Confirmation Hearing: TexasGurl (Associate Justice)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:34:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: TexasGurl (Associate Justice)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: TexasGurl (Associate Justice)  (Read 4912 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 04:29:45 PM »

Emsworth has a strong legal mind, more than enough to compensate any ideological misgivings.  It's with Texasgurl's very much "unjudicial" terperament that my problems lie.  Her extreme hostility to people of differing ideologies or views from her is exactly the opposite of the dispassionate mind we need from a court justice.  All of our great justices have had this dispassionate, calm, fair-minded temperament.
My hostility is for those who go out of their way to attack me with no reason other than blind dislike of me personaly.
I get along with StatesRights and many others who are no where near my position ideologicaly.
Like the so called "radical" agenda used by a senator as an excuse to vote against me this is no more than a red herring.
You guys should at least have the courage to admit why you are against me and quit making lame excuses.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 05:21:52 PM »

It should be pointed out, again if it hasn't been already, that Texasgurl is about as qualified as is possible to be for this job; she was a Justice on the Court a while back, and a pretty good one as well.

To vote down one candidate because of alledged ideological extremism, but happily voted to confirm another just as "extreme" is also known as hypocrisy.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 05:24:09 PM »

To vote down one candidate because of alledged ideological extremism, but happily voted to confirm another just as "extreme" is also known as hypocrisy.

Emsworth is already on the court and he actually has a good legal mind and doesn't constantly attack everyone who disagrees with him.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 06:51:19 PM »

Emsworth is already on the court and he actually has a good legal mind and doesn't constantly attack everyone who disagrees with him.
Once again a straw man.
I do not agree with StatesRights,WMS,SuperSoulty,Ebowed,KEmperor,Dibble and many many others and i do not attack them because they have always shown a little respect towards me and i reciprocate.
Al hit it on the head.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 06:53:52 PM »

Once again a straw man.
I do not agree with StatesRights,WMS,SuperSoulty,Ebowed,KEmperor,Dibble and many many others and i do not attack them because they have always shown a little respect towards me and i reciprocate.
Al hit it on the head.

Once again it's hard to show respect toward anyone who doesn't show it back to you for a long time. And one who's changed to attack.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2006, 06:56:44 PM »

All anyone has to do is stop attacking me and i do the same, Kramer is a good example of doing it the wrong way and Assad is a good example of the right way.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2006, 06:59:41 PM »

All anyone has to do is stop attacking me and i do the same, Kramer is a good example of doing it the wrong way and Assad is a good example of the right way.

You mean like when I say something you don't like and has nothing to do about you and you attack me? Yeah, it won't work that way and you know it.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2006, 07:02:45 PM »

And what are you doing in this thread?
You have not made one single legitimate reason why i should not be confirmed.
All you have is you don't like me.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2006, 07:05:04 PM »

And what are you doing in this thread?
You have not made one single legitimate reason why i should not be confirmed.
All you have is you don't like me.

All I've said is you won't recieve my vote and that before you would have because you aren't like you are now. Then you start it by attacking me, there ya go.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »

She's been kinda rude to me in the past but I don't really care or "lose any sleep" over it; she'd be a great Justice.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2006, 10:41:15 PM »

I don't agree with much of what Emsworth says either, but I would back him for Chief Justice because I believe he has a fine legal mind.  If he disagrees with you, he doesn't lash out and openly ridicule your opinion.  You tend to do that often.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2006, 10:22:56 AM »

I hereby open up the confirmation vote on Texasgurl as Associate Justice. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2006, 10:23:19 AM »

Nay
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2006, 10:27:55 AM »

Nay.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2006, 10:53:23 AM »

Aye. And that will definitely get me in some hot water with people. Wink
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2006, 11:28:00 AM »

Aye
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2006, 12:29:09 PM »

Aye.  She has done nothing to say that she would inappropriate as a judge.  Her personality should not be a factor.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2006, 01:28:26 PM »

Yup
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2006, 01:34:34 PM »

It's not hypocrisy from my reasoning Al. I'm not voting to confirm Texasgurl because of her ultra liberalism, any more than I wouldn't vote for Emsworth because of his ultra libertarianism. Of course, I do have strong misgivings about having overtly ideological people of any inclination on the Supreme Court, and I've raised this in the hearings; however, that is no reason in itself to vote down any nominee. I can only trust any Supreme Court Justice to make rulings in accordance with the Constitution and not on the basis of their own ideological whims and follies

For me, it is a question of temperament , and it's because of an ill-mannered one, that I vote Nay on this nominee

'Hawk'
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 01:37:23 PM »

So far we have 4 ayes (WMS, jerusalemcar5, jas, ilikeverin) and 3 nays (Masterjedi, Virginian87, Hawk).
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2006, 02:17:06 PM »

temperment has absolutely nothing to do with being able to make a sound legal decision.
Once again voting against me because i'm a bitch is pretty shallow and juvenile and i applaud those with the guts to stand up to those who are trying to pressure them to vote differently than how their conscious says.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2006, 02:25:28 PM »

temperment has absolutely nothing to do with being able to make a sound legal decision.

^^^^

Exactly.  Regardless of how I view you personally, I know that you'll be a competent and able judge.  People like virginian87 and dave 'hawk' are being "legislative activists" and not looking at the facts.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2006, 02:40:47 PM »

Nay.

I can't say that it's an easy decision, but I am here to make good decision without the influence of friendship.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 02:54:53 PM »

Aye
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2006, 06:25:16 PM »

Incorrect.  Those who let their anger get the best of them cannot make sound, balanced legal decisions.  I want a dispassionate, judicial temperament from my justices.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies