Associate Justice Confirmation Hearing: Ernest [Confirmed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 01:38:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Associate Justice Confirmation Hearing: Ernest [Confirmed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Associate Justice Confirmation Hearing: Ernest [Confirmed]  (Read 2223 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2007, 11:42:19 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2007, 01:14:53 PM by Verily »

As the President has nominated Ernest to serve as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Atlasia, this Senate hearing is convened to consider the nomination.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 03:01:59 AM »

1. What do you believe to be the most important qualities of a good Justice?
2. How broad a power on legislative matters (such as environmental, health, or labor issues) do you feel the Constitution guarantees the Senate?
3. You dissented in the decision striking down the federal minimum wage as unconstitutional.  Have your views evolved on this issue since then?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:24:48 PM »

1. What do you believe to be the most important qualities of a good Justice?

Patience is clearly the most important quality. Starting with the plain text of the law as the basis of interpretation is fundamental.

2. How broad a power on legislative matters (such as environmental, health, or labor issues) do you feel the Constitution guarantees the Senate?

I'd prefer to answer the question leaving aside the Public Interest Amendment, both because that Amendment has not yet been ratified and I anticipate that cases concerning it are likely to come before the court soon.

To the extent that environmental, health, or labor issues pertain to an "item of commerce" as defined by the Bono v. Atlasia II decision, then the Senate has broad authority under Article I Section 5 Clause 9 to set standards for such items.  Also, the Senate may clearly use such factors to influence how it disburses the public purse.  For issues that do not involve an item of commerce or the public purse, the Senate's power is considerably limited though the extent of such limits has not been defined.

3. You dissented in the decision striking down the federal minimum wage as unconstitutional.  Have your views evolved on this issue since then?

My dissent was based upon the view than an abstract entity, such as an hour of labor, could be considered an item of commerce.  The majority disagreed and determined that only tangible entities could be considered items of commerce.  I still hold to my basic premise that abstract entities can be items of commerce, but in view of Part X of Bono v. Atlasia II, it is the burden of the Senate to show that an abstract entity is indeed an item of commerce before it could use its powers under Article I Section 5 Clause 9 to set standards for such things.  The Fair Wage Act failed to meet that burden and thus was invalidated.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:24:35 PM »

Citing a lack of controversy (for me) in former decisions under this constitution, and confidence in the answers so far given, and decisions made by Ernest in the past, I have no questions for him, and plan to vote to confirm.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 02:54:29 PM »

I will vote to confirm, also.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:16:53 PM »

This hearing is now concluded. We are now voting on the confirmation of Ernest as Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Atlasia. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain accordingly.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 06:17:21 PM »

Aye
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 06:27:34 PM »

Aye
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 08:48:08 PM »

aye
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 01:26:24 AM »

Nay
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 03:58:48 AM »

Aye.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 06:10:33 AM »

I can only express my discontent at what someone eloquently described to me just a couple days ago as certain people attempting to turn the Supreme Court into an ideological playground, as opposed to an institution where the meeting of great legal minds flourishes.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 08:52:17 AM »

Aye
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 01:03:40 PM »

Aye
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 01:08:47 PM »

I can only express my discontent at what someone eloquently described to me just a couple days ago as certain people attempting to turn the Supreme Court into an ideological playground, as opposed to an institution where the meeting of great legal minds flourishes.

Yet another reason to vote Aye.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 01:14:41 PM »

Result on Confirmation
Aye: 7 (Verily; SoS; Sensei; Moderate; afleitch; Brandon; Sam)
Nay: 1 (Ebowed)
Abstain [Didn't vote]: 2 (Earl; Friz)

With seven in favor, Ernest is confirmed as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Atlasia. Congratulations, Ernest.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 02:48:21 PM »

I shall follow the precedent established by Justice opebo and wait until the court has a case to swear in, or at least until Bullmoose swears in as Chief Justice.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 03:21:31 PM »

Abstain ftr
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »

Yet another reason to vote Aye.

Interestingly, Porce expressed his intention to vote to confirm Emsworth according to the rest of the quote which was omitted here.

I can only ask why the gentleman has these fears.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 01:55:20 AM »

You're using circular reasoning if you accuse me of politicizing the Supreme Court by voting against a libertarian, but don't make the same accusation of the President for nominating one.

You will note that I voted to confirm bullmoose88, another self-described libertarian.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »

While I have libertarian tendencies, I definitely would not consider myself a pure libertarian or call myself a libertarian.  For one thing, I think there are some powers that government should have beyond being able to call up the militia to defend the country.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies