St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:17:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed  (Read 1247 times)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2008, 04:35:18 AM »

ST. LOUIS —  A St. Louis city leader frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

"The community has to be ready to defend itself, because it's clear the economy is going to get worse, and criminals are getting more bold," Troupe, 72, said Tuesday.

Troupe said that when he and residents approached a district police commander last year, they were told "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community ... that he didn't have the manpower."

Police did not immediately return requests for comment. Chief Dan Isom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he understands Troupe's frustration but doesn't support citizens arming themselves.

Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community."

Good for this city leader. It's about time people started taking their personal security seriously.

Their goof-of-a police chief..... what a schmuck. "Carrying guns isn't a recipe for a less violent community." The nerve of this twerp. What does he think his officers are carrying in their holsters, cigarette lighters? Tongue

No wonder St. Louis has a major crime problem.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:28:02 AM »

ST. LOUIS —  A St. Louis city leader frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

"The community has to be ready to defend itself, because it's clear the economy is going to get worse, and criminals are getting more bold," Troupe, 72, said Tuesday.

Troupe said that when he and residents approached a district police commander last year, they were told "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community ... that he didn't have the manpower."

Police did not immediately return requests for comment. Chief Dan Isom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he understands Troupe's frustration but doesn't support citizens arming themselves.

Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community."

Good for this city leader. It's about time people started taking their personal security seriously.

Their goof-of-a police chief..... what a schmuck. "Carrying guns isn't a recipe for a less violent community." The nerve of this twerp. What does he think his officers are carrying in their holsters, cigarette lighters? Tongue

No wonder St. Louis has a major crime problem.

That's the typical anti gun libreal for ya.  Less guns in the hands of the good guys = less crime. 

If you are in a bank and planned to rob it, wouldn't you think twice about doing that once you saw everybody else packing? 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:14:12 AM »

Yeah, add more firepower! That will no doubt help the situation to cool off!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 07:30:29 AM »

If you are in a bank and planned to rob it, wouldn't you think twice about doing that once you saw everybody else packing? 

Perhaps, but as a non-bank robbing bank customer, I would choose not to enter any bank that contained a crowd of armed persons, MK.  I would fear very much being hit by stray bullets if all those dumbs started shooting for whatever reason.

Keep in mind that the North Side of St. Louis has extremely high crime rates because of the rich - the owning class in america oppresses the people of ghettos like North St. Louis, and naturally a few of them lash out randomly in an attempt to survive.  The 'crime problem' could be solved easily by massive redistribution and privilege reduction, but obviously the 'real criminals' that are victimizing people would never allow that.  So, there is no feasible solution.

If you live in a less oppressed (white working or middle class) area, you are far more likely to get shot by a loved one or some other hothead armed citizen than any 'robber'.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:57:46 AM »

Perhaps, but as a non-bank robbing bank customer, I would choose not to enter any bank that contained a crowd of armed persons, MK.  I would fear very much being hit by stray bullets if all those dumbs started shooting for whatever reason.

Keep in mind that the North Side of St. Louis has extremely high crime rates because of the rich - the owning class in america oppresses the people of ghettos like North St. Louis, and naturally a few of them lash out randomly in an attempt to survive.  The 'crime problem' could be solved easily by massive redistribution and privilege reduction, but obviously the 'real criminals' that are victimizing people would never allow that.  So, there is no feasible solution.

If you live in a less oppressed (white working or middle class) area, you are far more likely to get shot by a loved one or some other hothead armed citizen than any 'robber'.

DC
Newark
CHI
Det

We've seen this gun control experiment long enough.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:59:48 AM »

DC
Newark
CHI
Det

It is irrelevant, Mike Keller.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:12:17 AM »

DC
Newark
CHI
Det

It is irrelevant, Mike Keller.

Not really.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:25:01 AM »

I think it'll help, but there are also additional ways that this problem can be remedied.

Start a community watch program.  Try to start a volunteer sheriff/police officer program in the area.

Fundraise for the police department so they can hire more cops.

DC
Newark
CHI
Det

And as for Detroit, frankly, I don't trust Detroit cops.  They've covered up way too much stuff under Kwame Kilpatrick under the leadership of (now former) Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings.  Cops there run red lights because they know that if they stop, they're vulnerable.  The more good citizens in Detroit with guns, the better.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »

I think it'll help, but there are also additional ways that this problem can be remedied.

Start a community watch program.  Try to start a volunteer sheriff/police officer program in the area.

Fundraise for the police department so they can hire more cops.

DC
Newark
CHI
Det

And as for Detroit, frankly, I don't trust Detroit cops.  They've covered up way too much stuff under Kwame Kilpatrick under the leadership of (now former) Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings.  Cops there run red lights because they know that if they stop, they're vulnerable.  The more good citizens in Detroit with guns, the better.

Great ideals.  I agree with opebo aswell about hardships and "spread the wealth", but theres no reason to kill & rob people because you are having hard economic times.

Look at Chi, I guess Obama and those tough gun laws really helped clean up the streets huh?  Guns in the right hands will help at cutting crime.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 12:17:38 PM »

lol, typical of a west coast elitist like AkSaber to attack a midwestern city.

St Louis City is no more dangerous then the urban core of any other city, it is just in its very own jurisdiction that skews the statistics.

While I agree with the city leader about the 2nd amendment, we need to improve our police department, and/or have the Missouri Highway Patrol and the US National Gaurd assist them. The County PD and the various other municipal departments are great, but the city PD sucks and hires ONLY on affirmative action, yuck.

Inks, I agree with community volunter policing, however you are wrong about hiring more cops. The City of St Louis has more police officers then the city of Kansas City, and KC has more people!

Our city PD may suck, but the county PD is great.

Jay Nixon will fix the city of St Louis, like he will fix everything else. He has to clean up the mess that Holden and especially Blunt left us.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 01:28:46 PM »

New Orleans is still worse off. They have about 200 homicides this year and their population is only approaching 330.000, yet their rate has gone down from an insane 100 killings/100.000 inhabitants right after Katrina to about 60 this year ...
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 02:01:09 PM »

Jay Nixon will save the City of St Louis. Don't you worry guys. He needs to clean up the mess of the two previous governors.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 08:16:11 PM »

Hey hey hey hey hey!! I take exception to that, Jim. The Northeast is where the elitism is. Us, out West, we're just angry. Tongue Grin
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »

lol, typical of a west coast elitist like AkSaber to attack a midwestern city.

LOL
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »

Having fun oversimplifying everything?

On topic, I agree with the council member's assertion.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 12:01:10 AM »

Inks, I agree with community volunter policing, however you are wrong about hiring more cops. The City of St Louis has more police officers then the city of Kansas City, and KC has more people!

I just said it based on what I read.  If it's not needed, then don't do it.  Obviously I don't have a whole lot of insight on the situation and was just making a suggestion based on what I read.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 09:52:00 AM by Mike Keller »

Telling the residents to get armed is a good ideal, but its probably too late. This is another case of a gun- control city - with people who feel their one way to survive is to steal/ rob/ mug or however you want to label it.  Better and more tougher lawinforcement would also aid in this. The "get tough" ideal worked *somewhat* in LA in the late 80's early 90's at cutting the gang crime.  Opponents of my position know that their libreal stance is flawed, and shown not to work . Those cities I listed have the strict gun laws, and oddly enough the highest crime rates.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

^When the bad guys know the helpless are actually helpless they'll take advantage.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »

Telling the residents to get armed is a good ideal, but its probably too late. This is another case of a gun- control city - with people who feel their one way to survive is to steal/ rob/ mug or however you want to label it.  Better and more tougher lawinforcement would also aid in this. The "get tough" ideal worked *somewhat* in LA in the late 80's early 90's at cutting the gang crime.  Opponents of my position know that their libreal stance is flawed, and shown not to work . Those cities I listed have the strict gun laws, and oddly enough the highest crime rates.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

^When the bad guys know the helpless are actually helpless they'll take advantage.

In Urban areas we need gun control.

In rural areas, everyone should have guns.

ugh.. typical southerner.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies