Was Obama one of the most consequential presidents in American history? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:33:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Was Obama one of the most consequential presidents in American history? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think this is true? "Barack Obama is officially one of the most consequential presidents in American history" (re: Vox)
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (non-D)

No (non-D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Was Obama one of the most consequential presidents in American history?  (Read 737 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: March 26, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »

At least give this article's central arguments a skim first before voting

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/26/8849925/obama-obamacare-history-presidents

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think there is something to be made of this point. Given the difficulties in taking away social programs, it might be that for all PPACA's flaws, it has effectively moved the debate on the issue for good and made providing affordable (or better) healthcare access an obligation of the federal government:

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:08:47 PM »

He's a road paver for something much greater a bit of a ways down the road, but paving roads mean the old road still exists.

Which matters to you more? Therein lies your answer to the question.

That's true. Obama has always kind of come across as a "paved road president" to me. I like that he has brought liberal ideas back, but I always felt his actual policy was in many cases not quite the liberal policy I was looking for.

However, I'm not entirely sure that this excludes him in this question. We could have just as easily gotten another less-liberal president who didn't push for the same things. Plus, I've always thought Obama has had quite a unique effect on the Millennial generation. Not all presidents are like this, regardless of their ideology. While we might not see it right now, especially with the state-level losses suffered under Obama, we may owe some of political successes down the road to the coalition Obama helped cement during his tenure.

Anyone who says this isn't even trying to be fair. The world is on fire.

Of all the Democrats after FDR, where would you rank Obama then?

Truman
Kennedy
Johnson
Carter
Clinton
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies