How altruistic are you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:54:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How altruistic are you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you offer to die if you are absolutely sure it will save 1,000 lives of people not from your country that you don't know?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (Other)

No (Other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: How altruistic are you?  (Read 2546 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2005, 09:22:16 PM »

There is a philisophical theory that views self-sacrifice as evil.  Oddly enough it's Ayn Rand's Objectivism.

Then Ayn Rand is clearly a bitch.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2005, 09:32:41 PM »

There is a philisophical theory that views self-sacrifice as evil.  Oddly enough it's Ayn Rand's Objectivism.

Then Ayn Rand is clearly a bitch.

Never read Ayn Rand, so I can't really be sure about what she believed except based on what I've heard. I do view the notion of forcing self-sacrifice on others as evil - a self-sacrifice is a sacrifice made by one's own free will, one in line with one's own values, not something to be determined or forced on you by others. As living beings, our duty is not to place ourselves upon a sacrificial altar, but to live and live well. I don't think it is our duty to be self-sacrificing, I think it is instead our duty to be self-interested and to allow others to act in their own self-interest. However, self-interest and self-sacrifice are not mutually exclusive, as I said, self-sacrifice is fine if it is in line with your own values - your values are part of your self-interests, so acting by those values is in your self-interest. However, self-sacrifice for something that to you is not worth the trade is foolish.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies