primary challenge unless the GOP stampede against the "skinny repeal." I'm not sure on the rest of the GOP Senate caucus.

Ultimately: where does the GOP Congress go from here? For all the bellowing about the MTP being passed, the GOP road still is bleak. The Senate is adamantly against BCRA 3.0 (that included Cruz's amendment), the House repeal bill, and the anything that threatens Medicaid. They barely scraped by on a routine MTP that should have seen 52 GOP Senators for it. I'm not even sure McCain will be back in September for the final vote IF we get that far.

I'm still very doubtful that McConnell's manager amendment and final bill will clear the chamber on Thursday/Friday. It just feels that MTP was a sign that the opposition was too intense that they barely cleared the numbers needed.

I'm not convinced there are 50 votes for a skinny repeal bill. Even less am I convinced that there's 50 senators for major changes to Medicaid. Despite Portman and Shelley Moore-Capito's vote today, I think that this remains a major sticking point for a number of Senators.

For the record, this entire bill is leaving 80-90% of ObamaCare in place. And reconciliation authority expires, I believe, September 30 and they have to move to tax reform.

For 8 months spent on this, I'm not seeing much in the way of productivity.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #936 on: July 25, 2017, 11:18:36 PM »

lol

Irrelevant he would have done better in rural areas compared to Clinton though his Sestak comment is much more accurate

And he would have done worse in the suburbs and the cities then Clinton.

There is no evidence of Bernie winning PA, now if you want to argue MI....go ahead.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #937 on: July 26, 2017, 01:32:59 AM »

lol

And he would have done worse in the suburbs and the cities then Clinton.

There is no evidence of Bernie winning PA, now if you want to argue MI....go ahead.

Bernie did better with the WWC than Hillary, a key demographic in Pennsylvania, and she maxed out in Philadelphia and still lost a state that Obama won by 6%. Plus if Bernie won nationally(in the EC too), as early polls showed him doing and with a better margin than Clinton, he'd likely win Pennsylvania.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #938 on: July 26, 2017, 07:32:01 AM »

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  1 hour ago

Senator @lisamurkowski of the Great State of Alaska really let the Republicans, and our country, down yesterday. Too bad!

--

More people to shame, instead of picking up the phone and/or having them over to talk out a plan...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #939 on: July 26, 2017, 08:14:55 AM »

Republicans will pass something to send to Conference Committee and in a few months we'll have the same arguments we had these past few weeks about Medicaid cuts, extreme repeal, etc. and be one step closer to them pushing the red button that destroys the U.S. insurance market.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #940 on: July 26, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »

At least the BCRA failed by a vote of 43-57 and now they are going to full repeal. Guess who still voted for the "current bill"? Mc Cain.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #941 on: July 26, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »

Amendment votes today

11:30 - Full Obamacare Repeal

3:30 - D motion to send healthcare back to committees
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #942 on: July 26, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »

Amendment votes today

11:30 - Full Obamacare Repeal

3:30 - D motion to send healthcare back to committees

Does the D motion take 51 or 60?

I think 60, I'll lol if John McCain doesn't vote for it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #943 on: July 26, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »

So, there are no other bills that haven't been voted on except the "let's just let people off the hook on insurance"?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #944 on: July 26, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »

So, there are no other bills that haven't been voted on except the "let's just let people off the hook on insurance"?

That one will be the last one, either late tomorrow or Friday.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #945 on: July 26, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »

Heller on "skinny repeal":

"We'll see at the end of the day what's in it, but overall I think I'd support it."

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/890232180449972224
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #946 on: July 26, 2017, 10:41:22 AM »

Heller on "skinny repeal":

"We'll see at the end of the day what's in it, but overall I think I'd support it."

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/890232180449972224
Heller you manwhore
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #947 on: July 26, 2017, 10:51:07 AM »

Meh...I called it months ago. ACA is done. There are no moderate Republicans.

Time for Democrats to move onto single-payer

It appears that if the "skinny repeal" just takes people off the hook, it would basically be a 10% repeal and ruin the insurance markets and GOP would be blamed. It would be a lose-lose-lose "feel good" half-measure....it might not even be a 50 vote option.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #948 on: July 26, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »

Skinny Repeal is likely not the final bill. That's just a vehicle for conference
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #949 on: July 26, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »

Meh...I called it months ago. ACA is done. There are no moderate Republicans.

Time for Democrats to move onto single-payer

It appears that if the "skinny repeal" just takes people off the hook, it would basically be a 10% repeal and ruin the insurance markets and GOP would be blamed. It would be a lose-lose-lose "feel good" half-measure....it might not even be a 50 vote option.

Good way to shoe horn a public option once the dumbass GOP ruins the insurance markets

That's what I think.

Skinny Repeal is likely not the final bill. That's just a vehicle for conference

And that has what? 50 votes max? Any amendments will need to be unanimously agreed on.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies