Pres. Obama Planning Executive Order on Immigration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:19:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pres. Obama Planning Executive Order on Immigration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pres. Obama Planning Executive Order on Immigration  (Read 5382 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« on: September 06, 2014, 07:50:11 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/us/politics/obama-said-to-delay-executive-action-on-immigration.html?_r=0

Looks like this will get pushed back until after the election.   Immigration activists will now be steaming mad since Obama kept their hopes up only to let them down.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »

That's not what I asked.  I didn't ask why an executive order is necessary.  I asked why immigration reform itself is necessary.

Essentially, why do we need to change from the status quo?

Mostly this.  While there is much about the immigration status quo I do not like, the solution here is for Obama to negotiate with GOP in the Senate and House to get a deal.  If the GOP attaches conditions Obama will not accept he should then run on the issue in the upcoming elections and let the electorate give their input on the issue.  What Obama seems to be doing is the exact opposite.  He is avoiding the issue in the 2014 elections (I think he is wrong here as well as I actually doing this will demotivate the Dem base and does not do the Dems any good) for some undefined unilateral executive action that he might take after the elections.  A unilateral executive action now actually makes more sense in the sense that the electorate can give their input on how they feel about these executive actions as to guide Obama and future administrations input on how to handle these types of situations.  
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 06:22:45 PM »

How does this demotivate the base? Executive action on immigration is going to happen, Obama has nothing to lose after the election.

Articles like 

To some, Obama’s immigration delay proves ‘it’s never convenient to help out Latinos’
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/to-some-obamas-immigration-delay-proves-its-never-convenient-to-help-out-latinos/2014/09/06/9c4a17c8-35fa-11e4-8f02-03c644b2d7d0_story.html

Immigration Activists Livid After Obama Delays Deportation Relief
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/06/obama-deportation-relief_n_5777512.html?ir=Politics

Make me suspect that.  Of course one can make the argument that segment of people that might not turn out as opposed to this is not large.  But the number of votes Obama is "saving", it seems to me, by delaying this, is even smaller.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies