Hashpipe's Great Biotimeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:54:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Hashpipe's Great Biotimeline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Hashpipe's Great Biotimeline  (Read 18044 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2011, 07:36:21 PM »

September 24, 1960
Garrett campaign headquarters
Burlington, Vermont

Garrett unwinds with his campaign manager Steve Thomas after the previous evening's debate.

Garrett: Hoy..... that went badly, no?
Thomas: Hey, I think you did pretty damn well. You went for him point-by-point and you really did well...
Garrett: I wish, but he pretty clearly beat the hell outta me. He's a formidable debater, that Stafford. He had already gotten the life of me in 56.
Thomas: Hey, don't be so damn pessimistic. You did well. You kept him on his guard. You definitely won.
Garrett: Look, I had no idea how forcefully he'd go after rural dev *hic* and the way he did it took me off guard... and goddamn it, with all his sh**t about me an opportunist and power-hungry scum. Who saw that coming?
Thomas: Look, on the economy you did pretty damn well. You really stung him, even though you basically recited talking points.
Garrett: Really?
Thomas: My sources tell me you won on economy and foreign affairs, though he won on rural dev.
Garrett: Damn, that's quite the world upside down. Where do we go from now?
Thomas: A poll will come out soon, that will give us something. We've got no more debates...
Garrett: Praise the Lord.
Thomas: ... and till November it's pretty much straight out campaigning. You've got some fundraising dinners planned, and a whole ton of stump speeches.
Garrett: I like stump speeches.
Thomas: That's good, since you're gonna be giving a whole lot of them.
Garrett: Any in Essex County?
Thomas: Uh... let's see... uh, one, yeah.
Garrett: F**ck... do I really need to go there?
Thomas: They voted for you in '58.
Garrett: Oh, my. That's a scar on my resume.
Thomas: Did you drink, Chris?
Garrett: How can I not drink after a day like that?
Thomas: sigh
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »

Last Straight Line: October 1960

Christopher Garrett spent the rest of October 1960 on the stump throughout Vermont, crisscrossing the state no matter the weather. He had kicked off the final stretch of the campaign with a fundraiser in Burlington attended by prominent Democrats from neighboring states, but the rest of the campaign was spent in small-town Vermont and in a ton of town hall meetings.

Robert Stafford attacked Garrett on the same register that he had in the debate. He claimed Garrett was an opportunist in politics only for personal game, and further criticized Garrett's political philosophy as that of "clinging to... outdated... archaic concepts" and after hitting Garrett surprisingly hard on rural development in the debate highlighted several loopholes and shortcomings with Garrett's landmark legislation. Stafford also benefited from a visit by Republican presidential candidate Richard Nixon, who visited Vermont as part of his 50-state tour. New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller also campaigned for Stafford.

Garrett had the bad feeling that he was behind Stafford by a significant margin. He sensed that he drew smaller crowds than Garrett and that he lacked Stafford's natural appeal. Though his wife and Steve Thomas urged him to keep positive, his natural unrestrained pessimism often kicked in. He struggled to stay positive throughout the campaign, but he still liked the hustings. Crisscrossing Vermont on his staple campaign tour of the state, he focused his campaign on economic issues (often rehashing the Democratic talking points about high-interest and tight-money) and on rural development. He did take jabs at Stafford, saying that Stafford was the epitome of the old Vermont GOP politician circling his way to the top and that he was only in it for himself.

[...] If reelected, I promise to stand for a progressive agenda which is focused around putting an end to the high-interest and tight-money policies of the Republican Party... These are policies which are hurting our family, policies which are hindering the true growth of all American families and which are only helping those business interests. I stand for an agenda which puts families first, and not an agenda which puts business and lobbies first.
--Garrett campaign rally, Winooski, VT; Oct. 14 1960

Gallup finally released its long awaited poll of the contest on October 16. It showed Stafford leading Garrett by a 3-point margin, which was spun by both campaigns as a good showing for them. Stafford spun his lead. Garrett's campaign (not Garrett, who was depressed) spun it as an inconclusive margin well within the nearly 5% margin of error. Either way, the poll showed the race was close although perhaps Stafford did hold a narrow edge.

Gallup poll: October 16, 1960
10/10-15/60, 400 registered voters, +/-4.9% margin of error
Governor Robert T. Stafford (R) 46%
Rep. Christopher A. Garrett (D) 43%
Undecided/refused 11%

Garrett continued his strings of stump speeches and social events throughout Vermont, while Stafford campaigned with Rockefeller in Burlington but held only few campaign events throughout Vermont. Garrett aide Michael Peterson, scanning the voter registration records, built up a small GOTV machine in Burlington, Winooski, South Burlington, Barre, Swanton and Rutland - the main Democratic bases in Vermont. Peterson was hoping for huge turnout in Democratic turnout while conceding the rest of rural Vermont save a few Democratic holdouts to Stafford's Republican machine. Peterson also urged Garrett to reach out specifically to new voters, by sending them mailers (sometimes through his official office as Representative) and targeting them in his speeches.

Garrett's campaign, spearheaded by Steve Thomas, organized a massive last-minute rally in Burlington for November 6. The last minute rally turned out to be a big success, sparking big turnout, a lot of it from Sunday churchgoers and passersby. Though few prominent national Democrats attended it (Garrett's friend, McGovern, couldn't afford being out of South Dakota - he was locked in a very tough fight for Senate), Garrett was unusually perked up by the turnout and the good weather provided a good atmosphere.

[...] My friends, Vermont... I say, let's keep on moving forward! We need new leadership, new energy and new ideas... we don't need the old ideas of the Republicans, nor do we need their economic policies which are tying our families down and preventing us from acceding to the true American dream. We need new energy, new leadership to take on the challenges of the 1960s, foreign and domestic, with a new perspective... I'm sure you'll find it funny that I'm reusing what Garrett says of me, but... my friends... he's wrong. Rural development - helping our producers, helping our communities where some of us have roots - that isn't an outdated or archaic idea. What are outdated ideas... well, I'll tell you, outdated ideas are the policies of the Republican Party. Clinging on to a world view which hinders us in our foreign and domestic policies... clinging to policies of high-interest and tight-money which are hindering our livelihoods to the benefit only of the wealthy few. [...] I'm not in this for the power, because, after all, doesn't being a lawyer or doctor pay better and give you, arguably, more power, than being a single legislator? [...] This election is about the future and the path we will take to face its challenges... I'm not sure Mr. Stafford has what it takes, he offers opposition and criticism to what we've done, but nothing of his own to really positively impact our families... [...] On Tuesday, vote for the Vermont YOU want... for the future YOU want!
--Garrett campaign rally, Burlington, VT; Nov. 6 1960

It was anybody's race on November 8.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »

November 8, 1960
Burlington, Vermont
19:00

Polls have just closed in Vermont as Garrett talks with his closest aides: Steve Thomas, Michael Peterson and his wife Lucie

Garrett: Steve, any rumours?
Thomas: (shuffling papers) Uh, nothing much. We got some heavy turnout in Burlington and Winooski from our observations on the ground, but it's somewhat low in Rutland and Barre.
Garrett: Uh, another damn mixed message. Where is turnout very low?
Peterson: We've been told that turnout is low in remote areas - Essex, Orleans, Caledonia, Lamoille we've been told have seen some low turnout.
Garrett: So, Essex went for me in '58, and on the other hand Lamoille is as solidly GOP as they go. I gather we'll have to wait.
Lucie: Michael, Steve; what's the turnout estimate?
Peterson: We're seeing something around 165,000 or so, which would represent 43k new voters since '58.
Garrett: 43 thousand? Jesus Christ! If those folks break for Bob, I've dead.
Peterson: Nothing says they'll break heavily for him, hell, you could win if you held all your '58 votes and narrowly lost the new voters to Bob. All hope isn't lost.
Lucie: Yes, Chris, for heaven's sake, cheer yourself up. The night is young.

[one hour later]

Peterson: First results! Around 10% reporting, we got Bob ahead of us 52-48 or so.
Thomas: I don't care about that except where those things are coming from. Where are those polls from?
Peterson: Secretary of State says that Chittenden and Rutland are the only ones reporting so far.
Thomas: Ugh...
Garrett: What, Steve?
Thomas: Nothing... nothing... These are only very rough results and they're best treated as crap.
Lucie: From my memory, the cities and countryside report roughly at the same pace, no?
Thomas: It all depends, really.
Garrett: I should go to sleep and wake up at ten or something, or else I'll panic over these useless results...
Thomas: Yeah, go take a nap. We'll wake you up when it's atleast at 50% reporting.

[slightly less than one hour later]

Thomas: Chris, wake up. We've got real results.
Garrett: Good/bad?
Thomas: Meh.
Garrett: Spit it out, Steve.
Thomas: 62% reporting and we've got Stafford narrowly leading us by like 1000 votes.
Garrett: Jesus. What's left?
Peterson: Burlington isn't fully in yet, Winooski's at three-quarters done, Essex and Orleans very low reporting yet.
Garrett: Not bad, then.
Thomas: I think we're heading straight into a wall.
Garrett: How?
Thomas: Right into a tie. Burlington and Winooski will be heavy for you, but Essex and Orleans should be tight enough to keep Stafford ahead or narrowly behind.
Peterson: We need something big, big in Chittenden now; bigger than '58
Garrett: I might as well concede.
Thomas: Calm your horses. Nobody's dead yet. Don't do anything until we get word on what the hell Stafford is doing himself.
Garrett: Isn't it hopeless? We got 73% or so in Burlington and Winooski in '58; and how the hell do we get more?
Peterson: Perhaps it isn't in percentages we should get more, but a heavy vote margin to drown any Stafford edge outside.
Garrett: I sure hope you're right, Mike.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2011, 04:03:46 PM »

GO STAFFORD!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »

I cant wait for the next update.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »

It returns!

It's ten-thirty, on November 8 1960. You're listening to WDEV RadioVermont's live election night coverage. We turn now to a very close contest right here at home for Vermont's seat in the House of Representatives. The race between Representative Chris Garrett, the Democrat and Governor Robert Stafford, the Republican remains too close to call.

Talking head two: Indeed, on the final pre-recount results at 98% reporting we've got Governor Stafford ahead of Representative Garrett by a mere six votes. This is really anyone's race and it will be so for at least another week. The good news for Representative Garrett is that there are still some votes left to count in heavily Democratic areas of Burlington and Winooski.

Vermont's at-large congressional district election, 1960
98.7% reporting
Governor Robert T. Stafford (R) 82,929 votes 50.00%
Rep. Christopher A. Garrett (D) 82,923 votes 49.99%
Scattering 18 votes

November 8, 1960
Burlington, Vermont
22:15

Thomas: The situation is as follows, Chris. We've got a handful of votes left to count in Burlington which will probably put us narrowly over the top. But Republicans will contest the validity of votes cast for us in a number of marginal precincts and they will likely be able to disqualify some votes.
Garrett: Lord, this thing is really on a string. Can we contest any votes cast for Stafford?
Thomas: I'm not sure, I've got Peterson looking into some stuff in the Newport area which might be iffy for the Stafford camp.
Garrett: Christ... I don't... uh... know... what the hell do we do?
Thomas: We wait.
Garrett: No. Get me Stafford on the phone.
Thomas: Why on earth?
Garrett: Just get me Stafford on the damn line.
Thomas: If you say so.

[on the phone with Stafford]

Garrett: Hi, Robert?
Stafford: Hi, Chris. What brings you?
Garrett: Look, Robert, I think you've seen the results and what's gonna come out of it.
Stafford: Yes, Chris, I saw them. What do you want to do about it?[/i]
Garrett: Look, Robert, let's not create some sort of chaos here. It's unlike you and me, and it's unlike this state. Don't contest my votes, I won't contest your votes.
Stafford: Look, Chris, there are definite reports of iffy stuff going on in Burlington with people running out of ballots.
Garrett: Let me tell you, Robert, that my guys have found some iffy stuff around Newport and in rural areas which cancels iffy stuff in Burlington out.
Stafford: I don't...
Garrett: Look, don't contest my votes and I won't contest yours. If you contest my votes, I'm sure as hell going to get my guys to look into what goes on in those villages which go 80% Republican and where Democrats are as rare as South Carolina Republicans.
Stafford: What do you insinuate, Chris?
Garrett: I'm insinuating that it's in our common interest to proceed smoothly. I'll probably lead on preliminary results, then we'll have the automatic recount.
Stafford: And what about the Burlington case?
Garrett: What about it? There's nothing to see there which I can't see going on in middle-of-nowhere Orleans County for example.
Stafford: Which means?
Garrett: There's iffy things on both our sides.
Stafford: Hmmm.... Mmkay. I won't contest your votes.
Garrett: That's a good decision, Robert. You have my word that we won't look into your votes. Good luck.
Stafford: May the best man win, Chris... may the best man win...

Garrett: Steve, tell Peterson to get off the Stafford votes.
Thomas: What. on. earth?
Garrett: Bob won't contest our votes and we won't contest his. I just got off the phone with him.
Thomas: If you say so.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »

Im so glad its back.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »

It's back! Hooray!

Hash, can you post a county map of the results distribution so I can make you a town map?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2011, 04:12:31 PM »

(i'll skip the recount details. Garrett wins by 19 votes)

Vermont's at-large congressional district election, 1960
Rep. Christopher A. Garrett (D) 83,002 votes 50.00%
Governor Robert T. Stafford (R) 82,983 votes 49.99%

Against all odds, Garrett won a very narrow reelection bid by a mere 19 votes over heavyweight and popular Republican Governor Robert Stafford. Remarkably, Nixon - who won the state by a 17% margin - had surprisingly few coattails, meaning Garrett enjoyed support from voters who voted for Nixon over Kennedy. Garrett was helped by strong margins in the Democratic strongholds of Chittenden and Franklin Counties, which compensated for lack of strong support in most of rural Vermont.

November 8, 1960
Garrett victory speech
Burlington, Vermont

Fellow Vermonters... They said a few months ago that it couldn't be done... that it couldn't happen... Yet it did. It happened. We did it. We did it because of all of you, and for your invaluable support in this election, in the past - and future - I want to offer you my deepest and most sincere thanks.

It was the fight of my life, but I had the time of my life having the opportunity to go out there, reach out and engage the people of this great state. And, in January, my duty to you begins anew and I accept my duty with deep gratitude. I vow once more to be the representative of all Vermonters... and to be a tireless and unflagging advocate - a fighter - for the people of this great state. Vermont deserves strong representation, and that is what I will aim to provide.

As we enter the new decade, we need new energy, new leadership and new ideas. We need leaders who look forward, not backwards. Policies which help American families whatever their occupation, race, wealth or education achieve the true American dream. New ideas for a new decade, and not the old policies which tie down the American family and which are sorely outdated as we enter the 1960s.

[...] Thank you, God bless you and may God bless America! Thank you!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2011, 05:08:20 PM »

And now "Landslide Lyndon" is replaced with "Landslide Garrett".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2012, 07:15:13 PM »

Just came across this again.

Why?! Why have you abandon this great TL, Hash?! Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2012, 08:33:45 PM »

I know, this was amazing.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »

Wow, people like this. I'll get back to this, though I might speed things up. I adjusted some original stuff after I found out the details of pre-60s apportionment in the VT House/Senate.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2012, 07:37:53 PM »

I was too lazy to read summa the post-1958 stuff, but I plan on getting back in the wagon.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2012, 07:53:52 PM »

Wow, people like this. I'll get back to this, though I might speed things up. I adjusted some original stuff after I found out the details of pre-60s apportionment in the VT House/Senate.

My cartographic services remain at your disposal.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »

Lone Representative: 1961-1962

Christopher Garrett returned to Washington in January 1961, and found himself assigned to the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs. Southern Democrats, who had grown to loathe Garrett, whom they found arrogant, radical and vulgar; had been successful in their attempt to assign him to the "most boring committee in the House", and Garrett had no choice but to agree with that assessment. He had little chance at advancement as long as Southern Democrats hated his guts, and he had lost his chance to influence legislation or craft legislation of his own. His original goal had been to advance quickly through committees and gain prominence as a liberal Democratic standard-bearer, but Southern Democrats were eager to sideline him.

Garrett started absenting himself from Congress increasingly often as 1961 went on, slowly distancing himself with the world of Washington politics and immersing himself in local Vermont politics. At home, he gained a reputation as an accessible congressman, but in Washington he fell out of social circles and became known as a perennial no-show. He was fairly distant from the Kennedy administration, and met Kennedy on a personal basis only once throughout 1961. He did cheer on the Peace Corps, Kennedy's New Frontier and the goal of landing a man on the moon. But otherwise, he was far more interested by attending to local matters. Gone was the powerful orator of 1959, with grand speeches on civil rights or international relations.

Depressed and often alone, Garrett took up drinking again. He had few close confidantes throughout his second term, besides his long-time ally Steve Thomas, the rough and tumble calculator and insider to Vermont politics. Thomas was worried about Garrett, who he once referred to as the "only person in the Vermont Democratic Party who's worth a damn". He feared that Garrett would retire in 1962, leaving the Democrats as dead as in 1956.

On February 12, 1962; Thomas called up Garrett and told him that he needed to see him urgently.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »

ITS BACK! Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »

I'm Francisco Franco and I approve this timeline; otherwise I'd have the author garroted.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »

February 12, 1962
Steve Thomas' house
Burlington, Vermont

Thomas: Mr. Congressman! How are you liking Congress so far?
Garrett: Was that a serious question?
Thomas: Maybe. To be honest, I'm worried about you Chris, and your wife is too. You're rarely home, you're drinking again and you lashed out at your staff last week.
Garrett: You're not my psychiatrist, so I recommend you keep your diagnoses to yourself. What brings me here?
Thomas: Look, Chris, you can't deny that your second term has been a disaster...
Garrett: Great insight, Sherlock. Now can we move on to what brought me here?
Thomas: What are you going to do with your life? You're 43. Do you want to stay in the House until you're 60?
Garrett: Well, obviously not. But what can I do?
Thomas: Run for Governor.
Garrett almost spits out his drink in shock.
Garrett: Run for what?
Thomas: You heard me. Governor. In November.
Garrett: Why?
Thomas: Hear me out, Chris. Governor Keyser is widely seen as a cocky young novice who has no base and who has alienated half his party. The legislature loathes him, and there is much deadlock. Frankly, Keyser is an idiot.
Garrett: It wouldn't be the first cocky idiot who has been a Republican Governor of Vermont. Why would he be any different?
Thomas: Winds are changing, Chris. Jack Kennedy is popular in Vermont, our party is on an upswing since your election and there is more and more dissent within GOP ranks. It's gonna be a midterm year, and GOP turnout is always lower in those years and our turnout is strong. If you could beat a sitting Governor in a presidential year with increased turnout, you can defeat an idiot like Keyser better than anybody.
Garrett: Who are our other candidates?
Thomas: There's Niquette, who ran in 60, but he's a Catholic and he's full of it for winning 44% of the vote. There's Phil Hoff, who is our one-term rep from Burlington, and he's young and enthusiastic, but against you he's nothing.
Garrett: I remember Hoff... I campaigned for him in 60, he's a good guy... but... but... At any rate, I'm only running if I know I can win.
Thomas: You beat a popular Robert Fucking Stafford in 1960 and you overperformed Kennedy by a mile. You can win this. No contest.
Garrett: I don't have anything to lose, which is true. But...
Thomas: You will face no primary, and I will work to make sure that we nominate a nobody against Aiken so that Aiken has no reason to actually campaign and boost GOP turnout.
Garrett: I guess so...
Thomas: Are you running?
Garrett: Yes.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »

March 5, 1962
Garrett Campaign Announcement
Burlington, Vermont

Fellow Vermonters;

I have had the opportunity of serving as your Representative in Congress for the past four years, and I cannot thank you enough for the confidence you have invested in me - twice. Since day one, my only goal has been to work for the people of Vermont and do my utmost to serve the people of this great state by ensuring its success and working for its fair representation in Washington.

Throughout my political life, my work has been shaped by my solid belief in the values of freedom, justice and equality. The motto of this great state; Freedom and Unity; remains as true today as it was in the days of our illustrious forefathers, fighting for our freedom.

We are a state with a great destiny, but successive administrations in Montpelier have failed to realize our potential and have remained anchored in archaic traditions and conceptions. They have preferred satisfying narrow-minded interests or party interests rather than achieving Vermont's great potential. We need leadership which is capable of tapping into our great potential and achieving our destiny as the greatest state in the greatest nation on earth. It is for that reason that I am pleased to announce my candidacy for Governor of Vermont.

It is time for change in Montpelier, now more than ever. As America moves forward under the sage leadership of a leader who has inspired so many of us, as America moves into the future with grand visions of a better life for all; it is necessary for Vermont to break itself from the bondage of hundreds of years of one-party domination in Montpelier. We need an administration which is unafraid to lead, and which is willing to take the decisions that are needed to move us out of the 1920s and into the 1960s.

Our current Governor represents all that is bad with politics in Montpelier today. He is led by lobbyists and media editors. He has thrown himself into deadlock and conflict with legislators of his own party. He has shown his vision for this state to be rooted in archaic traditionalism.

If elected as your Governor, I pledge to work every day for the betterment of Vermont. Our taxation system must be reformed to be made more efficient, while at the same time we must attract businesses to create jobs in Vermont. We must strengthen our educational system by reinforcing our colleges and universities while rescuing our school districts from collapse. We must build a fairer society by giving those in need access to shelter and healthcare. We must have an administration which does not recoil into its nest, but which advocates for Vermont and which places Vermont on the map. Together, as a movement of Vermonters united for change, we can achieve our destiny. Vermont's greatest resource is its people. Together, we can build a stronger Vermont.

Thank you, and may God bless the great state of Vermont!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »

Governor Garrett sounds good Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »

April 30, 1962
Garrett Campaign Rally
Winooski, Vermont

[...] We live in a state whose administration and administrators are in cahoots with special interests. Governor Keyser dares not do anything that may displease his party's funders and dares not raise a finger to fight the power of lobbyists who have stained our government with their corrupt dealings. Governor Keyser dares not oppose Mr. McClure's editorial positions in the Burlington Free Press for fear of Mr. McClure lashing out at him. Governor Keyser cannot lead, because he himself is being led by the special interests and Mr. McClure.

If we want our state to move forward, we need a Governor who is not afraid to take charge as the elected representative of the people of Vermont rather than simply being the representative of the unelected special interests and big businesses of this state!

Later that night
Garrett Campaign HQ
South Burlington, Vermont

Thomas: McClure is going to make you pay dearly for what you just said. And you know that McClure has the power to do stuff.
Garrett: Manure can go fuck himself for all I care. I'll gladly take on that scumbag in whatever way I see fit if he ever crosses me.
Thomas: McClure has informers who are ready to feed him a lifeline of "information" about you.
Garrett: What kind of "information", Stephen?
Thomas: You being a lousy congressman, for starters.
Garrett: Oh, go screw yourself. I count on you to do anything you can to keep Manure from laying out sh**t on me. Am I clear?
Thomas: Yes, Chris.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »

May 5, 1962
Garrett Campaign HQ

Chris Garrett walked in to Steve Thomas' office, angrily shutting the door behind him and walking threateningly towards his campaign manager's desk. From the look on his face, it was clear that Garrett was fuming. In a fit of rage, he slammed the day's copy of the Burlington Free Press on Thomas' desk. J. Warren McClure's newspaper beamed with a huge headline reading 'REPORT: REP. GARRETT BATTLES WITH ALCOHOLISM'. Inside, the explosive story read that Garrett was battling alcoholism, often showing up visibly intoxicated to congressional committee meetings or using alcohol as a way to relieve stress. The story was sparkled with indirect quotes from unnamed sources who alleged that Garrett was an alcoholic.

Garrett: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS sh**t?!
Thomas: Chris... I'm sorry, I didn't...
Garrett: I don't give a sh**t, you didn't see this one coming. What the hell do we do now? I've been branded a goddamn alcoholic.
Thomas: We issue a statement refuting the allegations and calling out the Free Press for its journalistic style.
Garrett: What good will that do? The damage is done. We're screwed.
Thomas: No, we're not screwed. Issue a goddamn statement to refute this thing as soon as possible and the story's influence will be lessened significantly. If we wait, it will only gain legitimacy.
Garrett: You better be damn right on this one, Steve. You better be damn right.

That same afternoon, Garrett's campaign released a statement which categorically refuted all allegations, citing that Garrett had never had a drinking problem throughout his career. The statement also attacked the newspaper for its tabloid journalism and its peddling of "insidious, unfounded rumours".
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »

May 10, 1962
Garrett Campaign HQ

The Garrett campaign team holds an emergency meeting.

Thomas: Guys, I've heard from my sources that the Free Press will come out tomorrow with an explosive new story about Chris' alcohol issue which will include direct quotes from named sources in the State House and even some in Congress.
Garrett: Those pieces of sh**t. Those little, worthless, subhuman pieces of sh**t. I wonder which waste of oxygen had the fantastic idea to tell McManure about this stuff.
Thomas: Well, half of the Southern Democrats hate your guts.
Garrett: For good reason, I'm not a racist poltroon and I don't enjoy descending to their levels.
Thomas: Besides the point. We've got an explosive near-crisis on our hands here guys.
Garrett: What do we do?
Lucie: A statement would be out of place now I think... Their story is gaining legitimacy.
Garrett: Yes, pretty much... Sad to think anything McManure writes can be credible, but we live in a sad world.
Peterson: Sir, I'd recommend that you go public.
Garrett: Go public how? Tell the world "oh, yeah, I drink a lot of whiskey". Sounds real good.
Peterson: No, no, sir. Maybe admit your problem...
Garrett: I DON'T HAVE A GODDAMN DRINKING PROBLEM!
Lucie: Chris, calm down.
Peterson: You go out and say you drink on occasion, but you try to turn this thing around and attack McClure for yellow journalism.
Garrett: How would you go about doing that?
Thomas: Oh, come on, you know. You put out some fluff about leadership and all that jazz.
Garrett: Would it work?
Peterson: Nobody knows, sir, but I think it's our safest way out. We need to put a lid on this before Keyser can do anything damaging out of it.
Garrett: Well, obviously, but is spinning it the way out?
Thomas: What else is there to do?
Garrett: I took your advice on the statement, Steve, and it only fed into McManure's crusade.
Thomas: What else do you propose, Chris?
Garrett: I don't know. I'm not in charge of this goddamn campaign.
Lucie: Come on now, Chris, you're getting worked up. Go relax a bit.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »

May 15, 1962
Garrett Campaign Rally
Barre, Vermont

[...] I know the only which is on your minds right now is what the Burlington Free Press has come down with... Let me just address the allegations raised by Mr. McClure. I don't have a drinking problem, and McClure is only engaging in disgusting yellow journalism to save his friend, Governor Keyser. I don't have a drinking problem, and saying otherwise is both wrong and dishonest. I have drunk alcohol on occasion... I enjoy a good glass of whiskey after a hard day's work... just like everybody out here! But I drink with moderation, and it certainly has never affected my work. The allegations put out there by Mr. McClure are slanderous lies, and I categorically refute all of them. They're based on hearsay and spread by those who don't have an interest in this campaign being triumphant in November.

The issue, for me, in all this thunderstorm, is the disgusting yellow journalism which Mr. McClure engages him. He isn't interested in telling hard-working Vermont families the truth about our incompetent Governor and how our government is in cahoots with special interests, and that our government is entering into shady business deals with its business partners, rather than working for the people of Vermont. Mr. McClure and Governor Keyser's cohort of corrupt friends are afraid of the truth. They can't deal with the truth. So they resort to slanderous lies and attacks on my reputation to distract voters from their pitiful record...

This election isn't about how I drink whiskey or how I like to drink it... This election is about Vermont. About our future as a state, as a people. Let us make this contest about folks like you, who work hard everyday and who deserve a better deal. There are important issues on the table, which our Governor doesn't care about. Our cities are woefully under-represented and reapportionment is a pressing issue, to ensure fairness in our political representation. Our education system is struggling, and our school districts are on the verge of collapse. Governor Kesyer doesn't care about such issues, he cares about his friends in big business... not about whether you can send your kid to college!

Let's take Vermont back!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies