Who said it: Biden or Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:09:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who said it: Biden or Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who said it: Biden or Trump?  (Read 368 times)
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2024, 12:20:58 PM »

It is - give or take - six months until Americans vote for which of Donald Trump or Joe Biden deserves a second term in the White House. Both have had their fair share of controversial comments, useful utterances and, well, remarkable remarks.

I therefore put the following six quotes of note from recent times before you. Your challenge is to pick out which of these were said by The Donald, and which were said by Dark Brandon! No cheating! Answers at 10pm Eastern European Summer Time on Tuesday.

I: "In my imagination, there is no complication. I dream about you all the time; in the night of celebration, the sweetest of sensation, thinking you could be mine. In my imagination, there is no hesitation; we work together hand in hand. I'm dreaming you fell in love with me like I'm in love with you. Now dreaming's all I do - if only they come true!"

II: "For the first time in this century, for the first time in perhaps all history, man does not have to invent a system by which to live. We don't have to talk late into the night about which form of government is better. We don't have to wrest justice from the kings."

III: "I really wasn't expecting to like it. I thought I wouldn't want to finish an 800-page book, but then I started slowing down and reading the same chapters over and over. You fall in love with the characters; you grow up with them."

IV: "Right now, in the greatest country in human history, we have too many families paying too much for groceries; too many mothers searching frantically for baby formula; and too many children who are so far behind in the classroom, they might never get ahead."

V: "Vladimir Putin says he is a religious man, a great supporter of the Russian Orthodox Church. If so, he may well go to bed each night, say his prayers and ask God: 'Why didn't you put some mountains in Ukraine?'"

VI: "Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose."
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 01:11:08 PM »

All I know is that the first quote was written by Mike Stock and sung by the great Kylie Minogue.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 06:26:59 PM »

Biden
Trump
Trump
Trump
Biden
Biden
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 12:34:19 PM »

I: Biden
II: Trump (hyperbolic)
III: Trump (hyperbolic)
IV: Trump (hyperbolic)
V: Biden
VI: Biden

Trump uses certain words far more often than someone else, that's why it is easy to figure out what Trump said and what someone else said. If you'd had: Who said it: Biden or Bush, i wouldn't be able to figure out who said what.

But for Trump it's easy because he has a certain style, that is basically hyperbolic all the time.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 02:02:11 PM »

The correct answer is that NONE of these quotes were said by either candidate!

I is the first verse from Kylie Minogue's excellent single, I Should Be So Lucky - kudos to BlueSwan. (You call Stock, Aitken and Waterman autotune merchants. I call them revolutionaries.)

II is a quote from George H.W. Bush's excellent Inaugural Address.

III is Jennifer Lawrence's praise for Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, the excellence of which I cannot attest to owing to the fact I haven't read it myself.

IV is a quote from Nikki Haley's not-so-excellent Presidential campaign announcement. Sorry, Nikki.

V is the first paragraph of the introduction to Tim Marshall's excellent book, Prisoners of Geography.

VI is a quote from Antonio Scalia's excellent majority ruling in DC v. Heller (page 626).

Kalo Pascha! Christos Anesti!
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 02:28:45 PM »

I is the first verse from Kylie Minogue's excellent single, I Should Be So Lucky - kudos to BlueSwan. (You call Stock, Aitken and Waterman autotune merchants. I call them revolutionaries.)
Well, technically autotune didn't even exist back then. But yeah, they were pop geniuses. Unfortunately, Mike Stock (the main songwriter) has become a raving right wing conspiracy lunatic. I had to unfollow him due to all the Qanon adjacent nonsense like chemtrails, covid-vaccines killing people, stolen election BS and of course general Trump-worshipping (which is always extra strange when coming from non-Americans).
Angel of Death
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 05:09:06 PM »

Well, technically autotune didn't even exist back then. But yeah, they were pop geniuses.

You call them revolutionaries or pop geniuses. I call them plagiarists.
Zenobiyl
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 06:04:22 PM »

I would’ve guessed Trump Biden Trump Biden Trump Biden
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 01:56:13 PM »

Well, technically autotune didn't even exist back then. But yeah, they were pop geniuses.

You call them revolutionaries or pop geniuses. I call them plagiarists.
That one was pretty egregious, but they did end up settling that one out of court. Their (mostly Mike Stock) sense of melody was pretty astounding though. Yes, they quite often borrowed liberally from other songs, like Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" famously nicks the bassline from Colonel Abrams "Trapped", but they did turn these bits into something else and usually something far more melodic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies