The most unpopular election in recent history (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:56:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The most unpopular election in recent history (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The most unpopular election in recent history  (Read 2072 times)
PresidentSamTilden

« on: August 30, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »

I want to highlight this section from the Monomouth national poll release yesterday:

"'The number of voters who cannot bring themselves to voice a positive opinion of either presidential nominee is more than three times higher than in any other election in recent memory.  This is unprecedented," said Murray.'"

http://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_US_082916/

It's undeniable that both of these candidates are at record lows in favorable ratings. Some people point to polarization for this. However, I argue that in a perfectly polarized environment, both candidates would be at 50/50. In addition, 21% of voters have expressed a dislike for BOTH candidates - another record high.

I have two questions for the minds here:

1. Would other candidates, for example Sanders and Kasich, have favorable ratings more in line with norms for presidential elections? Or are Hillary and Donald's ratings more indicative of a general dissatisfaction in America?

2. How were two candidates that are so generally unpopular able to win their respective nominations fairly easily?
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »

what about James Blaine and Grover Cleveland (after we found out Cleveland had a child out of wedlock)?

Well, I meant recent as in since the 70's or so. But I've never heard of this, what was the story with that election?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies