Should texting while driving be banned? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 09:31:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should texting while driving be banned? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Should texting while driving be banned?  (Read 1307 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: September 29, 2014, 09:18:39 AM »

Yes.

I personally don't see how texting while driving is anymore dangerous than applying makeup while driving or eating while driving, two things that, as far as I am aware, are not banned in any state.

Eating is distinguishable just because you can eat without looking at your food.  That's the problem with texting, it's distracting and takes your eyes off the road.  Eating is a distraction, for sure.  But, the surest way to cause an accident is not looking at the road.

Putting on makeup is probably worse than eating, but it's just not all that common.  Texting while driving has killed thousands of people, putting on makeup while driving has killed a very small number I would bet.  And, there are reasons for that.  Texting has this addictive quality, it gives you access to your friends and an immediacy that makes it very attractive when you're bored.  People hear the siren call of their cell phone, which overrides their common sense.  Someone who would never put on makeup or read a book while driving will make the same mistake with their cell phone.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're not crashing into someone else, I don't really care if you're texting as you drive.

How does that make any sense?  People don't choose to crash their car, it's an accident.  Texting dramatically increases the risk of an accident.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies