What is your heritage? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:37:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is your heritage? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is your heritage?  (Read 4228 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: June 01, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »

My mother's family originally settled in New France with the first settlers in the 1500s, they came from Saint-Malo (Brittany), though with the ways families are in practice, there's probably a whole mix of Native American/Normand/Poitevin/Flemish/Picard/Irish etc blood in the line anyways. My father came to Canada in the 1970s, his family is from Brittany, though I've heard something about some people having moved from Flanders/the north of France during WW1. Hence, predominantly Breton/Celtic.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:30:03 AM »

I found some random additional info on my maternal ancestors, from her father's line:
http://www.francogene.com/genealogie-quebec-genealogy/004/004043.php

The guy was born in 1639 in Saint-Malo, Brittany and died in Quebec in 1680. He married and had five kids. His wife was born in Quebec but her dad came from La Flèche (Sarthe) and her mom from Paris. Which just goes to show how quickly you get off track when tracking down ancestry and how diverse it is. I had no clue that my distant, distant, distant ancestors were also from the Sarthe...

This page: http://www.famille-arbour.com/2011/11/30/famille-hayet-dit-malo-gilles-1610/ seem to continue down and includes family names (Forest, Malo) related to my family.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies